Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 01:33 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times

Advertisements

Decriminalize all of it! The "war on drugs" is, has been, and forever will be an abject FAILURE!
BUT, if you use it, it means there will be a firm DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) placed on your medical records. If you OD on the dope, you gonna DIE! NO one will have ANY obligation or incentive to save you! If the dope messes up your mind to the point where you can not feed yourself, you gonna starve!
Once you become a hard-core addict, Society will disown you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 01:37 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
There is a "middle ground" between legalization and prohibition: decriminalization. Full decriminalization would essentially turn the current black market into a "grey market." It would have some of the benefits of legalization (e.g., not pointlessly and expensively putting drug users in prison, reallocation of law enforcement resources) and some of the drawbacks of prohibition (e.g., unregulated substances, involvement of criminal orgs., etc.).
That might be the best possibility for meth, crack, and PCP. Considering that criminalization has not worked.
Although in the case of meth, back when it was available by prescription there were a lot fewer problems, and there was a lot less of a black market for cocaine. Coke came back right when Nixon outlawed meth

Old 05-15-2015, 02:07 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
decriminalize possession for personal use of all drugs, that's what Portugal did and it works: Drug decriminalization has positive results in Portugal – Validated Independent News

For people who continue to use hard drugs, harm reduction is the best approach Vancouver combats heroin by giving its addicts the best smack in the world | Public Radio International

Quit calling drug abuse a crime and make it a public health issue. Quit pretending that 12 step programs are the way to treat addiction since they only seem to 'help' <5% of participants. Support research into what causes addiction (fewer than 10% of people who try a drug even numerous times actually become addicted) and figuring out how to break the cycle of sobriety/relapse,dr.carlhart - Where Drug Myths Die

Learn about how we got here Chasing the Scream | The First and Last Days of the War on Drugs

And for all of you reading this, no matter where you stand on this issue, please watch The House I live in, it's available on Netflix, vudu etc See The Movie | The House I Live In

Old 05-15-2015, 02:09 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Decriminalize all of it! The "war on drugs" is, has been, and forever will be an abject FAILURE!
BUT, if you use it, it means there will be a firm DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) placed on your medical records. If you OD on the dope, you gonna DIE! NO one will have ANY obligation or incentive to save you! If the dope messes up your mind to the point where you can not feed yourself, you gonna starve!
Do you feel the same way about fat people?

Old 05-15-2015, 02:22 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
As long as the drug can't be used to endanger the public safe, i.e. cyanide, it should be legal.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:37 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
For those of you who support some drug legalization, would you prefer to have every drug legalized and for sale at a drug store location, or would rather have some remain illegal/prescription only?

I think I would prefer that cocaine/crack remained illegal. I think that that drug is probably the worst one there is, no real medical benefit and a HUGE urge to redose. Most previous users from what I've read look back on their binges on crack as horrible decisions, moreso than people who used opiates or some other drug they got addicted to. Also a lot of people die from ODing from injecting too much. People are curious, but I think crack/cocaine should not be a legal option when making the choice to try a stimulant.

Also I think I would keep both meth and heroin illegal as there are safer, better, less intense alternatives. I would support legalizing lighter opiates like hydrocodone and possibly oxycotin, but not heroin. Likewise with meth, I would support legalizing some of the lighter stimulants, but meth is so intense and is neurotoxic, I feel it should remain illegal.
I support the regulated legalization of all drugs. The government isn't, or shouldn't be, our Daddy. People can think for themselves and decide what drugs they want to take (or not take). A lot of people are already doing this despite the War on Drugs so who is fooling who? Anyway, by giving the government the authority to tell us what to take or not to take, we essentially have made ourselves dependent on the government.

[government is a drug]

Old 05-15-2015, 07:41 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Nope. Every individual should be free to inflict as much damage on themselves as they wish.

Education works better than punishment.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:43 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
This seems to be a little much. I do believe just as overeating, drinking and cigarettes doing drugs becomes something out of ones control.

Sometimes people addictions that become hardcore, have nothing to do with drugs.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:53 PM

32,059 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
For those of you who support some drug legalization, would you prefer to have every drug legalized and for sale at a drug store location, or would rather have some remain illegal/prescription only?

I think I would prefer that cocaine/crack remained illegal. I think that that drug is probably the worst one there is, no real medical benefit and a HUGE urge to redose. Most previous users from what I've read look back on their binges on crack as horrible decisions, moreso than people who used opiates or some other drug they got addicted to. Also a lot of people die from ODing from injecting too much. People are curious, but I think crack/cocaine should not be a legal option when making the choice to try a stimulant.

Also I think I would keep both meth and heroin illegal as there are safer, better, less intense alternatives. I would support legalizing lighter opiates like hydrocodone and possibly oxycotin, but not heroin. Likewise with meth, I would support legalizing some of the lighter stimulants, but meth is so intense and is neurotoxic, I feel it should remain illegal.
I support any natural plant being legal whatever it is. But illegal drugs aren't the problem, it's the prescription drugs that are the problem

Old 05-17-2015, 02:20 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The way I see it, as long as I am not on the hook for the consequences, it's your body and your choice. That goes for everything from Meth and heroin to caffeine and skittles.

The more I am on the hook for the consequences, the more I want controls in place. That also goes for everything from meth and heroin to caffeine and skittles.
This.

Come on,how many $$$ is the goverment going to spend so that people STOP using them?

I say legalize them all.

Meanwhile,the goverment should not spend a dime on rehab,drug counseling,whatever.

People KNOW the consequences of taking drugs.

They should know if they use them,they should find a way to stop taking them on their own,with their own money.

Do not have anything? Tough Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies