Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 11:07 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Do you feel the same way about fat people?
In spite of what you may think, obesity is not, never has been, and (hopefully) never will be illegal.
Millions of taxpayer dollars have not been spent trying unsuccessfully to stop people from overeating, or selling fattening foods.
Thousands of people have not been incarcerated for overeating, spending years in jail living off the taxpayers.
However, given the current feelings towards fat people, I would not be surprised to see it come to that.
It THAT what YOU want?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 11:10 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Legalize all. Redirect the resources to arresting people who commit actual crimes that hurt other people. I don't care if someone sits around using meth all day, but it'd be nice if the police would at least make some attempt to investigate when said meth head breaks into my car or steals my property.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:12 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,868,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

By your reasoning, they are monitoring our drunken stupor, so what's the difference? It's better to be monitored than thrown in jail for possesion of a joint. This is a ridiculous and unwinnable war on the people.
Drunken stupors are what separate us from Muslims.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:21 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Alcohol is taxed and they educate us all, on the effects and shortcomings from it.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:46 AM

8,058 posts, read 12,774,958 times
No drugs should remain illegal other than use by minors. A citizen in a free country should have the choice.

What a person decides to do in the privacy of their own home should not concern others. If you DO decide to use drugs you get no welfare benefits; you made a choice and that doesn't include free food and rent.
If you use drugs and attempt to drive you would be treated as any other intoxicated driver. If you go out in public intoxicated you are thrown in jail.

Old 05-17-2015, 12:34 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
This.

Come on,how many $$$ is the goverment going to spend so that people STOP using them?

I say legalize them all.

Meanwhile,the goverment should not spend a dime on rehab,drug counseling,whatever.

People KNOW the consequences of taking drugs.

They should know if they use them,they should find a way to stop taking them on their own,with their own money.

Do not have anything? Tough Luck.
Do you feel the same way about people who get hurt riding a bicycle? "They should know if they ride that they might get hurt"...... sow

There are dozens of activities that put one in danger of injury or disease. Drugs are no different.

Old 05-17-2015, 12:37 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
In spite of what you may think, obesity is not, never has been, and (hopefully) never will be illegal.
Millions of taxpayer dollars have not been spent trying unsuccessfully to stop people from overeating, or selling fattening foods.
But billions of taxpayer dollars have been spent on medical care for obese people. The legality of drugs and obesity is immaterial.

Old 05-17-2015, 01:41 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,767,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillinout123 View Post
Jail is short term/ prison long term. Funny how you are commenting on something you clearly are ignorant of. PRISONS ALL OVER THE United States are overcrowed with people with drug charges.
I think you need to go back and look that the numbers. Jail are packed with hundreds of thousands of people on drug charges. But in prisons you will rarely find someone there on drug possession charges alone; there is almost always a corresponding felony for a property crime or violent crime that put them there.

Old 05-17-2015, 02:05 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
I think you need to go back and look that the numbers. Jail are packed with hundreds of thousands of people on drug charges. But in prisons you will rarely find someone there on drug possession charges alone; there is almost always a corresponding felony for a property crime or violent crime that put them there.
I responded to that twice, do you disagree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Depends where you are, there are still plenty of places across the US where personal possession can/will end up with a prison commitment. In California until a few years ago you could get charged with transportation of a controlled substance for walking across a parking lot with dope in your pocket, there was no requirement that there was an intent to sell, and any usable amount was sufficient for a conviction, the law has changed, but for years, in some jurisdictions, simple possession was charged as transportation and resulted in plenty of prison sentences for no good reason at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Prison or jail? Jail is still very common for possession, but not so much prison (and obviously a jail sentence cannot be very lengthy except in a few states).
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It depends where you are, in Nevada it's fairly common to end up in prison for drug possession (1-4 years) I'm not 100% sure this is still correct, but a few years ago a Nevada attorney told me that a second conviction is not probation eligible; and if you get a third felony even if the only convictions you ever had were for drug possession the DA can charge you as a career criminal with a life sentence. Unfortunately Nevada isn't very 'transparent' so it's almost impossible to find figures on how many people are doing prison terms for drug possession.
California Prisons are releasing between 10,000 and 13,000 prisoners due to prop 47 which reduced drug possession to a misdemeanor, felons who have a non-eligible commitment offense will not be released. Some other felonies were reduced in that proposition as well, but I would guess that a good number of those 10,000 + inmates were being held on possession charges. There are probably at least that number being released from County Jails where a large number of California inmates now serve their prison term for felony sentences due to AB109.

So, it's not accurate to make it sound like a rare occurrence for a person to be in prison for drug possession, it might be rare where you are, but like I keep saying "it depends"

Old 05-17-2015, 04:33 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,767,416 times
13,000 is a very small number compared to the 7 million we currently have in all corrections. Well under 1%. It is one state, but it was also the state most widely known for imprisoning people for drug possession and the largest corrections system of any state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies