Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2015, 12:17 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times

Advertisements

Read YOUR post again and tell me it wasn't "divisive". I didn't have any problem with Mrs. Obama's remarks and considering the trash that she and her family have put up with , I thought she showed admirable restraint. I am a white female.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 12:22 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Here's the real deal - any speech made by the First Lady has been looked over by a DOZEN people before she actually makes it - whether she initially wrote it herself or not, it has been examined and re-written several times.

This is not something live from the Maurie Povich show! This is not a pack of lies strung together for entertainment value! You may not agree with it but there's nothing that is really outrageous here or that is a lie. THE FIRST LADY IS SAYING THIS - it has been vetted - thoroughly - so get your head out of the sand and get with reality.

Old 05-17-2015, 12:23 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Talking I get a real chuckle when I hear some of my white brethren say things like:

1) "I've never seen any racism, therefore it no longer exists."

2) "Obama has set race relations back because he's black."

Carry on.

Old 05-17-2015, 12:25 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,111,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Ah, here we go again with "ALL" and such.:roll eyes:
You're right, I didn't realize that there is even one African-American person who does not feel discriminated against even once in his/her life, but apparently I am wrong. There is at least one, and probably more.

So, please let me apologize, and edit my post to "practically all". Thank you.

Mick

Old 05-17-2015, 12:35 PM

11,770 posts, read 5,781,921 times
No one denies there is racism in the world today - the point some of us are making is that racism or ignorance has been felt by everyone at some point in time. Many blacks use that as a crutch instead of motivation to prove those racists wrong.

There have been many discussions on here of all sorts of topics - but you always get 1 liberal to comment and make it a race issue - totally out of the scope of the discussion - but they manage to insert something they find racist - so there are some of you who also will not let it rest.

Old 05-17-2015, 12:40 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
No one denies there is racism in the world today - the point some of us are making is that racism or ignorance has been felt by everyone at some point in time. Many blacks use that as a crutch instead of motivation to prove those racists wrong.

There have been many discussions on here of all sorts of topics - but you always get 1 liberal to comment and make it a race issue - totally out of the scope of the discussion - but they manage to insert something they find racist - so there are some of you who also will not let it rest.
What I heard in that speech was a call for the graduating class not to allow racism or any kind of -ism to define or limit them.

Old 05-17-2015, 12:59 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,385,461 times
Three Reasons Michelle Obama's Tuskegee University Commencement Speech Did More Harm Than Good | The American Spectator

Old 05-17-2015, 01:29 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
It is amazing how that built in bias can warp one's view of a perfectly reasonable speech. She is speaking to Tuskegee not Harvard and her speech would appear appropriate.

Where on earth did you get this view on reaching up on a shelf? Cite the passage please.
I read about her being asked to help a shorter white woman.

At first Michelle thought nothing of it, then she decided it was racial.

Old 05-17-2015, 01:30 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Here's the real deal - any speech made by the First Lady has been looked over by a DOZEN people before she actually makes it - whether she initially wrote it herself or not, it has been examined and re-written several times.

This is not something live from the Maurie Povich show! This is not a pack of lies strung together for entertainment value! You may not agree with it but there's nothing that is really outrageous here or that is a lie. THE FIRST LADY IS SAYING THIS - it has been vetted - thoroughly - so get your head out of the sand and get with reality.
Exactly the point, divisiveness was given a green light for the first lady. Maybe we don't all agree it was the right thing to say in her position. Maybe unity would have been a better choice. My opinion.

We were asked, so we answered. I guess we should have all lied and said it was great so we aren't proliferating racism. She wanted to make that clear, she did, not everyone is happy about it. We were asked to talk about it, we are, you don't like it. Am I missing anything?

Nobody is disputing prejudice happens on here.

Old 05-17-2015, 01:40 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
What I heard in that speech was a call for the graduating class not to allow racism or any kind of -ism to define or limit them.
That's probably because you actually listened to the speech. The soundbite comes across as divisive in isolation. In the context of the speech in its entirety, you heard the same thing I did. It was a bit heavy handed but that was build up to what you just said. It also had a bit of pandering to it. The people graduating for Tuskegee aren't the ones burning cities and aren't facing the same experience today as many of her examples. She's unfortunately right that when people behave that way, they lose. Rioting reflects badly on the black community as a whole, and that point was pretty bluntly made. It shouldn't in a perfect world but the reality is that it does. I find it interesting that that aspect of the speech from the critics just isn't ever mentioned considering that's pretty much what they've been beating the dead horse on for some time now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies