Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2015, 01:15 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleidd View Post
For Michelle to focus solely on skin color and race race was a disservice to the accomplisments of these students, on their day of days.
I know really... Why couldn't she just be congratulatory and allow them to bask in their accomplishment, they worked hard and they deserve to.

Give it a rest Michele. Don't worry, they'll hopefully soon be working and paying taxes to contribute to your base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 02:35 PM

632 posts, read 932,305 times
I thought it was a great speech. She used the story of the Tuskegee Air Men, plus her own personal struggles, to motivate a group of students to persevere and hopefully gain success despite whatever struggles may come their way. She motivated them to become contributing members of society.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:37 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,312,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
But who wants to be reminded of internment camp though? Who wants to be reminded that part of the history all the time?! Most people want to move on, learn from the history and rebuild their life. Many people have friends from every racial groups, economical backgrounds. This is the United States of America 2015.
Some people get ahead through hard work, thrift, and by outperforming others. Some people get ahead by b$%&ching and moaning and playing on white guilt. Therein lies the difference.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Of course not - Black people are not the only ones to be treated like Sh%t. But that is not this discussion. This is about a speech Obama gave to a predominantly Black University. She is discussing what theses students face and will face now and in the future - not something that happened 70 years ago. BTW, I am not discounting the internment camps. That is another discussion that does not belong here.

I call her a First Lady. She is also Black and that has shaped who she is today. It cannot be discounted. Cheers.
And this is our question: what awful things will these students face at the hands of white people, exactly? Part of her examples include mean things that people said about her husband, the president. You'll pardon me if I don't weep for her.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 05-19-2015 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 05-19-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
And this is our question: what awful things will these students face at the hands of white people, exactly? Part of the examples that she lists includes mean things that people said about her husband, the president. You'll pardon me if I don't weep for her.
But if you're white, and you don't do any of these things to black people, then you haven't nothing to be upset about.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_96 View Post
But if you're white, and you don't do any of these things to black people, then you haven't nothing to be upset about.
But what do white people do to black people? Let's hear it.
I could give you some examples of black people suffering at the hands of other black people, though. That would be one looooooooooooong list.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
But what do white people do to black people? Let's hear it.
I could give you some examples of black people suffering at the hands of other black people, though. That would be one looooooooooooong list.
Trust me, black people discuss that as well.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:04 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
agreed!

But, is she a black first lady, or the first lady of the United States of America?

Just because she is black, doesn't mean other people in the united states are invisible. I would be the first one to say that black people's experience is very unique. No other minority group should tell them how to act, think, or behave like the model minority. But, How do you think somebody like myself (german/irish/hawaiian/japanese) would think about that speech?

Hello?!

Not saying she is playing victim card all the time at all, but if some Japanese-American officials talk about internment camp all the damn time, I think I would puke.
In regards to the red, I think that you should adhere to the knowledge you have in regards to the blue and realize that all Americans are still Americans but that we have different experiences.

I would also think that you shouldn't take any mention of racial discrimination personally. Mrs. Obama didn't blame you or any particular person in regards to the discrimination and special circumstances in regards to being black in America.

In regards to the Japanese, many do speak about internment and the sufferings endured during that time. It was a tragedy what happened to the Japanese and something very unique to that particular generation. Just like racial discrimination against black people is unique to each generation. Today, ours is "softer" like how Mrs. Obama described whereas in year's past it literally was terrorism and mass subjugation (and the past I am speaking of is the 1920s-1960s).

Do you get upset when Jews "never forget" the Holocaust? Do you get upset in regards to your Hawaiian roots and the cries of discrimination, subjugation, and genocide of native populations?

Personally I don't get why so many seem to think she and even myself at times are "playing a race card." People like Mrs. Obama and myself and countless other black people, don't let race get in the way of our achievements. We recognize, acknowledge, and work through the frustrations of race and come out for the better. And that is what she told the audience to do and it is something that all black youth especially should hear and know so that they don't become overly frustrated and angry about something that they cannot really change.

With your background, I would think that you would take those words - triumph over adversity and prejudice - to heart, and see it as an inspiration instead of the eye rolling race card mantra repeated by people who just don't want to acknowledge that black people don't face discrimination anymore or that past terrorism and subjugation against black people in this country has had a detrimental affect in specific areas that will take many years to overcome.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:04 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,811,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_96 View Post
Trust me, black people discuss that as well.
Did Michelle mention anything about it in her speech?

Old 05-19-2015, 03:07 PM

39,202 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
In regards to the red, I think that you should adhere to the knowledge you have in regards to the blue and realize that all Americans are still Americans but that we have different experiences.

I would also think that you shouldn't take any mention of racial discrimination personally. Mrs. Obama didn't blame you or any particular person in regards to the discrimination and special circumstances in regards to being black in America.

In regards to the Japanese, many do speak about internment and the sufferings endured during that time. It was a tragedy what happened to the Japanese and something very unique to that particular generation. Just like racial discrimination against black people is unique to each generation. Today, ours is "softer" like how Mrs. Obama described whereas in year's past it literally was terrorism and mass subjugation (and the past I am speaking of is the 1920s-1960s).

Do you get upset when Jews "never forget" the Holocaust? Do you get upset in regards to your Hawaiian roots and the cries of discrimination, subjugation, and genocide of native populations?

Personally I don't get why so many seem to think she and even myself at times are "playing a race card." People like Mrs. Obama and myself and countless other black people, don't let race get in the way of our achievements. We recognize, acknowledge, and work through the frustrations of race and come out for the better. And that is what she told the audience to do and it is something that all black youth especially should hear and know so that they don't become overly frustrated and angry about something that they cannot really change.

With your background, I would think that you would take those words - triumph over adversity and prejudice - to heart, and see it as an inspiration instead of the eye rolling race card mantra repeated by people who just don't want to acknowledge that black people don't face discrimination anymore or that past terrorism and subjugation against black people in this country has had a detrimental affect in specific areas that will take many years to overcome.

First of all, I NEVER said she was blaming me personally. Thinking that way is ridiculous.

Secondly, THE ONLY point I was trying to make is that She is the first lady of the United States of America. I SOMETIMES feel she is the first lady of black community ONLY.

Last but not least, I said "If a Japanese-American OFFICIAL talks about internment camp all the time, I think I would puke" Translation: Stirs Racial Division for Political Ends Does Not Work for me.

They say perception is reality. My perception might not be reality, it is just my perception.

I think she will make such an impact if she chose not to focus on race so many times in the past.

NOTHING more, NOTHING less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies