Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 10:37 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times

Advertisements

My duty as a citizen is to produce and follow the laws. I don't blindly support my country. If we go engage in an unjust war (which we do all the time), I will be vocal about my opposition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 10:41 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,537,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I find so many conspiracy theorist posting hate about American History. They are everywhere even on this forum. American people are just like anyone not perfect but you back your country you live in and are a citizen you don't go around bashing its history. Last one I read was someone saying how Japan was not the aggressor WW2 they were being sanctioned by the United States so Japan's Attack on Pearl Harbor was justified. They left out the reason Japan was being sanctioned was they had invaded China and other country's.
do you like what your elected officials are doing to the US of A?? its not about hating the country, its about the policies that you are paying for that they are implementing!! And the best PART is you are paying for it.... What you can't afford it... lets print more money!! whats the fed deficit now... LOL

Old 05-17-2015, 10:53 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Yes, the irony is that numerous foreigners can write (not necessarily speak) English, and can express their thoughts in English, a lot better than native-born Americans. Sad, in a way.

Mick
That is a fact. I know Chinese who have become naturalized American citizens who ask me questions on sentence structure, whether or not certain words are nouns, verbs or adjectives, and realize that most Americans would struggle to explain the correct answers to them.

Old 05-17-2015, 12:35 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
American people are just like anyone not perfect but you back your country you live in and are a citizen you don't go around bashing its history.
I beg to differ. Ignoring the skeletons in the closet benefits no one. You ignore history's lessons at your peril, and no country has a past clean enough that it's beyond criticism.

As an example, one of the reasons Germany has become a highly respected member of the international community is the fact that Germans haven't done anything to hide their crimes during the Nazi reign, but instead taken ownership and built a society that sure as all-out is not going to let that happen again.

I like Dr. Maturin's words in Master and Commander: "But you know as well as I, patriotism is a word; and one that generally comes to mean either my country, right or wrong, which is infamous, or my country is always right, which is imbecile"

Old 05-17-2015, 01:00 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,018,303 times
The U.S. is the Rome of the day. Imperialism will bring about a lot of hate.

Old 05-17-2015, 01:06 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Last time I looked, the internet is not confined to the US.

Good luck trying to control who posts what. If you use the internet, you're going to run into people who see the world differently than you do. Personally, I *like* that. Sorry you don't, it must be very painful for you to spend much time web surfing.

Old 05-17-2015, 01:22 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
If we only looked at the positive side of history, we would be pretty bad historians, wouldn't we?

Old 05-17-2015, 01:43 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
People are nuts.
I agree. If they dislike it so much here, There is an entire world out there that has plenty of room. They can leave. Easy. We will get along just fine without em!

Old 05-17-2015, 02:07 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
I find so many conspiracy theorist posting hate about American History. They are everywhere even on this forum. American people are just like anyone not perfect but you back your country you live in and are a citizen you don't go around bashing its history. Last one I read was someone saying how Japan was not the aggressor WW2 they were being sanctioned by the United States so Japan's Attack on Pearl Harbor was justified. They left out the reason Japan was being sanctioned was they had invaded China and other country's.
In a bizarre twist — after China and the US had suffered at Japanese hands — the positions of the two East Asian countries vis-à-vis the US were reversed: Japan became the ally, China the enemy. Matter of fact, Japan is considered to be US strongest ally.

So many Chinese-Americans have problems with this, which is understandable.

By the way, who helped North Vietnam and North Korea to fight the Americans? Chinese. Bet they will never bring up that part of the history.

The bottom line is that you cannot fix hatred with hatred. Better learn from history and move on.

Old 05-17-2015, 02:27 PM

13,269 posts, read 7,316,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORION83 View Post
You do realize that is correct no? The US initiated economic warfare again Japan...the only way to break Americas stranglehold on Japan was for Japan to strike militarily. It was also well known that Japan was going to but up until then there was no legit reason to join the fight against Japan and Germany. No "america haters" just realists and people that understand America never has been and never will be without fault.

Japan had invaded several Asian country's prior to economic warfare and killed 1000's of Chinese civilians. You left out that fact like others do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies