Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2015, 08:00 AM

231 posts, read 170,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
So what? If they use their SNAP benefits like that, they won't have enough to eat for the rest of the month, that's how life works.
I think you're rather missing the point, that SNAP ends up being functionally equivalent to mailing out an envelope with some $20's in it.

You can argue that SNAP should actively encourage junk food. If you legalize drugs, especially marijuana, you not only would partially empty the jails, but you could do a better job of constructing a reservation filled with the urban poor who get high, eat snack foods, and watch TV.

Jobs for the low-skilled will never come back (aside from bureaucrats of course), so it would be best just to fatten everybody up and get them settled down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 08:12 AM

42,753 posts, read 25,971,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Notaras View Post
I think you're rather missing the point, that SNAP ends up being functionally equivalent to mailing out an envelope with some $20's in it.

You can argue that SNAP should actively encourage junk food. If you legalize drugs, especially marijuana, you not only would partially empty the jails, but you could do a better job of constructing a reservation filled with the urban poor who get high, eat snack foods, and watch TV.

Jobs for the low-skilled will never come back (aside from bureaucrats of course), so it would be best just to fatten everybody up and get them settled down.
I would rather see the poor get cash instead of food stamps and let them make their own decisions on how to spend it, if they don't feed their kids CPS can intervene and deal with that, if they don't feed themselves, then that's the breaks. The Gov't never cared how/what the poor ate, the SNAP program is just a big wet kiss to agribusiness, don't you know that?

Old 05-19-2015, 08:12 AM

20,102 posts, read 16,043,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Walker and the other bastards in Wisconsin have a passed bill banning "luxury" items (Like ketchup, and canned pork & beans) from SNAP.

Addicting Info – Wisconsin GOP Passes Bill Banning Poor People From Buying Shellfish, Potatoes And Ketchup

The list of “disallowed” foods, which you can view here, also includes the following:

Cranberry sauce and pie filling. (Poor people can forget about making dessert for Thanksgiving dinner.)
Creamed vegetables
Baked beans
Pickles
Pork and beans
Frozen veggies that come in packages featuring pasta, nuts, rice, cheese, or meats
French fries and hash browns
Sharp cheddar cheese, Swiss, and fresh mozzarella, shredded and sliced cheeses (except American cheese of course), cheese food, spreads, and products. Even Kosher cheese is banned unless you apply to get a specific check for it which basically could identify who the poor Jewish people are.
Canned peas and green beans
Albacore tuna, red salmon, and fish fillets
Bagels, pita bread, English muffins
White rice and wild rice
Taco shells
Almond, rice, goat, and soy milk.
Brown eggs and any eggs produced by cage-free or free range chickens, which basically helps corporate chicken farms
Several kinds of infant food
Anything in bulk
Anything organic or natural
red and yellow potatoes

Basically, Wisconsin Republicans are making it more difficult for poor people to buy food, let alone enjoy the food they eat.
You mean they are changing them to allow only the items allowed on WIC? They want them to get food that has the most nutritional value for the buck? Oh, the horror of it all. By the way, if that really is what they are doing your list is not quite right. Here is the actual WIC list and if that was what I was GIVEN to feed my family, it would be fine: https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/public.../p4/p44578.pdf

By the way, I believe that 33% of the SNAP amount can be spent on non-WIC items, so let's be honest about that too.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:00 AM

42,753 posts, read 25,971,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
You mean they are changing them to allow only the items allowed on WIC? They want them to get food that has the most nutritional value for the buck? Oh, the horror of it all. By the way, if that really is what they are doing your list is not quite right. Here is the actual WIC list and if that was what I was GIVEN to feed my family, it would be fine: https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/public.../p4/p44578.pdf
They are requiring that SNAP recipients spend 2/3 of their benefits on food on the WIC list, WIC is a voucher program designed for pregnant /nursing mothers and children under 5. The eligible foods are those that meet the minimum guidelines for quantity and nutrition. WIC does not claim that that the 'prohibited foods' are less nutritious. Check your local Walmart dairy cabinet for WIC labels, medium and mild cheddar are 'approved' but sharp cheddar is not, even though it might be cheaper. Clearly the legislature adopted the list without even thinking this through, so they prohibited perfectly healthy foods and in some cases snap recipients spend will be spending more just to meet these new guidelines Here are some examples:

ONLY 16 ounce bags of rice or packages of tortillas. that means that if you find a 2 pound bag of rice for the same price as a 1 pound bag it won't go toward fulfilling your 67% WIC food requirement. No organic foods- even if it's cheaper than the non-organic equivalent. Bread, must be 16 ounce loaf. no organic beans, no bean soup, no refrigerated juice. Clearly none of those restrictions should apply to SNAP recipients.

SNAP is nothing more than a big wet kiss to agriculture anyway; get rid of it give people cash and let them make their own choices on how to spend the money. Treating them like adults might actually foster independence. What next, are we going to tell the poor they can only buy scratchy toilet paper because they deserve to have a sore butt?

Old 05-19-2015, 09:24 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,861,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I have seen this time and again. A checker at a store sees a buddy who has no money but wants beer. The checker rings up the purchase as grocery bypassing the scanner, the purchaser whips out the EBT and off he goes with his 12 pack. See it all the time.
The only way to bypass the scanner is to put the UPC # in manually. When that is done, and an EBT card is run, the register will deny the sale. EBT cards deny ANY sale where the UPC is put in manually. Otherwise I don't 'get' how someone can bypass the scanner and pay for an ineligible item with an EBT card. If you're seeing this "all the time" I suggest you report it to somebody. However, I really think you are exaggerating just a tad.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:57 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,138,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
The only way to bypass the scanner is to put the UPC # in manually. When that is done, and an EBT card is run, the register will deny the sale. EBT cards deny ANY sale where the UPC is put in manually. Otherwise I don't 'get' how someone can bypass the scanner and pay for an ineligible item with an EBT card. If you're seeing this "all the time" I suggest you report it to somebody. However, I really think you are exaggerating just a tad.
It's rung up as a generic grocery code. No exaggeration.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:49 PM

50,083 posts, read 46,672,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springazure View Post
When I worked at a gas station/convenience store (this was 7 yrs ago).... it was COMMON to have customers come in, purchase $30 worth of soda, chips, donuts, candy.... and guess what they used to pay for it??????? YEPPER!!! EBT!

Those same chips, soda, donuts and candy would of been 25% cheaper at the local grocery store!
I've seen it too, at a liquor store right across the street from an actual grocery store. It even had/has a big sign in the window announcing it.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:25 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,882,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsApt View Post
When you figure out how to live rent free, let me know
If everyone knew the rest of us work just has hard to live life of some comfort......we would be better off for it. I have seen generations of poor families, all fell to the same notion....."it's all the better they could do!" Some happen to have been family members who didn't want to work all day, certainly not everyday.

Free rent can happen if one works hard enough to pay off the house they could afford, not the house they want.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:26 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,882,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Lobster tomorrow!
Why are you saying this knowing some people are sticking up for SNAP being for the poor? Just an easy answer will do....

Old 05-19-2015, 03:28 PM

934 posts, read 592,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Might as well buy it now. Not like we are ever going to go hungry. The SNAP simply improves the quality of food we buy. It is a great government program.
You keep on.changing.your story. Something smells rotten, dont.believe your story is true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies