Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 05:39 AM

110 posts, read 86,742 times

Advertisements

I've been traveling extensively in Western Europe for some time. On my own. I meet a lot of people.

During this time, I've met gay people. Lesbians and gays alike. And they were married. In one instance, a Belgian couple of really nice ladies, have been married for years now.
Belgium was the first (or second) country in the world to accept SSM. And nobody objected. No big controversies, no protests, no drama.
Gay people can marry, adopt or have kids, divorce, ...

I've spoken to a Belgian priests. He said he wasn't a supporter of it, but since the marriage was strictly a civil thing, and not a religious thing, he didn't mind. In his view, people should do whatever they feel like doing, as long as he was free to believe in whatever he wanted.

So I don't understand. Belgium has a right-wing nationalist government. Christian conservatives have been running the place since the dawn of man...
Belgium is a modern society, just like ours. They have a solid economy, people are safe and healthy. It's not a communist walhalla like we imagine.
It's not that different form the US. So why are we making such a fuzz? It's stupid. Don't we have more pressing issues than two men/women forming a civil union?
I've stayed with the gay couple. They have two adorable daughters and they run the family just like a good heterosexual family would. The eldest daughter is 16 and has a boyfriend. The mothers didn't try to make her 'gay' and the boy has to adhere to the same rules a normal family would have (no sleepovers and such).
The only difference is that the girls have two mothers. A mama Christine and Mama Nathalie.

Why do we always have to complicate things? Why do we have to fight each other? We fetter about stupid issues like the sex lives of other people but we are too blind to see our fabric, our nation is being destroyed by politicians of all creed, by greed and by hate.

I don't want to do that anymore. America is sliding away and we are to busy with bickering to see it.

Please. Stop...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 05:48 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Part of the reason is people like yourself that always want to bring it up.

Act like its not a big deal and then it soon won't be.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:09 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Please stop trying to color an orange red and calling it an apple. "Gay" "marriage" is not marriage! It is a perversion!

Old 06-01-2015, 06:16 AM

110 posts, read 86,742 times
Nice additions. But not to the point. Don't deflect. Call it whatever you want, the fact is that we are running amok like a bunch of preschoolerswhile other civilized places seem to do it without any issues.
How come?

Old 06-01-2015, 06:20 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,052,654 times
Just like Global Warming is still a debate in the States while the rest of the world does a massive facepalm.

Catch up, America. We're waiting, my friends.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:24 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Lightbulb Why is SSM such an issue here?

It's just not a controversy that concerns me all that much.

That said, I see it as part of an overarching principle:

If America truly is "the land of the free" as we've been led to believe, then our society should be a lot more about expanding rights than picking out minority groups to restrict them from.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:26 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,052,654 times
It's the land of the free for sure..... if you're white and have Christian beliefs.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:33 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
If people stop bringing up this degenerate subject, then it wouldn't be an issue.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:42 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,317,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
If people stop bringing up this degenerate subject, then it wouldn't be an issue.
Oh, I get it. If society hides everything regarding this topic in a closet then people like you can pretend it doesn't exist. Makes you happy but others miserable. What an quaint little tradition.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:42 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,998,265 times
About 25% of this country has a need to be morally offended. That's mostly white southern males who feel increasingly irrelevant. They need an avenue to vent their anger and frustration so they pick some stupid topic and rant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies