U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 08:41 AM

1,353 posts, read 3,301,872 times

Advertisements

I find it extrememely hard to believe that Abe Lincoln would be a Republican today since the Republican Party of the 1860s was a completeley different animal than today's conservative GOP. Even though he was a moderate, his party's base of support was in the Northeast/New England and was made up of former Whigs, Free Soilers, Radical Republicans and abolitionists (i.e., America's first "bleeding-heart liberals"). The Democratic Party was the party of "states rights", wealthy plantation owners and slave-holders, and rather arch-conservative elements.

Abe Lincoln first made a name of himself by speaking out against the Mexican-American War in the Illinois legistlature, as a war that was only meant to expand slavery westward (can you say "ANTI-WAR LIBERAL")

Abe Lincoln was also hated in the South (he didn't recieve a SINGLE VOTE in the South!), was even accused to being half-black, even though he was not as radical as some other Republicans.

My question is this: if Abe Lincoln were alive today, what contemporary politician is he most like? I'm guessing a rather mainstream liberal from the Midwest like Russ Feingold....or perphaps even Barack Obama
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 08:46 AM

1,079 posts, read 1,602,104 times
He also destroyed the idea of state's right. Which is a pretty good liberal idea. Didn't he also get our first (albeit temporary) income tax passed to pay for the war?

Yeah, I tend to agree with you on this...then again, I've never been a big Lincoln fan.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:09 AM

16,248 posts, read 22,246,725 times
He would be a Democrat today. As would Ike Eisenhower. 2 really good Presidents.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:25 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,371,626 times
A lot of what Lincoln did was unconstitutional, he transformed himself into a dictator. Sounds like a Democrat, or at least a Bush Republican.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:30 AM

61,548 posts, read 44,469,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
He also destroyed the idea of state's right. Which is a pretty good liberal idea. Didn't he also get our first (albeit temporary) income tax passed to pay for the war?

Yeah, I tend to agree with you on this...then again, I've never been a big Lincoln fan.

I've read that one of Huckabee's ideas is no states' rights on moral issues, I'd say the destruction of states' rights is promoted on both sides of the aisle.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:12 AM

20,301 posts, read 20,224,069 times
Actually I doubt Abe would even be in politics today. No honor no honesty most definetly no loyalty to America in todays politics. He wouldn't get elected to town councilman.
Our founding fathers if there is an after life are most likely shaking their heads in disgust at what our politics have turned into.
No less than they are disgusted by todays ambulance chasing lawyers.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:53 AM

1 posts, read 32,569 times
I think that there is a good chance that Lincoln would be a liberal Democrat today. Through out the history of the United States, the South has voted as a bloc. The South today is strongly Republican. The Republican party was the more progressive party in the 1800s. The progressiveness of the parties have slowly reversed. Just look at Strom Thurmond, who started his career as a southern Democrat and ended his career as a Republican.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:56 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,506 posts, read 18,374,633 times
WTH? LMAO What a lame topic. You're missing Bush already, aren't you?

Old 09-02-2009, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 31,096 times
Abraham Lincoln would have had to be a liberal because only liberal democrats are for African American rights, Woops I forgot about Sen. Robert Byrd {Democrat} used to be in the KKK. Do your research before you open your liberal mouth it makes you sound even more stupid than you are.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:52 PM

5,165 posts, read 5,526,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
He would be a Democrat today. As would Ike Eisenhower. 2 really good Presidents.
what an indepth well substantiated opinion. "2 really good Presidents."

Im starting to think you maybe a neocon plant trying to make the neolibs look stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies