Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 06:00 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John2064 View Post
Texas and Chicago may not have much in common but I bet the people involved in most of the shootings/murders in both places had one thing in common.........
I think I know what you are pointing to. And before you point to it, think about this. If this is such a concern, what do you propose we do to prevent more murders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 06:03 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Remember how Obama said that Chicago is a "blueprint for national gun laws"? Can the liberals let us all know how that gun control is working out?

Oh, and let us know how many people were shot in "trigger happy" Texas last weekend.

49 people shot in Chicago over weekend: 'Whole bunch of shots' - Chicago Tribune

Yes, and it looks like Cuomo's "SAFE" act is working like a charm, too.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:54 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,769,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John2064 View Post
Texas and Chicago may not have much in common but I bet the people involved in most of the shootings/murders in both places had one thing in common.........
They both were on American soil?

Old 06-18-2015, 01:01 PM

638 posts, read 977,732 times
Liberals make me laugh

Old 06-18-2015, 03:03 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There is something more I want to add. So many people are pointing to Chicago. Baltimore is a city to look at. In Maryland strict gun control legislation has been passed. Baltimore is one of the most murderous cities in the nation, the top 5 for cities of 250,000+ residents. New Jersey has strict gun laws. Newark has a murder rate higher than Chicago.

One thing to consider is this. Chicago's gun laws are strict, but Chicago gun laws are different from Illinois gun laws. Maryland and New Jersey, on the other hand, have stricter gun laws. However, Maryland has one of the highest murder rates among U.S. states. Stricter gun laws have not done any good. In New Jersey, it is next to impossible to legally transport a gun into the state without permission from the police. Gun permits from other states are not recognized in New Jersey. It doesn't stop Newark from being such a violent city, with a murder rate worse than Chicago's.

Newark had nation's third highest murder rate in 2013, FBI says | NJ.com

Newark, in 2013, had a murder rate of 40 murders per 100,000. Compare this to Chicago's 18 murders per 100,000. I live in the Atlanta suburbs. Atlanta proper had a murder rate of 20 murders per 100,000, somewhat higher than Chicago.
Chicago's murder rate of 15/100,000 isn't unusual. It's lower than Miami, Washington DC, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Oakland, Atlanta, Cincinnati, Birmingham, Cleveland, Philadelphia, etc. It's MUCH lower than Memphis, Detroit, St Louis, Baltimore, New Orleans, etc.

Chicago's rate is roughly the same as Oklahoma City from the latest stats I saw. They all fluctuate from year to year which makes it hard to compare, but I'm curious the media obsession with Chicago's murder rate - as there are cities with higher/similar rates that completely fly under the radar. I think it's just because the two largest cities have very low murder rates for the USA, so Chicago has the highest sheer number.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:50 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Chicago's murder rate of 15/100,000 isn't unusual. It's lower than Miami, Washington DC, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Oakland, Atlanta, Cincinnati, Birmingham, Cleveland, Philadelphia, etc. It's MUCH lower than Memphis, Detroit, St Louis, Baltimore, New Orleans, etc.

Chicago's rate is roughly the same as Oklahoma City from the latest stats I saw. They all fluctuate from year to year which makes it hard to compare, but I'm curious the media obsession with Chicago's murder rate - as there are cities with higher/similar rates that completely fly under the radar. I think it's just because the two largest cities have very low murder rates for the USA, so Chicago has the highest sheer number.
It's lower than most of these cities, except DC. DC has a murder rate of 13 murders per 100,000. It is definitely lower than the 5 cities you referenced. One reason I brought up Baltimore. I felt like "if you want to talk about gun laws and murder, talk about Newark and Baltimore". Those cities are in states with stricter gun laws than Illinois, but those cities have higher murder rates than Chicago.

Atlanta seems to fly under the radar. So does Cincinnati and Birmingham. Kansas City too. I'm wondering if the obsession with Chicago has something to do with President Obama having lived there.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:17 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,882,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blind melon View Post
Texas just had a blood bath in which 25 were shot and 9 killed in one day alone
That was a act of Terrorism and does not count.

If a armed Texan was there that Islamic Radical would be put down like the mad Dog he was. With a Good old fashion Colt 45 Six Shooter.

How do like those Apples Buck Wheat?

Old 06-19-2015, 08:36 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
They get their guns from the south, where buying a gun is like buying a toy. I say we cut off the "head of the snake" and watch our gun problems disappear.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:39 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
That was a act of Terrorism and does not count.

If a armed Texan was there that Islamic Radical would be put down like the mad Dog he was. With a Good old fashion Colt 45 Six Shooter.

How do like those Apples Buck Wheat?
Murder is murder, no matter the motivation.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:02 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,432,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Remember how Obama said that Chicago is a "blueprint for national gun laws"? Can the liberals let us all know how that gun control is working out?

Oh, and let us know how many people were shot in "trigger happy" Texas last weekend.

49 people shot in Chicago over weekend: 'Whole bunch of shots' - Chicago Tribune

If this complete from reality nonsense is the anti-gun controls full critical analysis of gun legislation. . .

there isn't any point in arguing. Don't argue with a fool, an observer won't tell a difference.

I mean seriously. .technically your just saying "Chicago gun policies should be nation wide as a limited policy that impacts a city is not useful"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies