Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 12:03 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackAmerican View Post
^^^I'm sure those Asians surpassed the poor trailer park whites as well.
The Asians have overtaken whites on a per capita income basis.....and I applaud them for their achievement. It's an awesome....only in America thing. It's proof the American dream is alive and well. These shirtless Vietnamese and Cambodians work their bones off----and their kids' make more money than whites. That's what it's all about....for people with my political leanings.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:45 PM

200 posts, read 278,930 times
Dag nab it here we go

Black Americans are doing fine. As someone else said 70% of us are living normal lives and mind you this is after decades of legal sanctions to keep us from doing so. The big problem I feel some folks have is perception. Asians were sold the American dream and therefore assimilated to look like it. Black Americans on the other hand didnt have that luxury, systematically kept from it so now we wear success differently and will continue to do so.

Someone else said something about black kids call the smart kids uncle toms. No. Thats not what that term means at all and this phenomenon of black kids looking down on smart kids just isn't happening. Take it from someone who was a smart black kid living in the hood at one point in my life.

But who cares what this professor has to say anyway? We are going to keep unapologetically doing us which again is something some people don't understand. Most want us to just assimilate and be good negros. Nope.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:57 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stationplay View Post
Dag nab it here we go

Most want us to just assimilate and be good negros. Nope.
Keep believing this and your people will continue to be marginalized for another 400 years. Either buy in, or you will be left behind. The global economy is ruthless and doesn't care about people's excuses for not keeping up.

Thank goodness the Asians have assimilated---and hopefully the Mexicans move more in this direction. This only makes the blacks appear more pathetic though. But keep your pants on the ground....keep it real....don't assimiliate....just do your own thing. Just please STOP your effing complaining when your people are wallowing in poverty.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:06 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
I taught high school in a black-majority school in CA. During the eighties there was a huge influx of the boat people refugees from Cambodia and Laos. These kids came here not speaking the language, extreme poverty, different religions and culture, and many of the kids had been raped and robbed by pirates at sea or had lost much of their family. Yet, these students and their parents or relatives were so grateful for this free education they worked during lunch and recess. They had no resources except their community network, yet somehow their culture taught them the importance of education, hard work, manners, and civility.

The black kids were NOT getting this from their community. Mostly, they were undisciplined, disrespectful of adults, and
could care less about education. Many of these black kids came from fourth generation welfare families and neighborhoods and didn't even know anyone who held a job. The comparison of these two cultures was shocking. Scholarships were often ignored by the black kids and their parents--- too hard. While the Asian students gobbled any opportunities up.

Whites were doing everything they could to help these kids, and yet it was the black community that was failing them and trying to blame it on racism etc, etc.
I feel like we lost a whole generation of black kids do to our lack of courage in admitting what was REALLY going on.
Whites are too afraid of being called racist. We need both black and white leaders to stand up and speak the truth about large segments of black culture.

Of course there are high-performing blacks. But no other culture in America is having as profound and serious cultural s problems as blacks are. We can either admit it, deal with it intelligently, or keep ignoring it in exchange for votes.
I think you are lying.

It would be hard pressed for a kid to not know anyone with jobs. Also it would be hard pressed to not have any good black students in a predominantly black high schools. Even the ones with dismal scores usually have 20-30% of the students performing well academically and most of the poor black high schools that I have been affiliated with have a good group of graduates who claim hundreds of thousands of scholarships every year.

How could they come from 4th generation welfare in the 1980s? Welfare hadn't been around for 4 generations in the 1980s

The rest of your blurb reeks of conservative media talking points.

Black American's culture is American culture.

As stated, I also went to school with many Asian refugees in the 1980s. More than half of them struggled with the language difference and didn't do extraordinarily well in school. About 4 of them did in my grade level as we were all in the TAG program. But out of the 50 of us, only 4 were Asian/Vietnamese. The rest of us were white (22 were white), black (16 were black, including me), Hispanic (7 were Chicano - Mexican heritage but 4th generation American), and we had an Iranian/Arab.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:49 PM

@flashes1
I see you ignored everything else I said in order for you to get your agression out.

So... 20% of Black Americans are working poor/impoverished which is a high percentage. 70% are not. We didn't get an equal piece of the pie for a while so those numbers aren't surprising. None of that is complaining its fact. Also Im not apart of that 20% but because im culturally connected to the 20% by one generation im sensutive to the struggle. Hell Im one bad decision away.

You also say "it makes blacks appear more pathetic" which adds to my original point. Perception. The fact that most of us dont care what you think is the big problem with guys like you.

Trust in the next few decades as more and more Black Anericans pull each other up out the trenches the end result isnt going to look like what people like you want it to look like and there will yet another talking point or stereotype to sqwak about

TUH

Old 05-20-2015, 02:38 PM
fzx

399 posts, read 511,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stationplay View Post
@flashes1
I see you ignored everything else I said in order for you to get your agression out.

So... 20% of Black Americans are working poor/impoverished which is a high percentage. 70% are not. We didn't get an equal piece of the pie for a while so those numbers aren't surprising. None of that is complaining its fact. Also Im not apart of that 20% but because im culturally connected to the 20% by one generation im sensutive to the struggle. Hell Im one bad decision away.

You also say "it makes blacks appear more pathetic" which adds to my original point. Perception. The fact that most of us dont care what you think is the big problem with guys like you.

Trust in the next few decades as more and more Black Anericans pull each other up out the trenches the end result isnt going to look like what people like you want it to look like and there will yet another talking point or stereotype to sqwak about

TUH
Where is the other 10%?? FYI, I am an Asian

Old 05-20-2015, 02:44 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachlooter View Post
Duke Professor Defends Comments Comparing Blacks, Asians - ABC News

Updated: James B. Duke Professor Jerry Hough makes controversial comment on New York Times editorial | The Chronicle

Basically, this professor stated that asians have faced a lot of discrimination too, but have succeeded in society because they worked doubly hard and don't feel sorry for themselves.

What do you all think?

Honestly, this is exactly how I feel about it. Both face discrimination, but how they respond to it makes all the difference.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzx View Post
Where is the other 10%?? FYI, I am an Asian
'DOH! (this is funny for a number of reasons lol)

Old 05-20-2015, 06:30 PM

231 posts, read 171,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
The global economy is ruthless and doesn't care about people's excuses for not keeping up.
People probably need to get this tattooed on their arm somewhere. +1000 rep points or something.

I just finished up a gig with a medium sized multinational and got to really see this in action. Different countries did different things well, and the relentless drive to lower build cost on products is pretty breathtaking.

Bitching will accomplish nothing.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:35 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Notaras View Post
People probably need to get this tattooed on their arm somewhere. +1000 rep points or something.

I just finished up a gig with a medium sized multinational and got to really see this in action. Different countries did different things well, and the relentless drive to lower build cost on products is pretty breathtaking.

Bitching will accomplish nothing.
The thing is, bitching works for some people. Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, a select few in academia and the newsmedia, have gotten ahead through bitching. But it doesn't help the vast majority of black people. And that's why another tactic should be tried.
And of course, all of these people are useless members of society. If you really want to do something meaningful in the world, whining isn't the way to get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies