Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2015, 06:08 PM

876 posts, read 1,000,715 times

Advertisements

It sounds like a radical concept. A form of democracy with no voting. But is it really that far-fetched?

Here is how wikipedia defines democracy:

"Democracy is "a system of government in which all the people of a state or polity ... are involved in making decisions about its affairs"

Democracy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I want to highlight this part:

"in which all the people of a state or polity ... are involved in making decisions about its affairs"

So democracy at it's core is merely the idea that the people are involved in making decisions about society? Then does this not mean that strictly speaking, there is no rule that says voting HAS to be a part of a system in order for it to quality as a democracy?

I should probably explain a bit why I am even asking this...

See, I am sick. Like REALLY sick. Of the kind of BULL that modern politics are giving us. I am talking about the corrupt, childish and blatantly self-serving carrier politicians that pretend to care about us. I am talking about how almost nothing appears to get done because the politicians appear to care more about destroying each others political efforts than they are with actually governing the country. I am talking about the fact that even though anyone can start a political party on paper, only the select actually get anywhere because the whole game is rigged in favor of the reigning order.

Some suggest direct democracy is the solution to this, but I disagree for I believe it would be no different from mob rule and believe such as system is simply too idealistic to work in practice.

So, what I want is some kind of system that that stays true to the democratic ideal that everyone has some part in shaping their society (regardless of wealth or social status, mind you) but WITHOUT the need for any kind of voting. An "organic democracy" of some kind.

What kind of possible democratic system do you think could be created (if any) that could make such a thing possible? Because if **** doesn't get fixed soon I just might vote for the next Mussolini instead or some **** . Anything looks attractive compared to the crap we have currently, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 06:35 PM

231 posts, read 171,611 times
Luckily, you don't live in a democracy.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:42 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Notaras View Post
You beat me to it!

We live in a federal republic, which isn't a pure democracy.

federal republic
noun - a form of government made up of a federal state with a constitution and self-governing subunits
Examples
The United States of America is a federal republic on the continent of North America.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:44 PM

934 posts, read 595,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Notaras View Post
Democratic Republic

Old 05-19-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blind melon View Post
Democratic Republic
The United States is, indeed, a republic, not a democracy. Accurately defined, a democracy is a form of government in which the people decide policy matters directly--through town hall meetings or by voting on ballot initiatives and referendums. A republic, on the other hand, is a system in which the people choose representatives who, in turn, make policy decisions on their behalf.

Just because we vote for representatives, congress, and higher offices such as the President... it doesn't make us a democracy. This is why the popular vote isn't used to determine the Presidency.

We are a Federal Republic, period!

Old 05-19-2015, 11:08 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,428,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
The United States is, indeed, a republic, not a democracy. Accurately defined, a democracy is a form of government in which the people decide policy matters directly--through town hall meetings or by voting on ballot initiatives and referendums. A republic, on the other hand, is a system in which the people choose representatives who, in turn, make policy decisions on their behalf.

Just because we vote for representatives, congress, and higher offices such as the President... it doesn't make us a democracy. This is why the popular vote isn't used to determine the Presidency.

We are a Federal Republic, period!

Really? We're not a Democracy? You should have told that to St Ronald Reagan. He often referred to America as a democracy, including 18 times in his 1988 State of the Union address

Old 05-20-2015, 12:13 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Nitpicking definitions aside, it's actually an interesting question. Can we have a government of the people, by the people etc. by using a different method from voting? Some have kicked around the idea of drafting one chamber of parliament by drawing lots among the citizens - essentially the concept of jury duty on a larger scale.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Really? We're not a Democracy? You should have told that to St Ronald Reagan. He often referred to America as a democracy, including 18 times in his 1988 State of the Union address
Look up... we are not a pure democracy. Our founding fathers made sure we were NOT a democracy. EVERY politician seems to like the term, even though it's completely wrong.

Please name one President who hasn't referred to us as a democracy? Why single out Reagan? Were you even an adult during the Reagan years, or do you just hate him based on revision based history? Those were the best days of my working life. No wars, strong economy, crushed the USSR through economics, and the US enjoyed the best international standing since WWII.

The major things he got entirely wrong was his war on drugs, and amnesty.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:42 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
The USA is presently an oligarchy masquerading as a democratic republic.

People do have the vote, but they pointlessly waste it by voting party instead of candidate.

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 05-20-2015 at 02:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies