Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2015, 04:57 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I know I own a landscape company. My lowest paid ditch digging worker makes two dollars more an hour than minimum. That's my choice not the governments.
That I agree with

Old 05-20-2015, 05:10 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,432,562 times

What idiotcracy.

States have higher minimum wages, and they often have higher growth. Yet thats like these idiotic comments about gun control and Chicago. Ever stop to think what is the correlation? Do you have higher minimum wages because of higher growth rates, so business don't care if you raise minimum wage (they have to pay it anyway?)

Plus - it depends on the wage increase and location. Going to $15 in a lot of places won't matter (already high wage rates especially in high growth areas) and it will hurt areas where the wages are really low right now, low growth.

Raising the minimum wage increases cost on employer. Now employer will make decisions. Unemployment for its workers (higher workers only if they are worth $15 for example . .and cut a few people) is an option. Its one of many options. But the dollars don't magically appear. They either increase prices, increase unemployment, or impact ancillary business to service "Look potato company. . you need to double the amount of illegals and give us a significant cut on potato prices. Otherwise we are going to cut your potatoes with beet dust to make up for our increased labor prices"

Old 05-20-2015, 05:19 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,432,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Really, now that is not nice. Without folks digging ditches we would not have damns
and possible no Los A. at all. Well maybe, I'll skip that part
. . cut meaningless quote . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post

Folks would not get a meal after not wanting to cook after a hard day digging ditches (as you call it).

There is nothing wrong with working with one's hands. It is an honest day's work. And, it is not as
easy as it looks, even for one who thinks they have intellect.

I can't always say the same thing about folks who sit on their ass at a computer all day,
doing absolutely nothing constructive, like I am doing right now

I would agree that the above poster was a little harsh. I mean deserve, at the end of it, has nothing to do with it. People don't deserve a job, don't deserve food on the table, don't deserve anything. They deserve the ability to pursue happiness. . . You don't automatically get handed that. That isn't how we built the most prosperous society mankind has ever participated in (the most people the best off).

Quote:
It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest.
- Adam Smith

People today spend to much on the idea of "deserve". Deserve isn't a rationale for hiring or labor. You don't pay Bob $15 an hour because he 'deserves' it. You pay Bob $15 because he provides that much value to you. . and he is a good deal. That may suck for some. . .but on the whole it has really benefited a lot of people globally.

Do I deserve 50+ an hour for playing on a computer and telephone all day? No.

If my employer wanted to reduce my salary to $40 an hour would I keep working here? no.

hence we have come to an agreement. I accepted a salary and I do what they want for work.

There is no honesty in work. There is no better work for playing on computers, digging on ditches, or flipping burgers. There is just the value. How many people can do what you can do. Too many - and your going to be screwed. a minimum wage won't help you. Soon enough Mcdonalds will go the way of amazon . . .and your tractor trailers and planes will be piloted by machines as well.

education and ability is the only way to prepare for the future

a minimum wage will only bandaid on the cancer, that will kill you anyway.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:43 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
Let's see so now a married couple of minimum wage workers will now make close to 60K per year. Guess there goes the food stamps, the free cell phone, the obama care subsidy, and section 8 housing assistance. Oh... and your household gets to PAY into the IRS at a higher %. And you get to pay more for everyday goods and services. LOL... Yea... your going to love it..... *sarcasm off* Welcome to the real world.........

Sometimes you need to be careful what you wish for..... you just might get it........

Old 05-20-2015, 05:47 PM

943 posts, read 781,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
A bunch of businesses closing and an increase in costs for products will be great for the working poor.

I mean, who even needs small business. If a business cannot afford to pay a burger flipper 50k a year they should just close.
I can't wait to post in a year or 6 months from now to prove you wrong. See you in the future!!

Old 05-20-2015, 05:49 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
A city making a decision based on local desires. The people of Los Angeles want this apparently.

So why should I argue against it?

Old 05-20-2015, 05:55 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I still remember you are the one who said raising minimum wage would cause our jobs being moved to oversea. How is that a good move for LA?
You are probably thinking of someone else, I don't recall ever saying that seeing I have always been for raising the minimum wage. Besides the jobs that tend to get shipped overseas isn't minimum wage jobs.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:55 PM

943 posts, read 781,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
What idiotcracy.

States have higher minimum wages, and they often have higher growth. Yet thats like these idiotic comments about gun control and Chicago. Ever stop to think what is the correlation? Do you have higher minimum wages because of higher growth rates, so business don't care if you raise minimum wage (they have to pay it anyway?)

Plus - it depends on the wage increase and location. Going to $15 in a lot of places won't matter (already high wage rates especially in high growth areas) and it will hurt areas where the wages are really low right now, low growth.

Raising the minimum wage increases cost on employer. Now employer will make decisions. Unemployment for its workers (higher workers only if they are worth $15 for example . .and cut a few people) is an option. Its one of many options. But the dollars don't magically appear. They either increase prices, increase unemployment, or impact ancillary business to service "Look potato company. . you need to double the amount of illegals and give us a significant cut on potato prices. Otherwise we are going to cut your potatoes with beet dust to make up for our increased labor prices"
No, it just means the employer has to make less and the profits are smaller. It shifts the cost, it doesn't increase it.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:57 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
But you can't live on $15 per hour, so maybe they should add rent controls. Limit the rent for a 1 bedroom apartment to $500 per month. And you can't buy the food you need on $15 per hour, so they should implement food price controls. And how about clothing. Everybody needs clothing, so they should implement clothing price controls. Isn't that what made the Soviet Union so successful?
You are doing better and able to have more money to spend on necessities at a higher wage. We are talking minimum wage here, it should at least keep up with the rate of inflation and the COL of areas within the country.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:02 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX City visiting View Post
I don't mind paying extra dollar or two for something as long as they treat their employees better and offer them better wages, and with better wages they will spend more = better for the economy. When you offer people crappy slave wages means government must provide them socialized benefits which will cost tax payers. Think twice, look how other 1st world countries are doing!
Not me. I will always look for a deal. Besides, be a cold day in hell before I go to the left coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies