Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2015, 08:21 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Everytime min wage goes up people use these arguments and they never happen. If a business can not afford to pay their employees a decent wage then they need to have less employees until they can afford to pay more but seems on here people wil make any excuse so businesses can pay low wages.
What would you suggest those "less employees" do? Eat dirt?

Old 05-20-2015, 09:08 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX City visiting View Post
All prices always goes up, that's how inflation work. Wages have not kept up with inflation.. and I don't think rent prices will increase. Supply and demand! Economy 101
Adjusted for inflation, minimum wage today is nearly double what it was in 1938... wages have more than kept up with inflation.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:11 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
I see that right-wingers are 100% in agreement that raising the minimum wage will be a disaster...

How much more proof do you need that it's a great idea? When was the last time they were right about anything?

Old 05-20-2015, 09:43 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
I see that right-wingers are 100% in agreement that raising the minimum wage will be a disaster...

How much more proof do you need that it's a great idea? When was the last time they were right about anything?
When is the last time that raising minimum wage resulted in more long term purchasing power for minimum wage earners? Oh, that's right, never.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:45 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post

In all honesty I'm not convinced it will be a disaster in the long run; a prohibitively high minimum wage that covers a huge number of businesses in the same state as Silicon Valley will help drive innovation in technological and business process automation which will be good for long term productivity and growth.

That said, you can't ignore the people who won't get jobs at all on the new minimum, especially all the young folks who will find the bottom rungs of the workforce partially kicked out, or the middle class folks making ~20/hr now & pensioners who will find that their money doesn't go as far anymore.

*shrug* you can feel free to support it because a lot of people on the right are strongly opposed -- and the feeling is mutual in the opposite direction for many others -- but just as there are lives that will be helped by this there are many that will be hurt as well. Maybe I'm more sensitive to this than others because I didn't transition seamlessly from college to the workforce and low-wage work, at least for a little bit, is how you (and in the past tense, I) break into the formal workforce in that situation, which is the case for a lot of young people at the start of their careers. Take that away and you hurt young people who graduate from school unemployed extremely badly.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:50 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
yet they're faced with the fact that people gladly pay very well indeed to live here.
If they are glad to pay very well to live there they don't need a raise.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:52 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
It's a lot of money for someone just flipping the burgers whose work is not even worth $10/hour.
Those burger flippers very likely work harder than you do, provided you even work at all.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:55 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Those burger flippers very likely work harder than you do, provided you even work at all.
Didn't you hear, all right wingers on city data are wealthy business owners.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:01 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Didn't you hear, all right wingers on city data are wealthy business owners.
....and further males and made out of straw, I suppose?

Old 05-20-2015, 10:21 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Unless some blond haired blue eyed 20 year old with a 2 year degree shows up and wants the manager's job, guess who gets it then. All this hard work pays off rhetoric is nice but rarely works out the way you think it does
Yep, the two year degree is a qualification. No, it's not always easy, but anything I post will be met with another reason why it's "not easy." Here's a hint, it never is, and if that's what you want, then you lose. The blonde with the 2 year degree paid money for classes and worked for it. I can't promise that working hard leads to great results. I do know it happens and have a relative that started out literally sweeping the floors and is now doing extremely well. What I can promise is that whining about it not being easy and that somebody else comes along with another qualification leaves you asking the government to improve your lot because somebody did it better. It's not the fault of the company, it's how you measure up to the person that took your job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies