Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2015, 12:01 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I'm sorry but that is not going to happen in a few years, you may want it to happen but it wont.
It's already happening.

Quote:
Even when or if it does happen you still need people to prep and cook the food and maintain the equipment.... so there will still be fast food workers in the future.
Sure, you can have 20 people making $10 an hour or 10 making $15 an hour with the argument that those 10 have to pay higher taxes to support the 10 without a job.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:05 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Yes that's the article. He thinks the reason why OZs economy isn't fairing well is because of the hike but it's really just a slowdown of the boom, especially in mining.

Quote:
The review said: "In terms of empirical studies of the effects of minimum wages in practice, the impact of a minimum wage in overall labour costs is on the lower paid end of the labour market and research tends to support the view that the impact is rather small.
Fact check: Does the minimum wage increase unemployment? - Fact Check - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Ie companies will always offset the costs of higher wages. Hikes have a real minimal effect on overall employment and job creation.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Fact check: Does the minimum wage increase unemployment? - Fact Check - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Ie companies will always offset the costs of higher wages. Hikes have a real minimal effect on overall employment and job creation.
The Fair Work Commission reviews the minimum wage every year. The national minimum wage is currently $16.87 per hour or $640.90, before tax, for a 38 hour week but is lower for some groups including young workers under 21.

As I've noted, they are not hirering the higher wage employee's but taking advantage of the lower rates for younger employee's.

That works fine in a good economy. The older workers can find better jobs. That is how it is supposed to work. It worked that way in North Dakota during the fracking/oil boom also. They had to pay very high entry level wages to get workers.

It's the economy, not the minimum wage that is the problem. It's a government that runs it's monetary policies to make sure Wall Street does well and screw everyone else.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
You are thinking wrong. It's never been more than about half that.

Minimum wage since 1938 - CNNMoney

You also didn't answer my question.

I support the right of gay couples to marry. I support the liberalization of drug laws. I am against our wasteful wars. I am upset that we have never charged a banker with a single crime for what they did. I am anti death penalty. I support universal health care.

What makes me "right wing"?
Ok that's using the BLS inflation standard. Most people talk about if the wages had kept pace with production not just inflation. In other words, the BLS has it too low — by half. If the standard for minimum wages had kept pace with overall income growth in the economy, it would now be closer to $20.00 per hour. Yes, had the US income distribution and US standards of decency remained exactly what it was in the late 1960s early 70s, the minimum wage would now be $20 per hour.

To your last point, the true test of being left or right is where you stand economically. Left wingers tend to be pro worker not pro corporate. Libertarians are pro all you mentioned but are rabidly anti union, anti worker, pro business.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:14 AM

27,131 posts, read 15,310,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
http://m.sfexaminer.com/sanfrancisco...nt?oid=2920328

If you want the government to increase your wage to $15 an hour you are admitting that your labor is not even worth $15 an hour.

Oops!

Old 05-22-2015, 12:15 AM

Quote:
It's the economy, not the minimum wage that is the problem. It's a government that runs it's monetary policies to make sure Wall Street does well and screw everyone else.
Well of course the problem is overall systemic. It's not like a wage hike will suddenly make everything all better.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Ok that's using the BLS inflation standard. Most people talk about if the wages had kept pace with production not just inflation. In other words, the BLS has it too low — by half. If the standard for minimum wages had kept pace with overall income growth in the economy, it would now be closer to $20.00 per hour. Yes, had the US income distribution and US standards of decency remained exactly what it was in the late 1960s early 70s, the minimum wage would now be $20 per hour.

To your last point, the true test of being left or right is where you stand economically. Left wingers tend to be pro worker not pro corporate
You were wrong to start with so don't expect me to just buy what you are selling here either.

Pro worker is to be against everything the government has done to the economy the last 10 years. I am addressing the illness, not one of the symptoms.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:26 AM

Quote:
You were wrong to start with so don't expect me to just buy what you are selling here either.

Pro worker is to be against everything the government has done to the economy the last 10 years. I am addressing the illness, not one of the symptoms.
I'm not selling anything. Let me help you understand. Adjusted for inflation it's at 10. Adjusted for the increased productivity it should be at 20

Elizabeth Warren: Minimum Wage Would Be $22 An Hour If It Had Kept Up With Productivity

Liz Warren explains it all.

The study she cites. http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/26806...usaolp00000003

Old 05-22-2015, 02:41 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,865 times
Quote:

That works fine in a good economy. The older workers can find better jobs. That is how it is supposed to work. It worked that way in North Dakota during the fracking/oil boom also. They had to pay very high entry level wages to get workers.
The North Dakota oil/boom is a great example of what will happen when wages go up. We should know... we work in that industry. Walk into mom-and-pop cafe' and you'll pay out the nose. Two cheeseburgers, two fries and two glasses of tea = $40+tip. Rent=3K per month (to park an RV!) All one has to do to find out exactly what this is going to do to LA is to ask the folks in North Dakota who lived there prior to the boom, who didn't work in the oil fields exactly what they think. The boom and the abundance of work was what caused the rise in wages and the subsequent rise in prices. L.A. isn't going to have that luxury. This isn't going to create an abundance of new jobs, so any progress as far as wages goes is going to be lost with the consequent increase in costs.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:12 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
Quote:

No, he's right, had wages kept up with productivity, our minimum wage would be at least $19/hr right now. Truth is, only our richest Americans have benefited in recent years from our extraordinarily productive US economy, a sad victory for GOP economic principles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies