Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 02:08 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Awesome. More money to be sent south.
The South is already loaded with McJobs. Their pitiful economies depend on them.

Old 05-23-2015, 02:10 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
The South is already loaded with McJobs. Their pitiful economies depend on them.
South of the border...to their families.

Old 05-23-2015, 02:13 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
South of the border...to their families.
So.... you want their standard of living so we can compete with them?

Old 05-23-2015, 03:33 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You said that I claimed only fast food places would be affected, and that is not what I said. Why do cars cost 10x more than in 1970 - lots of reasons, but I don't think increases in the minimum wage had much to do with it
I never said you "claimed" anything.
You said "fast food and minimum wage paying retailers".

I pointed out that fast food is not the only industry that will be affected, and I was talking about all industries including manufacturing and service industries .....not just retail and fast food.

You sure do like to get caught up in the minutia of irrelevant details.
You did the same thing when replying to me in another thread.

Anyway.....

It's not just minimum wage jobs that will be affected, everyone who now makes between the current minimum and 15/hr will demand a raise because now they make minimum again after working their way up from minimum
And everyone who currently makes 15.00 or a bit over will demand raises too.

Not everyone will get it though.

But one group that sure as Hell will get raises if the national minimum wage goes up is union workers whose wages are contractually tied to hikes in minimum wage......yes, the same union workers who build cars that you say the prices of have nothing to do with hikes in minimum wage.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:05 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Not to levels imagined by right-wingers. Horror stories about $10 burgers and $5 fries are nothing more than fear-mongering drivel.
I routinely see $10 burgers today.

Well over $10 with tax and tip.

http://www.menu-prices.net/bob-evans/

Old 05-23-2015, 09:59 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

Bob Evans Menu Prices - Menu-Prices.net
Bob Evans Salaries | Glassdoor It is not like they are paying their employees more then most restaurants. Here are some articles that show why increasing wages will not be as bad as some people think.

Raising The Minimum Wage Would Be Good For Wal-Mart, And America
Walmart could pay workers $14.89 an hour without raising prices
Raising The Minimum Wage Would Be Good For Wal-Mart, And America

Old 05-24-2015, 01:54 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,922 times
Quote:
Not to levels imagined by right-wingers. Horror stories about $10 burgers and $5 fries are nothing more than fear-mongering drivel.
even crappy fast food burgers are expensive now

Old 05-24-2015, 02:49 AM

7,542 posts, read 11,574,791 times
Quote:
I see that right-wingers are 100% in agreement that raising the minimum wage will be a disaster...

How much more proof do you need that it's a great idea? When was the last time they were right about anything?
Even if min wage was raised $1 they keep saying the economy will blow and trickle down economics is the best thing ever 2 biggest lies told by republicans

Old 05-24-2015, 03:35 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Even if min wage was raised $1 they keep saying the economy will blow and trickle down economics is the best thing ever 2 biggest lies told by republicans
Just because you don't say it doesn't mean you don't practice it. Yours is an excellent example of the real problem. Under Obama we have had the biggest trickle down failure in the history of the country. This has happened because of Obama, not the Republicans, but yet, that's who you blame.

Yes, they would have done the same thing but the problem is bipartisan but for some reason the complaints aren't.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:51 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

Bob Evans Menu Prices - Menu-Prices.net
Those burgers are gigantic and clearly a cut above the usual fast food fare + they come with fries and/or cole slaw. $10 for a full meal is totally reasonable:

Bob Evans - Menu - Big Farm Burgers

Quote:
Just because you don't say it doesn't mean you don't practice it. Yours is an excellent example of the real problem. Under Obama we have had the biggest trickle down failure in the history of the country. This has happened because of Obama, not the Republicans, but yet, that's who you blame.
Explain that one. What trickle-down policies has Obama endorsed? All I see is a president urging Congress to close some of our more egregious corporate loopholes and Congress collectively scoffing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies