Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 08:13 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,293,305 times

Advertisements

L

Last edited by Bureaucat; 05-21-2015 at 08:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 08:17 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I put in my military time 45 years ago.

You?
Me 47 years ago.

Combat medic

1/18th First Infantry Division

Old 05-21-2015, 09:17 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
A good question, not many would answer. They may say they would, but run when the time comes.

Have they trained us to be so passive, we let them now oppress the people how ever they wish, without being held accountable.

How many have died on US soil, defending their liberty, against oppressive government?
And I'm not even talking the fight for independence or the civil war.
Would I? The honest answer is I don't know.

I guess it also depends on who's the enemy of freedom (cheesy way of putting it). ISIS? No. ISIS is not the biggest threat to liberty. They didn't pass the PATRIOT Act after all.

But I might if the government used military force on it's people. But again, I don't know. Frankly, I'm untrained in any form of combat so I'm hardly the best person to actually be out fighting. I'd be better elsewhere in such a cause.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:20 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,442,089 times
Quote:
I'll do what a liberal would do: risking your life to fight for my causes.
This is exactly what its about. A bunch of old men in high places sending willing doops off to die in exotic places. It doesn't matter if it's liberal or conservative, dumocrat or repugnican.

A 100 years ago forced conscription was used widely in Europe. In WWI something like 20 million died, not one president, king or Tsar died in those trenches.

They had masses of men (mostly forced) to die for them.

Why do old men like me get to send young men who in most cases have yet to really achieve their potential out to die?

Because common people allow it. Enable it.

Because people are generally stupid in a herd and the people who go willingly are the dumbest of the lot.

4000 willing doops died in Iraq. Who from the Bush, Cheney or Rumsfeld families died there?

None that I know of.

It's pretty evident to me just what's going on here.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:24 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
A good question, not many would answer. They may say they would, but run when the time comes.

Have they trained us to be so passive, we let them now oppress the people how ever they wish, without being held accountable.

How many have died on US soil, defending their liberty, against oppressive government?

I did, only I did it on foreign soil. And I would do it again on US soil, if necessary.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:20 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Thumbs up Well done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Me 47 years ago.

Combat medic

1/18th First Infantry Division

Old 05-21-2015, 10:27 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
No need to answer your question as it's irrelevant.

If we the people don't take up our own responsibility, how would we hold our politicians accountable?
I'd say it's completely relevant.

You claim it's the people responsible for invading Iraq because they elected the politicians who did so.

I say WHEN did those politicians EVER poll the people about what they wanted? I'd bet dollars to donuts the people at the time wanted to attack those who attacked us on 9/11, NOT Iraq.

Judging by your willingness to give politicians a pass perhaps you're one yourself?

BTW, since you're so willing to blame the people.....................................

1) The people DID NOT elect George W Bush, the Electoral College and SCOTUS did

2) GWB said he didn't believe in using the military for nation building and proceeded to do just that, anyone who did vote for him did so based on false pretenses.

Last edited by burdell; 05-21-2015 at 11:10 AM..

Old 05-21-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
The Iraq Resolution was far from a declaration of war. Matter of fact, it urged the president to exhaust all means prior to taking any belligerent action. Of course, Bush didn't do that. He took it as a blank check. We all know how well it played out from that point.

Just for the sake of accuracy, nearly ALL Republicans in both the house and senate voted for the war. Less than half of the Democrats did. Regardless, it wasn't any senator or congressman who ordered our forces into Iraq.

House Vote:

Pub: 215 yay 6 nay

Dem: 82 yay 126 nay

Senate Vote:

Pub: 48 yay 1 nay

Dem: 29 yay 21 nay

Summary:

Pub: 263 for, 7 against

Dem: 111 for, 147 against

Just FYI.

But it's amusing all these years later to read the thoughts of the Dubya apologists turning themselves inside out in a vain attempt to shift eh blame.

Carry on

Yep, they haul out the lame...buh buh dems VOTED for it meme every time. Forgetting the lies that were perpetrated to get that Yea vote.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
There is a lot of people in this country not worth fighting for:

» Thug Tells Whites: Bow Down to Blacks, You’re All Gonna Die Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

In fact, it's fairly obviously we will be fighting each other in the streets eventually.

Ah, good old Alex Jones...the very definition of sanity in an insane world. (I hope you caught the sarcasm.)

Old 05-21-2015, 11:09 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
I wouldn't defend the status quo in this country. No way I'd shed my own blood to help the 1% maintain their stranglehold on power and wealth in this country. I wouldn't participate in an uprising either. I'd just stand on the sidelines with a bowl of popcorn.

The last war worth fighting that the US fought was WWII IMHO. That's not to denigrate those who've served since...I just feel that they were misled and misused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies