Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 10:42 AM

76 posts, read 88,144 times

Advertisements

I'm a registered Democrat for over 25 years but I try to look at the GOP objectively as I can.

However, I'm really puzzled at how they keep dredging up these total buffoons to represent their party in Presidential elections! I won't even get started about Dubya, who had the speaking skills of an 8th grader who rode the short yellow bus if you get my drift. GW Bush should be in front of a firing squad for all the lies about WMD's. Sarah Palin is like the punchline of a really bad junior high joke.

Just take this guy Dr. Ben Carson. A Yale graduate and youngest black chief neurosurgeon in the history of the United States, and yet he honestly believes homosexuality is a "choice" and that evolution is fake? They should revoke his medical license for even saying such drivel. Who would see a doctor with a brain as confused and ignorant as this man's?

And what about Jeb Bush --- the ultimate flip-floppity waffling liar? One day he says he would invade Iraq all over again, and the next day he says he wouldn't do it. Can anyone trust this dude with even the simplest questions?

Chris Christie ran up over $83,000 in NJ taxpayer dollars on snacks and booze at NFL games? Swear to God, that's something you'd hear from a stand up comedian, but it's actually true! Oh my, that is sooo pathetic and sad.

Can't wait to see Ol' Bible-Thumper Rick Santorum ramp up his schtick again. This weirdo wants to immediately launch Crusades in every Middle Eastern country and strap gay men to Tomahawk missiles in order to bomb Tehran and Pyongyang back to the Stone Age. What a lovely tolerant Christian, eh?

Hillary is laughing at how easy it will be to take the White House in 2016. Bill is already making the talk show rounds and it's looking like a victory tour, folks.

Last edited by Grand-Pooba-9; 05-20-2015 at 10:55 AM..

Old 05-20-2015, 12:32 PM

2,626 posts, read 3,422,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand-Pooba-9 View Post
I'm a registered Democrat for over 25 years but I try to look at the GOP objectively as I can.

However, I'm really puzzled at how they keep dredging up these total buffoons to represent their party in Presidential elections! I won't even get started about Dubya, who had the speaking skills of an 8th grader who rode the short yellow bus if you get my drift. GW Bush should be in front of a firing squad for all the lies about WMD's. Sarah Palin is like the punchline of a really bad junior high joke.

Just take this guy Dr. Ben Carson. A Yale graduate and youngest black chief neurosurgeon in the history of the United States, and yet he honestly believes homosexuality is a "choice" and that evolution is fake? They should revoke his medical license for even saying such drivel. Who would see a doctor with a brain as confused and ignorant as this man's?

And what about Jeb Bush --- the ultimate flip-floppity waffling liar? One day he says he would invade Iraq all over again, and the next day he says he wouldn't do it. Can anyone trust this dude with even the simplest questions?

Chris Christie ran up over $83,000 in NJ taxpayer dollars on snacks and booze at NFL games? Swear to God, that's something you'd hear from a stand up comedian, but it's actually true! Oh my, that is sooo pathetic and sad.

Can't wait to see Ol' Bible-Thumper Rick Santorum ramp up his schtick again. This weirdo wants to immediately launch Crusades in every Middle Eastern country and strap gay men to Tomahawk missiles in order to bomb Tehran and Pyongyang back to the Stone Age. What a lovely tolerant Christian, eh?

Hillary is laughing at how easy it will be to take the White House in 2016. Bill is already making the talk show rounds and it's looking like a victory tour, folks.
Don't be so sure about that (i.e., your last paragraph that was boldfaced above).You'd be surprised at what the national population, as a whole, can vote for. Look at how the Republicans virtually control both houses on the federal level and hold many governorships, state senatorships, mayoraltys, et al. So all the people that voted THEM into office and keep them in office election-after-election-after-election are then going to automatically put aside their leanings and allegiances and elect Hilary Clinton? In my mind, it's a toss-up (it can go either way).

Last edited by UsAll; 05-20-2015 at 01:18 PM..

Old 05-20-2015, 12:34 PM

30,554 posts, read 19,295,080 times
The Repubs are 1 good presidential candidate (Rubio) from controlling all levers of US governmental power as they already control the US House, Senate, most state Governors and most state legislatures.

As to your rant, the Repubs have had some weak Presidential candidates the last few elections cycles but if they pick a strong one this time, game, set, match....Dems will be relegated to posting crap but have no actual power.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:52 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,436,699 times
The Republican Party excessively panders to the bigots, homophobes, creationists, misogynists, war-mongers, and climate deniers within their party. When you do that, you get people like Cruz, Bachmann, and Palin popping out of the clown car. The GOP is a joke.

The more rational conservatives, amazingly enough, get the RINO tag. Reagan would be RINO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The Repubs are 1 good presidential candidate (Rubio) from controlling all levers of US governmental power as they already control the US House, Senate, most state Governors and most state legislatures.

As to your rant, the Repubs have had some weak Presidential candidates the last few elections cycles but if they pick a strong one this time, game, set, match....Dems will be relegated to posting crap but have no actual power.
Nice spin, but the Democrats will win the presidency and retake the Senate in 2016 (the GOP has to defend 24 seats to 10 for the Democrats).

Far more people vote during presidential elections, and that's where you get the full scope of the GOP's decline.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:53 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,667,786 times
Quote:
Really?

LOL.

"Go team go!!! Hurrayyyyy my team!!"

You win the spirit stick.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:57 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,185,949 times
I agree that Rubio looks about the best right now, and he's too young. Reps have a chance though; Hillary is the Democrat even Democrats don't like much.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:57 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,340,769 times
I've voted Democrat in every presidential election since I could vote, skipping only one election (2004).

Given 2016's slate of candidates so far, I think I'll stay home.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:17 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,667,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I've voted Democrat in every presidential election since I could vote, skipping only one election (2004).

Given 2016's slate of candidates so far, I think I'll stay home.
Being a conservative, I'm in the same boat.

Each election cycle, I've been skipping more and more races or writing in more and more names.

In terms of state elections, I have shifted to essentially a one issue voter - property tax reform; therefore, I see myself voting for very few on-ballot candidates in future elections.

I used to look forward to the prepaid GOP mailers that would arrive. I'd insert a piece of paper explaining why I wouldn't give them a dime and how they keep failing us. I stopped receiving them, and that makes me a little sad.

It seems most elections will be decided by the partisans and the clueless going forward.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:19 PM

30,554 posts, read 19,295,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
The Republican Party excessively panders to the bigots, homophobes, creationists, misogynists, war-mongers, and climate deniers within their party. When you do that, you get people like Cruz, Bachmann, and Palin popping out of the clown car. The GOP is a joke.

The more rational conservatives, amazingly enough, get the RINO tag. Reagan would be RINO.

Nice spin, but the Democrats will win the presidency and retake the Senate in 2016 (the GOP has to defend 24 seats to 10 for the Democrats).

Far more people vote during presidential elections, and that's where you get the full scope of the GOP's decline.
Maybe you are correct but maybe the high turnout was due to Obama the last 2 election cycles and Hillary or whoever the Dems nominate won't be able to generate that turnout.

If the Repubs have an exciting charismatic candidate such as Rubio, they might get a high turnout and crush all Dem hopes. Put it like this, I think the Repubs chances of winning the Presidency are much better than the Dems winning about 500 elections (House, Senate, State Governorships & Legislatures) against seated Republicans to take back the full reigns of power. Believe me Republicans do not fear Hillary or any other Dem candidate that has surfaced.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:20 PM

16,685 posts, read 8,677,212 times
Quote:
Well your a newbie, and hopefully not a troll or additional ID for someone else.

You say that you try to look at the GOP objectively, but then start a thread calling them names and impugning them.
Presumably all the while ignoring how unethical & hypocritical the current (D) frontrunner is.
Still I will try to give you the benefit of the doubt and take you at your word. Lets find out;

In the last 25 years, how many times have you voted (R) in a presidential election?
How many time have you voted (R) for Congress (House & Senate)?

I ask because on a cruise one day the couple we were sitting with brought up politics (last thing I wanted to discuss while on vacation). However after listening to them go on about how moderate they thought they were (even though it was obvious to me they were hard core leftists) I asked them the same question. They proceeded to say they had always voted (D) going back to the days of McGovern.
They had also never voted for an (R) for senator, nor as a Congressman.
I couldn't help but point out how their self image politically was delusional, as no one could vote that consistently for one party and still be fair and open-minded.
I pointed out how I leaned right, but had voted for (D's) over the years, especially the ones who were either moderate to conservative(dying breed), or if they were more qualified for the job. I also pointed out how I had voted for the (D) one time because the incumbent (R) was a kook.

The moral of the story is that many like to think of themselves as far minded willing to give the other party a fair shake.
However if they were to be honest with themselves, they'd likely want one of those old style booths (I think they still have in some of the northeaster states/cities) and pull one lever for everyone of their party from POTUS to dog catcher.
This without regard to whom would be a better candidate or was more qualified. Another words voting party over country.
Yet they delude themselves into thinking they are fair-minded.

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies