Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2015, 09:41 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
..and here's just one small example.
I'm glad when someone such as yourself understands what I meant.
So many things are happening under our noses that bear no resemblance to
the "news" that is being reported in the mainstream media.
It has been true for decades, and is not going to change.
All the nefarious changes of the last 100 years happened under
the noses of Americans.
JFK warned us.
yes he did, and funny how Americans ignore this which to me, is a disservice to all our lives lost who fought to keep us free....
if you mention this to them, they accuse you of wearing a tin foil hat, why is it so hard for Americans to believe this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 11:34 AM

16,587 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I know that most countries in the western hemisphere have a similar history as far as the removal of their native peoples(and slavery) but my issue has always been with those Americans who want to romanticize about the U.S having some righteous founding.
We do, whether you like it or not.

Unlike Michelle Obama and presumably her husband, I have always been proud of our country. Sure we have made some major mistakes and had some growing pains along the way. Yet we in the big scheme of things are done far more good than bad, and are capable of more great things in the future.

Name another major country/nation that vested the power of free people to govern themselves as our Constitutional Republic does, rather than be subjugated by an unelected ruling class?

Old 05-24-2015, 12:55 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,342 times
One can only learn from mistakes and I believe we learned from our mistake with the Native Americans. This is even true of religion - if you look back into the Old and New Testament there are some cruel punishments or ways of worshipping which as we evolved as people were put aside and forgotten. I believe the USA has learned from their mistake and for that, yes I am proud.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:11 PM

260 posts, read 218,340 times
Quote:
I know that most countries in the western hemisphere have a similar history as far as the removal of their native peoples(and slavery) but my issue has always been with those Americans who want to romanticize about the U.S having some righteous founding.
The "natives"committed their own holocausts well before,and after whites came to the US and New World.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:19 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,363,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

Name another major country/nation that vested the power of free people to govern themselves as our Constitutional Republic does, rather than be subjugated by an unelected ruling class?
I have no problem with the political setup or framework that was established in the U.S or the capitalist/mixed economic system that the U.S has which has led to our economic progress. My issue is with those Americans who want to engage in revisionism when it comes to how this country came about during it's history. I don't care for people romanticizing about America being founded by "freedom loving righteous people" when much of the land that became the modern United States was gotten through crooked means.

The Nation - Mending a Trail of Broken Treaties - NYTimes.com

Old 05-24-2015, 01:30 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,846,702 times
Quote:
I have no problem with the political setup or framework that was established in the U.S or the capitalist/mixed economic system that the U.S has which has led to our economic progress. My issue is with those Americans who want to engage in revisionism when it comes to how this country came about during it's history. I don't care for people romanticizing about America being founded by "freedom loving righteous people" when much of the land that became the modern United States was gotten through crooked means.

The Nation - Mending a Trail of Broken Treaties - NYTimes.com
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Amen!

Old 05-24-2015, 01:36 PM

260 posts, read 218,340 times
I'm not proud of FDR putting American citizens of Japanese ancestry in concentration camps.
I'm not proud of FDR selling out the people of eastern Europe at Yalta.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:37 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,951,646 times
Let's see...proud of U.S. History, when it:

- Enslaved the Black people for over 300 years
- Exempted and denied Black people all the freedoms, rights and privileges which the founding fathers and the white race benefited.
- Denied the Blacks and their children the right to read, write and attend school and universities
- Allowed local, and state government policeto shoot, hose-down and allow vicious dogs attack Blacks for marching for the right to vote and express their desire to take part in this great democracy.
- Allowed Jim Crow laws to exists in states to supress Black people
- Denied black men the right to hold decent jobs, serve in the Armed Forces and feed their families
- And the list goes on...

Are Black people supposed to be proud of this?

Last edited by dorado0359; 05-24-2015 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: ...

Old 05-24-2015, 01:46 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i am proud of where this country started, and where it is now. and there are many things this country has done since its inception to be proud of. there are however things that we should not be proud of. we should however know our history, good or bad, and accept it all as part of the growing pains of this country. every country goes through them, as well as every civilization. it is what it is.
That's a very good post on the issue and sums it up nicely.

We Native Americans have forgiven the transgressions of the Euros against our peoples, in the making of America. We enlist in the military at 4 times the rate of whites and are considered very patriotic by all.

Never forget that No one sacrificed more, to make America what it is today than the American Indian and the Black man. You took all our land, our women and did your best to exterminate us as national policy under A. Jackson. You took the freedom away from the black man and used his labor to shape the industrial future of the nation and then freed him with nothing.
Without us, you would have no nation.

What we will not forgive is the efforts of white society to rewrite history, so that it reflects a white fantasy of the glorious, benevolent actions of the white race towards Blacks and NDNs to shape this nation and the denial of the sacrifices of the other races to make it so.
Until the white man learns to respect the Native American and the Black man for what they have given you to shape this nation, there will always be mutual disrespect in return.

I have just been released from the hospital Saturday, after a long, painful surgical procedure on my vascular system. I'm spending most my time highly drugged and in bed. If you intend to pick a fight with me over my above response to this thread, you're out of luck, as I won't be back on board for at least another week, when I'm better. Besides, I'm not really up for the predictable hate, bigotry and evil I know will be forthcoming.
I just had to dial in with my thoughts on this one thread.

Peace,

Mohawk

Last edited by mohawkx; 05-24-2015 at 02:28 PM..

Old 05-24-2015, 03:30 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
im not proud of united states history, but what choice do i have, they going do what they want any way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies