Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 09:16 AM

493 posts, read 385,706 times

Advertisements

While I'm totally against any type of theocracy and especially Islamic Sharia; what if America and the western world actually adopted the Islamic "Sharia Law" without the actual penal and dress code?

For example, basic food, clothing and shelter, including water, house, medicine, etc. would all be free of charge based on the need of the individual, banks wouldn't be allowed to charge any interest rate, etc.

Thoughts?

Last edited by MX City visiting; 05-21-2015 at 09:35 AM..

Old 05-21-2015, 09:18 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX City visiting View Post
While I'm totally against any type of theocracy and especially Islamic Sharia; what if America and the western world actually adopted the Islamic "Sharia Law" without the actual penal and dress code?

For example, basic food, clothing and shelter, including water, house, etc. would all be free of charge based on the need of the individual, banks wouldn't be allowed to charge any interest rate, etc.

Thoughts?

I suggest you google Islamic Banking and you might understand that there is always a price for money.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:22 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,093,577 times
The problem here is that Islamic law isn't actually universal, despite what many think. Just as Christians can't agree on certain thinks (was Jesus man or God, for example), Muslims are the same way. That should be readily apparent given the extreme amount of violence, which they love to point out when they're point requires it, but if not, their argument comes down to 'all Muslims think the same.'

So, those aspects of Islamic law that require charity? That wouldn't be bad, in the sense that it wouldn't be harmful (a bit authoritarian, but when we're talking about a religious law of any kind, that's what it's gonna be). You seem to be coming from the 5 pillars of Islam, which are the nice part of Islam.

But, what's the source? Are we saying it's the Koran? Because if so, that law can be twisted. We could start out with the nice charity, but before long, be executing apostates like Saudi Arabia.

Charity is great, and I encourage people to give generously and be kind and thoughtful to those with less, but adopting a religious law to get to that point is a dangerous gamble.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:24 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Default What if we adopted only the social system of Islamic law?

Oh, yeah?

I've got a better one!

What if we adopted the zombie social system?

I bet they could make a dumb TV series out of that one!

Old 05-21-2015, 09:28 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
and so a lib actually points out the nexus between the American left and islam. The real reason libs the world over wont take islam to task.

Sharia actually does provide the following:
Housing
Food
medical care including vision and dental
clothing

all free to everyone. No one is expected to work at all

individuals who desire to can work to "enrich" themselves...

that's islam. that's what the progressives want.

and that is why they don't mind anti-women/gay hating muslims and claim they are almost all "moderate"

Old 05-21-2015, 02:05 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,129,553 times
The ban on interest rates (in both Islam and Christianity) show the ideal to which both religions aspired to and their attempts to get rid of debt issues that they saw in their times, but were clearly very bad ideas economically. Spain banned usury (interest) and that was a large part of what caused their stagnation as an empire. Jesus had a lot of rather bad economical advice all throughout the New Testament. It sounds good in a story, but is horrible in practice.

Supposedly in Russian history, one of the great leaders (Vladimir I think) adopted Christianity and was so transformed that he outlawed any form of retaliation. People were supposed to turn the other cheek as Jesus commanded. The country was soon overrun with bandits and outlaws.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:00 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
The ban on interest rates (in both Islam and Christianity) show the ideal to which both religions aspired to and their attempts to get rid of debt issues that they saw in their times, but were clearly very bad ideas economically. Spain banned usury (interest) and that was a large part of what caused their stagnation as an empire. Jesus had a lot of rather bad economical advice all throughout the New Testament. It sounds good in a story, but is horrible in practice.

Supposedly in Russian history, one of the great leaders (Vladimir I think) adopted Christianity and was so transformed that he outlawed any form of retaliation. People were supposed to turn the other cheek as Jesus commanded. The country was soon overrun with bandits and outlaws.
This is interesting to me. This is one of my many proofs (for lack of better term) of my atheism. I think most economists would agree that usury laws are a bad idea. It is a form of price control, and price controls are generally considered harmful.

And interestingly also, it is one of those ideas that shows up both in religion and in liberalism. Regulating payday lenders has become a hobby horse issue for liberal Democrats in my state. It seems that every year now there is a fight over it in the legislature.

Bill to change payday lending rules wins approval, 30-18, in the state Senate | The Seattle Times

Old 05-21-2015, 10:43 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,129,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
This is interesting to me. This is one of my many proofs (for lack of better term) of my atheism. I think most economists would agree that usury laws are a bad idea. It is a form of price control, and price controls are generally considered harmful.

And interestingly also, it is one of those ideas that shows up both in religion and in liberalism. Regulating payday lenders has become a hobby horse issue for liberal Democrats in my state. It seems that every year now there is a fight over it in the legislature.

Bill to change payday lending rules wins approval, 30-18, in the state Senate | The Seattle Times
I don't know about price controls necessarily... it just erodes the principle of the time value of money, which leads to only those who have accumulated capital to be the ones who are able to invest in capital.

If interest didn't make economic sense, we wouldn't care if we had our money today or in a million years.

That being said, modern 'usury' laws... I don't know. You'd think people would be smart enough to not accept >25% annual interest rates but apparently people do. I don't think those have too much of an impact as I'd hope most of the transactions happen at much lower rates. I do think some of the information laws, like showing the full amount of the loan and things like that are a good idea though.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:46 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,770,484 times
Why would we want to adopt the culture of terrorists?

Old 05-22-2015, 12:39 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX City visiting View Post

For example, basic food, clothing and shelter, including water, house, medicine, etc. would all be free of charge based on the need of the individual, banks wouldn't be allowed to charge any interest rate, etc.

Thoughts?
No way in Hell would I ever give up bacon.

[you can keep your 72 virgins]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies