Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 01:00 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times

Advertisements

Robert Gates: Boy Scouts' ban on gay adult leaders not sustainable

As an Eagle Scout, a step in the right direction IMO. I know a few Eagle scouts who are also gay who essentially cannot volunteer and participate. They put in the blood (literally, at times), sweat, tears and work to become Eagle, they should not be cast out simply because of their sexual orientation after they turn 18.

I do wish liberals would stop politicizing scouts, but still, a step in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 03:26 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Since when are liberals politicizing scouts?

I was a Cub Scout leader and lost my whole pack over this stupid issue, because they kicked a gay Mom out somewhere back east. Apparently she was a terrific leader, and the families in my pack (mostly single moms) were disgusted and left. Our Council could not have cared less, but it was a national-televised debacle. Imagine having to tell your 8 year old son about this issue because all his peers could not longer attend. It really pissed me off.

I think the Scouts have made great strides in keeping young boys (and girls) safe from pedophilic cretins. We could never spend ANY time along with a kid not our own, unless another adult was present. This was part of the child safety training. The sexual orientation of adults is no concern of mine. I met some wonderful parents and kids in scouting, and I can say that I never met any of them that wanted anything for the kids more than a nice, structured way to learn things and develop character, knowledge, skills, and self-discipline

And if an Eagle Scout learns he is gay, it does nothing to take away from his achievements.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:54 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
This will be the death stroke for Scouting. Would you allow your son to go camping with a gay man? Scout leaders are supposed to be mentors and role models for growing boys. Why didn't gays simply start a parallel organization if they didn't like Scouting as it was? They would be free to indulge in any behavior they choose rather than destroy what had been a hallmark of American culture and a good, safe environment for young boys.

Meanwhile, Girl Scouts have their own freak show going on as discussed in another thread.

This country is circling the drain.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:41 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
I don't get the whole liberal part, but good for the Boy Scouts to join the rest of the real world on this issue.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:01 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
This will be the death stroke for Scouting.
Yup. Another feather in the hat of the LGBT activists.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:19 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
This will be the death stroke for Scouting. Would you allow your son to go camping with a gay man? Scout leaders are supposed to be mentors and role models for growing boys. Why didn't gays simply start a parallel organization if they didn't like Scouting as it was? They would be free to indulge in any behavior they choose rather than destroy what had been a hallmark of American culture and a good, safe environment for young boys.

Meanwhile, Girl Scouts have their own freak show going on as discussed in another thread.

This country is circling the drain.
So all those gay men who worked their butts off to make Eagle Scout should just go find a parallel organization?

Old 05-21-2015, 05:25 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
No gays. A parent has to be reassured that when they send Johnny out the door it is not into the clutches of a pedophile.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:29 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
No gays. A parent has to be reassured that when they send Johnny out the door it is not into the clutches of a pedophile.
What does being gay have to do with it? A straight person can be a pedophile too. Just because a man might prefer other men doesn't mean they are also attracted to boys.

Heck, by your logic, that would mean all straight people were also pedophiles as long as the child is an opposite sex.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:32 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Gay does not mean pedophile.

Several of the molesters from the scouts were married men. So, banning gays would not have prevented them from being involved in scouting. You know what will? The rules that adults are supposed to follow. No adult is to be alone with any child except their own child.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:43 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Gay does not mean pedophile.

Several of the molesters from the scouts were married men. So, banning gays would not have prevented them from being involved in scouting. You know what will? The rules that adults are supposed to follow. No adult is to be alone with any child except their own child.
Tell it to the Catholic church. Gays are attracted to the priesthood and, from there, turn their interests toward young males in the congregation. Perversion, once embraced, is easily expanded upon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies