Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2015, 05:58 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,408,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin5 View Post
I didn't find it odd that they kept looking at each other I usually look at someone when they're speaking and I see others doing this on tv when several are being interviewed.

I think their point is that this was not a traumatic event for them, that doesn't mean it wasn't serious, but it has not had a huge impact on their life like it has for others who were molested in a different way. They love and forgive their brother and as they said the publicity and sensationalism has been much harder.

Why can't anyone believe this is how they feel?
You are spot on the money with your observations. They were uncomfortable because they were speaking publicly on a subject that, to them, is ancient history and has been blown out of proportion and turned into a media circus that has placed all of them in a bad ight. Who can blame them for looking to each other for support?

I, too, cannot understand why people cannot just take them at their word that this was not a life destroying event, that they dealt with it both personally and as a family, they hold no ill will toward their brother and they have moved well beyond it. They love each other, they love their brother, they love their parents. Regardless that their naysayers think of the Duggars as pathologically dysfunctional, THEY don't see themselves that way. And in the long run that's all that counts.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:31 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,914,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
Wow. You all have the i hate the fundie bug.
When islam is killing gays, mutilating young girls etc etc etc you reserve this venom for these people? Show me where any one of you has critized real evil as ive mentioned. Ill pay $10 for any post any of you have made criticizing non Christian fundamentalist oppression.
Thats $10 per post.
I was unaware any of that was relevant on this particular thread.

You're good at deflecting.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:22 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,426,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
You are spot on the money with your observations. They were uncomfortable because they were speaking publicly on a subject that, to them, is ancient history and has been blown out of proportion and turned into a media circus that has placed all of them in a bad ight. Who can blame them for looking to each other for support?

I, too, cannot understand why people cannot just take them at their word that this was not a life destroying event, that they dealt with it both personally and as a family, they hold no ill will toward their brother and they have moved well beyond it. They love each other, they love their brother, they love their parents. Regardless that their naysayers think of the Duggars as pathologically dysfunctional, THEY don't see themselves that way. And in the long run that's all that counts.
Well, I agree - that is all that counts. Hopefully they can get on with their lives without cameras in their house 24/7 because those are gone and I do not see them returning soon.

Me personally - I could never raise my daughters with such a limited life and I cannot agree with those that do. Limited schooling; limited vocabulary, limited options other than as mates and breeders.

Without cameras on them 24/7 - I really hope that that two oldest girls, unable to leave home until they are marred - get OUT.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:39 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,308,617 times
I can't wait until this entire family just completely falls apart before our eyes. It's going to happen.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:48 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,408,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
I can't wait until this entire family just completely falls apart before our eyes. It's going to happen.
Another schadenfreuder.

Is there no end to those who take pleasure in the misfortune of others?

Old 06-07-2015, 10:47 AM

23,917 posts, read 32,243,846 times
Quote:
When islam is killing gays, mutilating young girls etc etc etc you reserve this venom for these people? Show me where any one of you has critized real evil as ive mentioned. Ill pay $10 for any post any of you have made criticizing non Christian fundamentalist oppression.
Thats $10 per post.

Yes I do "hate the fundie thing" - including Islamic fundamentalists. These people are like the Christian version of the Taliban or Isis. And I am not a fan of either.

Where is my $10?

What people like you want is a "Christian exclusion" - we don't like fundamentalists of any religion - but Christians get a pass.

Well they do not in my book. I also hold my own people - those who say that they follow Christ - to a particularly high standard.

Nothing about these people speaks of "loving thy neighbor as thyself". Or ""let he who is without sin cast the first stone" (That would be when Jesus stopped the public execution of a woman) Jim Bob wants to execute everyone who he finds repulsive - including those who practice incest and sexual molestation. Yes, they are reprehensible - JB's own son is one - however is Jim Bob without sin? Is he perfect? Is he God?

No.

These people make a show of all of the things the DON'T DO. Christianity is not a religion of don'ts. It Is a religion of "dos".

Where is the loving kindness? I don't see it.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:51 AM

46,857 posts, read 25,803,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
Another schadenfreuder.

Is there no end to those who take pleasure in the misfortune of others?
The Quiverful movement and Bill Gothard's weird programs is some scary, cult-like stuff. If daylight is the best disinfectant, well - Duggar senior sought out the media attention, now he got it.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:02 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,628,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Well, I agree - that is all that counts. Hopefully they can get on with their lives without cameras in their house 24/7 because those are gone and I do not see them returning soon.

Me personally - I could never raise my daughters with such a limited life and I cannot agree with those that do. Limited schooling; limited vocabulary, limited options other than as mates and breeders.

Without cameras on them 24/7 - I really hope that that two oldest girls, unable to leave home until they are marred - get OUT.
There were never cameras 24/7. Filming happened about 3x per week for a few hours at a time, one of those days being mostly interviews.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:03 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,628,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
What a noble thing to wish for. You must hate your own life alot.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:07 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,754,935 times
Quote:
Thats $10 per post.
Here's one I made taking to task Muslim cab drivers in Minneapolis who refused to transport those transporting alcohol or with dogs - including service dogs.
//www.city-data.com/forum/39046926-post319.html

And here's one where I took issue with a Muslim who was soft-peddling stonings in the Middle East because they supposedly aren't authorized by an 'Islamic Court'.
//www.city-data.com/forum/36246522-post16.html

And here's another where I pointed out to a poster that Islamic radicalism (my phrase) was more of a threat to the United States than Putin's adventures in Crimea.
//www.city-data.com/forum/elect...l#post34797394

In this post I discuss the idiocy of creation, where in passing I note that it is not merely a feature of Christian wingnuts but wingnut segments of all the Abrahamic religions - Christianity, as well as Judaism and Islam.
//www.city-data.com/forum/33357130-post36.html

Here I point out how discriminatory Saudi law is to Christians.
//www.city-data.com/forum/32340104-post103.html

I could go on, but I'll stop there.

Now that I've demolished your laughable assertion, where's my $50?

Meanwhile, back to your silly "Since some Muslims kill gays, it's not all right to condemn those Christians who do anything less!" nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies