Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 11:08 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,436,448 times

Advertisements

One third of American 8th graders think Canada is a dictatorship.

The full NAEP report (questions/answers) can be found here:
NAEP - 2014 U.S. History, Geography, and Civics Assessments

One-third of American 8th graders think Canada is a dictatorship - Trending - CBC News

What do the current governments of Canada, France, and Australia have in common?" reads the multiple choice question.

Of the four potential answers, "They have leaders with absolute power" was selected by 23 per cent of respondents.

Another 10 per cent of students said that "They are controlled by the military," while 12 per cent chose "They discourage participation by citizens in public affairs."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 11:11 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,436,448 times
This one is scarier:

Which of the following is a belief shared by most people of the United States?

A. The country should have a single political party. (11%)
B. The country should have an official religion. (6%)
C. The government should be a democracy. (32%)
D. The government should guarantee everybody a job. (51%)

Old 05-22-2015, 11:12 AM

493 posts, read 384,844 times
I wouldn't be shocked and surprised if most American adults would think the same because they are isolated and not aware of anything outside of this country, or sometimes even on their own state. Embarrassing...

Old 05-22-2015, 11:13 AM

47 posts, read 62,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
One third of American 8th graders think Canada is a dictatorship.

The full NAEP report (questions/answers) can be found here:

One-third of American 8th graders think Canada is a dictatorship - Trending - CBC News

What do the current governments of Canada, France, and Australia have in common?" reads the multiple choice question.

Of the four potential answers, "They have leaders with absolute power" was selected by 23 per cent of respondents.

Another 10 per cent of students said that "They are controlled by the military," while 12 per cent chose "They discourage participation by citizens in public affairs."
If you've had anything to do with 8th graders in the public school system, you'd be surprised they could read those big words like "Dictatorship" or "Discourage" or "Participation".

Most of those kids probably just picked random answers because they couldn't understand the questions.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:19 AM

29,702 posts, read 24,784,687 times
I'm sure the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Try engaging in a conversation with the average conservative. It's frightening. You'd think they want this nation to become the next Somalia. Than try talking to a liberal. You'd think they want this nation to become some kind of sissy nanny banana republic where everyone sits around and holds out their hand for a living.

There is no common sense anymore. Only extremism on all fronts. I'm sure Rome kinda looked like this just before it's collapse... That's what happens when a population becomes dull and useless.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:22 AM

47 posts, read 62,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I'm sure the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Try engaging in a conversation with the average conservative. It's frightening. You'd think they want this nation to become the next Somalia. Than try talking to a liberal. You'd think they want this nation to become some kind of sissy nanny banana republic where everyone sits around and holds out their hand for a living.

There is no common sense anymore. Only extremism on all fronts. I'm sure Rome

Old 05-22-2015, 11:22 AM

934 posts, read 594,298 times
Quote:

There is no common sense anymore. Only extremism on all fronts. I'm sure Rome kinda looked like this prior to it's collapse...
Whats the percentage of conservation who believe the USA is a dictatorship? ??

Old 05-22-2015, 11:27 AM
Status: "On the road with Kid Charlamagne" (set 17 days ago)

8,018 posts, read 5,827,812 times
Quote:

There is no common sense anymore. Only extremism on all fronts. I'm sure Rome kinda looked like this just before it's collapse... That's what happens when a population becomes dull and useless.
THIS.

The voice of the moderate has been drowned out for years. I just view these 8th graders' responses as proof positive that there is a dumbing down of America happening, and it's been going on for years.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:33 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,114,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texicon View Post
If you've had anything to do with 8th graders in the public school system, you'd be surprised they could read those big words like "Dictatorship" or "Discourage" or "Participation".

Most of those kids probably just picked random answers because they couldn't understand the questions.
I find it hard to believe that 13-14 year olds wouldn't know basic words like these. I went to mostly Chinese schools, and we knew/read words like those when we were 7. Yes, in English.

My guess was that those kids underestimated what it means to have "absolute power".

Old 05-22-2015, 11:37 AM

39,810 posts, read 26,408,051 times
Hardly a surprise, heck, half the voting age public is no brighter than these 8th graders. Hence Obama, twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies