Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2015, 11:48 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Everyone should be happy about this. Robots will allow people to work fewer hours, while earning more due to productive gains. What's not to love? Unless, you would rather see it play out in another fashion. In which case, more of the same for America, except worse.
But workers haven't been gaining higher wages or benefits since productivity has skyrocketed. This is a reason why our employment situation has been declining over several decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 11:51 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Wrong; workers gained higher benefits. In the last 2 decades, the typical employer has gone from paying $1k or so towards employee healthcare to today where they subsidize usually around 9k (singles are around 5k, families 12k plus for employer portion). That is $8k more in benefits the typical employee has gained, out of his employer's pocket.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:52 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
But workers haven't been gaining higher wages or benefits since productivity has skyrocketed. This is a reason why our employment situation has been declining over several decades.
Exactly.

I'd love it if robots did the necessary jobs. Everyone would be free to pursue things they want to do, rather than just working because they have to eat. But the conservatives have in their mind that work is why we live, which is true up to a point, but we're at a point in society where work doesn't mean what it used to. Become writer, and artist, a photographer. Travel and become wise. But as you said, robots replace workers, but no one is being paid more except the guys at the top and despite literally proof of this existing, the cons just say 'people are lazy.'

It's insane to me. I value hard work, but I value people doing what they love more. If people are free to pursue passions, we'll be a more productive and thoughtful and happy society. But I guess we're content with being pretty much poor and miserable. That's how it was then so that's how it must remain because tradition.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:58 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Wrong; workers gained higher benefits. In the last 2 decades, the typical employer has gone from paying $1k or so towards employee healthcare to today where they subsidize usually around 9k (singles are around 5k, families 12k plus for employer portion). That is $8k more in benefits the typical employee has gained, out of his employer's pocket.
Too bad it's really the same or less since the *value* of that health insurance keeps decreasing.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:02 AM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Hardly decreasing. When I first entered the professional workforce, insurance covered just hospital stays. I paid for annual checkups, blood tests, much of lab work, prescriptions were 100% my money, etc.

Now its a $10 co-pay for the doc; $20of mine for my $170 per month Crestor. And that is paid from Flex Med, so my costs are actually 70% of those amounts net of tax reductions due to Flex Med.

Today we expect that tremendous coverage, and it isn't just insurance anymore. It is insurance plus what once was out of pocket medical costs.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:27 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times
We've seen this before with the industrial revolution. In the short term (and I mean 'short in a relative sense- this could take DECADES), industrialization (or in this case automation) is BAD for workers. In the long run (could take decades for the adjustment to take hold), automation could be very good for all of our standards of living.

Our challenge is to make the transition less painful. And redistributing ever more dollars to billionaires is NOT the solution.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:34 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
In a perfect world, we could allow robots to do the mind numbing work that's necessary and free up people to pursue other jobs or continue to work in different industries with more pay (since labor costs go down). But we don't live in a perfect world, at least we try not to.
Yeah...

Quote:
"Think of an economy where people could be an artist or a photographer or a writer without worrying about keeping their day job in order to have health insurance." --- Nancy Pelosi
Just what we need... more poets and dreamers!

Old 05-26-2015, 05:34 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
We've seen this before with the industrial revolution. In the short term (and I mean 'short in a relative sense- this could take DECADES), industrialization (or in this case automation) is BAD for workers. In the long run (could take decades for the adjustment to take hold), automation could be very good for all of our standards of living.

Our challenge is to make the transition less painful. And redistributing ever more dollars to billionaires is NOT the solution.
So, unlike in the past where the changes were gradual, and over a large period of time, the current estimate is that we are going to lose somewhere between 30-60% of all jobs within 20 years.

And heres the thing....those job losses will continue to increase over time. 30 years from now I fully expect my job to be gone (software engineer).

This is vastly different then in the past.

So what IS the solution? Especially given that the job loss is not going to stop, but rather continue?

Old 05-26-2015, 06:07 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Everyone should be happy about this. Robots will allow people to work fewer hours, while earning more due to productive gains. What's not to love? Unless, you would rather see it play out in another fashion. In which case, more of the same for America, except worse.

Hmmmmmmmmmm............................... funny, but that is what they told us about automation in the 1960s- everyone will be happy, as they will make more money, work fewer hours and have more leisure time! I remember, even as a kid, telling my teacher she was nuts, as incomes would decline and the standard of living for the average person would decline. Just another liberal lie (which they can never remember, such as the global cooling issue) which has not come to fruition, despite marked enthusiasm and "the best of all intentions". These same liberal idiots in the education system tried to convince me to go into auto mechanics, despite being the valedictorian of my high school class and later becoming a physician.

A massive uneducated, unemployed, poor population is fertile ground for civil unrest. Our political system is SUPPOSED to help create an environment in which people can prosper (or fail) due to effort, luck, and innovation.

Despite being a conservative, I am fully in the tank for the middle class (I was from the lower middle class myself). Developed nations around the world should explore the concept of mandating a fixed percentage of manufacturing and services require human labor. Why? There MUST be a source of employment for those who cannot become CEOs, physicians, land owners, and business owners.

The response of developed nations, in the absence of fair and equitable trade, is to expand automation as a means of providing even lower employment costs than the slave labor of third world nations. Automation and robotics is a great thing, but expansion in an unchecked fashion will lead to social chaos.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:12 AM

24,409 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Great. Then we'll have illegal alien robots doing the jobs American robots don't want to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies