Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2015, 11:07 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,979,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
The funny thing is that the robots will eventually move up the employment ladder replacing people. Very very very few people will have their jobs survive it.

I'm a software engineer, 20 years from now I do not expect to be employed.
You keep saying that. An Indian should be doing your job now.

Quote:
If the light based systems pan out it could be under 10 years.
Light based processing still needs to be programmed. What's coming sooner is light based holographic storage.

Bots and automated infrastructure--and tooling--become obsolete really fast. Nobody wants to visit a restaurant they know is going to be gummed up with used, smelly works that reek of dim sum kitchen and hotel back room folding function table linens--or to be served by a limb or a chute that's stained and moldered up with same. In a dystopia like that, there're mechanic jobs and cleaner jobs. And latest gen equipment installation jobs. They might at best constitute an infinitesimal amount of restaurant food prep work 20 years from now. Places that will still look and perform very much like today, except all of the jobs will go to well compensated immigrants.

Already, a well known coffee outlet is known to have bought from subcontractors that use prison labor for foodstuffs prep, which is a lot cheaper than robots.

Last edited by mm4; 05-24-2015 at 12:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 11:16 AM

52,280 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Things are going to look a lot different in the next few yrs. The days of getting a job and staying there you're whole career are already long long gone.

The days of having no skills and being able to work are starting to be numbered.

The days of having high technical skills and getting work is going to be questionable in the next decade or so....

Things are looking a bit grim in the future for work... I have about 22 yrs or so to go, I hope I can somehow ride it out.

I worry about young kids today, what their futures hold for them.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:19 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
If true, what are you thoughts about a Robot or Machine taking your order?
I'd love it, my order would be correct 100% of the time, I wouldn't be dealing with an order taker that appears to be 19~29 but talks like a 9 year old and my food will look and taste the same no matter what time of the day or night I order it...

Old 05-24-2015, 11:40 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,979,590 times
You're going to see a lot more iatrogenically caused and GMO-borne infirmities: dyskinesias, squeaky hips, gut disorders. In the shorter term a disappearing middle class being prevailed upon by the 'elite' to buy more insurance product against them (and for them!), more home health care jobs and the meal prep that entails.

The incomes after taxes will be more stratified. A disappearing middle class will have its dollar formally devalued, its retirement plans confiscated, to pay for the vast populations of unemployed.

Eating at Christian patriot food outlets, that value its employees, will still be considered luxuries for a dwindling middle class. The state supported 'poor' will continue to buy from Shake Shack and Trader Joe's.

Last edited by mm4; 05-24-2015 at 11:49 AM..

Old 05-24-2015, 12:41 PM

52,280 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
You're going to see a lot more iatrogenically caused and GMO-borne infirmities: dyskinesias, squeaky hips, gut disorders. In the shorter term a disappearing middle class being prevailed upon by the 'elite' to buy more insurance product against them (and for them!), more home health care jobs and the meal prep that entails.

The incomes after taxes will be more stratified. A disappearing middle class will have its dollar formally devalued, its retirement plans confiscated, to pay for the vast populations of unemployed.

Eating at Christian patriot food outlets, that value its employees, will still be considered luxuries for a dwindling middle class. The state supported 'poor' will continue to buy from Shake Shack and Trader Joe's.
What the.......

Old 05-24-2015, 03:38 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
Quote:

So, are you saying that fast food consumption, purchased by the poor, because it's "cheaper" will lead to the above mentioned maladies? Correct me, if you meant something else...

Old 05-24-2015, 03:42 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Robots may make less mistakes, but unfortunately, they won't be a punching bag for irate sucktomers to yell at in order to vent their frustations about life in general either.

I'm sure some of you would prefer humans for this reason.
Actually it will make it easier...........just throw your coke on their electrical/electronic "intelligence center".... and watch the meltdown...........

Old 05-24-2015, 03:50 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Crazy things like what? College for free? Or college loans without high interest rates? OR?

Please, the Republicans version of "self improvement" is "We will get you in shape! Run that obstacle course!".....and then shoots the person in the leg. "Faster slacker! If you were rich you wouldn't be this weak!"
Actually, your example is exactly what the DEMS do. Build that business, sacrifice for your business, make your business a success. Now that you're successful, we're going to raise your taxes, because you shouldn't be able to keep all that money.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:59 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
Quote:
You're going to see a lot more iatrogenically caused and GMO-borne infirmities: dyskinesias, squeaky hips, gut disorders.
I know anti-science is a growing trend. Lets all go back to the middleages. Science is evil. Yet if you knew anything about GMO. . well you would know that nature has been genetically modifying plants before and after human beings were created. Your body was built to tear apart those proteins, without issue.

So the idea that GMO, by itself, is a concern is pretty anti-science. God even the daily show said it was idiotic.

Quote:
In the shorter term a disappearing middle class being prevailed upon by the 'elite' to buy more insurance product against them (and for them!), more home health care jobs and the meal prep that entails.

You forgot aliens in your tin-foil hat theory. I mean seriously. Here is the thing. . everytime something new happened (tractors replaced guys with shovels) we had more jobs than before. OH, you whine, this time it will be different.

Sure

Old 05-24-2015, 04:03 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,771 times
Quote:
The funny thing is that the robots will eventually move up the employment ladder replacing people. Very very very few people will have their jobs survive it.

I'm a software engineer, 20 years from now I do not expect to be employed.
I dunno. Computer generated code is ugly stuff. I mean, it works in a pinch for ad-hoc processes that need to get done right now in a manpower or budget shortage situation but good luck debugging or maintaining it in the long run. I'm not sure exactly how increased processing power would fix this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies