Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 12:15 AM

2,686 posts, read 1,771,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Oh I am well aware of military nurses role during Vietnam. I was a navy corpsman there. I was making a remark as to the situation of the time. I will be the first to tell you that our nurses in the hospital in Danang played a very important role. Today it is much different. Women can and do go into combat positions that were previously not allowed. The last person you have to tell about women officers during Vietnam is me. I laid in one the hospital there and received care and I was eternally grateful for their professionalism. Get off your high horse.
If what you have said is true, and I have no reason doubt your authenticity, why would you marginalize those women who served and who you knew so well? Thank you for your service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 12:21 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
If what you have said is true, and I have no reason doubt your authenticity, why would you marginalize those women who served and who you knew so well? Thank you for your service.
I didn't marginalize them. I stated the facts of the day. You took my post out of context.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:31 AM

Quote:
You took my post out of context.
How so?

Old 05-29-2015, 12:36 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
How so?
I stated facts of the time and you contrived it as an attack on military women. That was never the point. The topic of this thread implies that Hillary should have volunteered to go to Vietnam and with that implication was the assumption that she would have served in a combat role to have gained her understanding of the military function. The fact is, that until recently women were restricted from serving in such a capacity and that was what my statement was intended to point out. I would never belittle our women, enlisted or officer in the military.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:55 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,834,761 times
Should Hillary have volunteered for military service during the Vietnam War?
As a nam vet who went through the process .. all I can say is that Hitlary would be classified as IV-F.

(Too fat in the ankles )

Old 05-29-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Their MOS or NEC were the only designation that could get a woman in country at all at that time. Even in country they were never allowed to be anywhere, where there was a high probability of contact with the enemy. We did however lose a few women to rocket attacks in country.. 59 civilian women and 8 military women died in Vietnam. This does not belittle their sacrifice, but rather is commentary on the times.
You seem to have a fixation on "contact with the enemy". Did you know that many male veterans who served in Vietnam did not ever come in contact with the Viet Cong or the NVA? They were what the infantry guys referred to as REMF's (rear echelon fill in the rest - it involves one's mother and a not very nice word). Anyway's, the point is that one did not have to carry an M-16 and shoot a g o o k on patrol in the elephant grass, or climbed a mountain during the battle of Dak To to be a Vietnam veteran. There were also many people who served during the Vietnam War who did not go across the Pacific but supported the war effort stateside. If Hillary had done just that, not even been "in country", she would have my support as a presidential candidate. That doesn't mean that I would vote for her, but she would have passed my litmus test. Spare me "the constitution does not require it" nonsense. The constitution does not outlaw opinions. If it did then we wouldn't have gun grabbers whining all the time about the Second Amendment.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I stated facts of the time and you contrived it as an attack on military women. That was never the point. The topic of this thread implies that Hillary should have volunteered to go to Vietnam and with that implication was the assumption that she would have served in a combat role to have gained her understanding of the military function. The fact is, that until recently women were restricted from serving in such a capacity and that was what my statement was intended to point out. I would never belittle our women, enlisted or officer in the military.
No, I never said anything about combat service. You just made that up. I believe that is called a straw man argument. I asked if she should have volunteered to serve as a member of the military during the Vietnam War. You are aware aren't you that there are plenty of military jobs that don't involve shooting someone or blowing something up, or even being in a war theater, right?

Old 05-29-2015, 09:42 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
You are correct. Unfortunately facts and reason are meaningless on this thread: you are casting pearls in front of swine.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
You are correct. Unfortunately facts and reason are meaningless on this thread: you are casting pearls in front of swine.
Combat service has nothing to do with this thread. I oppose women in combat as much as I support a presidential candidate serving in the military. My goodness, you Hillary supporters are myopic!

Old 05-29-2015, 11:10 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Then perhaps you should change your posting style and try some actual facts and reasoning instead of what you usually post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies