Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 03:25 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,568,438 times

Advertisements

WOw, Fox says George Bush was voted as one of the top villains in History by 7000 College Students. 1st was Hitler, 2nd was Osama Ben Laden, and 3rd was George Bush. He ranked worse than Stalin and Mao. SO much for the folks who said he would go down in History as a "Good Guy" and one of our best Presidents. Can we call that "Karma?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 03:28 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
And ignorant result like that and the left still says they aren't brainwashing students or pushing an agenda.

It's not called "Karma" it's called "poor teachers".

Old 05-23-2015, 03:33 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
WOw, Fox says George Bush was voted as one of the top villains in History by 7000 College Students. 1st was Hitler, 2nd was Osama Ben Laden, and 3rd was George Bush. He ranked worse than Stalin and Mao. SO much for the folks who said he would go down in History as a "Good Guy" and one of our best Presidents. Can we call that "Karma?"
I'm no fan of Bush, but clearly there are too many college students with too little knowledge of even 20th century history.

Here is the survey.

The interpretation of the statistics is very important to understand, especially the concept of the "Intraclass correlation coefficients."

Basically, in a survey that asks many cultures to rate historical figures as "heroes" or "villains," you're going to have some figures who are "we absolutely love" or "we absolutely hate" in some cultures, and it will often be those in the middle who rise to the top of statistics.

For instance, Einstein is at the top of the hero ranking. This isn't necessarily because everyone thought he should be number one, but because as a long-time world-famous scientist, most everyone though he should quite high and nobody thought he should be very low.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 05-23-2015 at 03:46 PM..

Old 05-23-2015, 03:33 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,103,214 times
Yea I agree. When he said "read my lips, no new taxes" and then raised taxes, huge villain in my book.

Old 05-23-2015, 03:35 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,408,008 times
i'm surprised college students put bin laden in front of bush

libs and others have suffered from bush derangement for years

for the most part an everyday person knew nothing of osama bin laden, all they knew is that they tuned into on the tv and what they heard politicians and other people in the govt saying about xyz... noone knew first hand what went down over the years regarding terrorism and whatnot

just shows the vast majority of people just take direction from someone else and go with it w/o question

Old 05-23-2015, 03:41 PM

10,832 posts, read 14,927,894 times
If this is true it's bad on so many levels.

Who was #4, Ronald Reagan?

Pol Pot didn't make the list?

Wow, just wow.

Old 05-23-2015, 03:50 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
Yea I agree. When he said "read my lips, no new taxes" and then raised taxes, huge villain in my book.
wrong bush, read the poll again it says bush JR

Old 05-23-2015, 03:53 PM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Yes, thousands of years of known human history, and the 3 worst villains were products of the last 130 years?

I thought college students were supposed to be smart? And I thought colleges were supposed to educate these people?

No wonder nobody wants our nation's grads.

Old 05-23-2015, 03:57 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
i'm surprised college students put bin laden in front of bush

libs and others have suffered from bush derangement for years

for the most part an everyday person knew nothing of osama bin laden, all they knew is that they tuned into on the tv and what they heard politicians and other people in the govt saying about xyz... noone knew first hand what went down over the years regarding terrorism and whatnot

just shows the vast majority of people just take direction from someone else and go with it w/o question
This was a world-wide poll. What they knew was that there was a war in their lifetime, war is bad, and the main players they heard about in the war were Bush, Hussein, and bin Laden (yes, I know bin Laden was not involved in that war, but he's in the media mix of the time). So they all tended to put those figures at the bottom.

Few people even in the US would have listed Bush at the top of a list that included so many other much more heralded Americans, and few people outside America would have put Bush high on their lists at all, so the statistics pushed him to the bottom.

If we could see how the same list of personages broke down by country, we'd have something much more interesting and useful.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:04 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
'No good deed goes unpunished...'--anonymous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies