Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 10:33 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
In Germany the state's are responsible for funding education. Homeschooling is illegal.

About 30% of Germany's college age population enroll in school despite the state pays for it. Of those that do, 31% graduate.

In contrast, 66% of US college age population enroll in school. Of those that do, 39% graduate.

Nothing other than funding precludes any U.S. state from absorbing the cost of tuition for qualified students.

How you gonna pay for that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 10:36 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The US already spends more money on college tuition grants annually than the total tuition collected by all the public colleges in the country.

??? Then why does student loan debt exceed one trillion dollars?

Old 06-01-2015, 10:56 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? Then why does student loan debt exceed one trillion dollars?
Because "student load debt" includes thousands of people who have been paying on their student loans for a quarter of a century and owe more now than they did when they were graduated.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:11 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
Why couldn't credit hours and grades be based on nothing but tests? Tests could be computerized so no two students get the same test and the student pays $50 for the test. Just tell the students what book(s) cover the material for the test. It is so curious that we are presented with contradictory ideas about testing.

Students that need teachers can pay for their time. The smarter the student the cheaper the education.

psik
Well there is moneyballing the degree that comes from say testing out. Testing Out of College: How to "Moneyball" Your College Degree | The Art of Manliness I wouldn't suggest it for everyone as there are people that hate testing or can't cram (I know I can't, I need it in class to recall and either hear analogies or create my own.)

Old 06-01-2015, 11:16 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
On the face of it, that stat makes it seem like the states have been negligent at best, and stingy at worst, with their funding. But is it really the fault of the states or the schools?

Even after adjusting for inflation, college budgets ballooned over 300% between 1975 and 2005. A state that was funding its schools at 50% in 1975 and increased its funding every year to match inflation would find itself squarely in the "10-20% of the school's budget" situation by 2005. Is the state stingy, or the school greedy?

I'd say the "change in philosophy" has come more from the university side than the state side. The aforementioned "amenities arms race," along with a substantial increase in the ratio of administrative and other non-academic employees per student, has mushroomed the relative cost of college with no appreciable increase in the quality of the actual education.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/05/op...much.html?_r=0
Interesting point. Part of it is the pay and benefits, part of it is the costs of programs too (sure research is funded but that needs to come from somewhere. The issue is as wages go up, people do need to be compeled to stay on or they will leave.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:14 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How you gonna pay for that?
It's an investment by the country. College graduates make a lot more money and pay more taxes.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:10 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
The college degree would end up being an expensive high school diploma. Most people just need a vocational trade.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
The college degree would end up being an expensive high school diploma.
That has already happened. That's why we have people with sociology degrees folding blouses at the GAP.

Quote:
Most people just need a vocational trade.
That's true.

I've got a couple of nieces and nephews who have wasted a decade and thousands of dollars after high school finally coming to that decision--which I told their parents they should do when these kids were in high school.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:20 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
When I was hired for my first job, I was given a book and told to take it home and learn it. The job paid well, so I read all 75 pages that night. I was on my way to a career that pays the bills. Why can't we go back to that model of employment??? On the job training and independent study. Schools are nothing but an unnecessary middle man for many viable careers.
Agree totally ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 06-02-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
When I was hired for my first job, I was given a book and told to take it home and learn it. The job paid well, so I read all 75 pages that night. I was on my way to a career that pays the bills. Why can't we go back to that model of employment??? On the job training and independent study. Schools are nothing but an unnecessary middle man for many viable careers.
These days, companies aren't doing OJT, and only certain fields are certifiable through independent study.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies