Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 09:49 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Tennessee already does offer free tuition for a two year community college degree. I think this is worthwhile for workforce education. If a student wants to continue on to a four year degree they can do so on their own dime.

Tennessee Promise | Drive to 55 Tennessee
I would agree with this. On the aspect of government-paid "education," most of that package should be government-paid "workforce education" rather than "bachelor degrees for everyone." Most of the funding should be for technical training, technical apprenticeships, and certification course fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 09:53 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Sounds like a great way to train doctors, nurses, teachers, engineers, etc! Bring it on! Drop licensing requirements, too!
Reading comprehension fail. I never said all professions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Public schools suck. Huge classes with education mandated by people with a political agenda for social engineering. One of the many reasons why my daughter attends parochial school. No gender confused, brain damaged idiots, no political agenda.
Sounds like college. Or community college at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
75 pages..no pictures..wow, such onerous requirements.

I got a similar length instruction book at age 18 at a telemarketing job during college. (It was the #2 US telemarketer at the time with about 800 employees).
There were more to follow, if that makes you feel better.

I'm sure that telemarketing job genuinely required all those pages too...

Old 05-25-2015, 10:28 AM

59,086 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Free tuition for all would be a huge waste of money, but America could easily afford to make college free for the limited number who are really qualified to attend.
"for the limited number who are really qualified to attend."

The problem toady is way too many go to college that are NOT qualified to attend.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:40 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"for the limited number who are really qualified to attend."

The problem toady is way too many go to college that are NOT qualified to attend.
So true. But just about everyone wants to go. And some come from districts (like apparently, T310's) where the public schools "suck."

Old 05-25-2015, 10:52 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
So true. But just about everyone wants to go. And some come from districts (like apparently, T310's) where the public schools "suck."
That's because school counselors and the rest of society incessantly sell the idea that college is the only valid option. It's rare that a kid ever hears of technical training as an equally viable option, even though by the time a kid is in the tenth grade, those for whom technical training is the more viable option become apparent. And these days few schools have a robust technical preparation curriculum, even though that's what 70% of kids actually need.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:54 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I'm sure that telemarketing job genuinely required all those pages too...
Even face to face sales had that.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:20 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,523,421 times
Or do what Obama did, First President to apply for college aid as a foreign
student, then deny he was a foreigner.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:48 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
Colleges are not selling 'education' - they're selling CREDENTIALS.
You can learn any way, any time, any place, but without those credentials, that education won't comply with Labor laws, etc., etc.

If you want to drive down the cost for credentials, let government offer credentials - by - examination.
That would kill off the monopoly that accredited institutions rely on.

(& those exams could be very inexpensive, or at the least, have fees waived for those who demonstrate scholarship)

Old 05-25-2015, 12:49 PM

52,279 posts, read 52,700,922 times
My understanding is that the "free" college in Germany isn't free for everyone, they have strict standards to be accepted and if you don't make it, you don't a free education.

Which is in a way ok with me, I think that not all people are cut out for college. Not for lack of intelligence but some people learn and do things differently. I think the trades are a good place for a lot of people, people that like to work with their hands, not everyone wants to be a doctor or an engineer.

At the end of the day we need all things across the spectrum and a lot of advanced degrees and things that can simply be learned by reading, not necessarily sitting in a college classroom.

I guess I view things from a more practical and pragmatic point of view. I do however value education, I think people should have access to college..... how to pay for it, not sure, don't have the answers there.... I do know that we are taxed into high heaven here in California so I'm not really thrilled about more taxes.

I do think that having technology like on-line courses is going to get more popular in the future, I know people at work sort of scoff at on-line schools, but I think that they, if anything, can require more self discipline to actually do, you need to have more focus to get through them... this is of course just my opinion.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:55 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
More college-educated baristas doesn't seem like a solution to any problem the US now has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies