Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 10:13 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post

Crime is related to level of economic prosperity. American Blacks literally have been placed in one of the worst possible circumstances of any ethnic group in the world, brought to a new world with no history of economic wealth (Jews in Europe had a history of economic wealth), enslaved, then after being freed (and after desegregation) being told that most of their problems come from being lazy. Not to mention the psychological effects of the house slave/field slave theme and the light-skinned/dark skinned seperation that was instilled by the slave masters, I honestly don't think there is any modern group that can be compared to African-Americans just because of their history in this country. It's sad really. I sincerely believe if you exposed any ethnic group to the same circumstances of American blacks you would get the same results
I get where you're coming from but it's not that simple with Black-Americans. During segregation Black-Americans had various thriving black business districts where their spending dollars circulated several times before leaving black hands. This changed with the coming of integration. During segregation blacks had these thriving business districts out of necessity. This necessity became less with integration causing black Americans to de-emphasize business ownership. Blacks need to get back to the level of business activity we had during segregation but this time it needs to be motivated by the need to create employment and wealth in our communities.

Booming Biz: Black America's Historic Business Districts | News | BET
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 12:15 AM

2,686 posts, read 1,771,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I get where you're coming from but it's not that simple with Black-Americans. During segregation Black-Americans had various thriving black business districts where their spending dollars circulated several times before leaving black hands. This changed with the coming of integration. During segregation blacks had these thriving business districts out of necessity. This necessity became less with integration causing black Americans to de-emphasize business ownership. Blacks need to get back to the level of business activity we had during segregation but this time it needs to be motivated by the need to create employment and wealth in our communities.

Booming Biz: Black America's Historic Business Districts | News | BET
Black people would do better trading with each other. So would white people. Separatism does not mean superiority, it means each race doing the best that than can for themselves.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:41 PM

89,011 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
The rules are different for black people and white people. White people haven't had to deal with slavery, indentured servitude, being lynched, Jim Crow, housing segregation,the War on Drugs, and the School to Prison Pipeline.
False.

The Irish Slave Trade

http://xroads.virginia.edu/~ug03/oma...hkennedys.html

Old 06-09-2015, 05:33 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,529,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Crime is related to level of economic prosperity.
Your implication is that crime is caused by a lack of prosperity. This is a very tired liberal mythi. The truth is actually the converse, crime causes poverty.

People (of any income level) who rob, rape, and murder do so because they lack a functioning conscience and moral self-control. It is not material poverty that causes violent crime, but poor character.

As far as the causes of crime in the black community you don't have to look very far:
  • Over the past thirty years, the rise in violent crime parallels the rise in families abandoned by fathers.
  • High-crime neighborhoods are characterized by high concentrations of families abandoned by fathers.
  • State-by-state analysis by Heritage scholars indicates that a 10 percent increase in the percentage of children living in single-parent homes leads typically to a 17 percent increase in juvenile crime.
  • The rate of violent teenage crime corresponds with the number of families abandoned by fathers.
Read more: Articles: Poverty Is Not The Cause of Criminal Behavior
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

Old 06-10-2015, 10:21 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
Your implication is that crime is caused by a lack of prosperity. This is a very tired liberal mythi. The truth is actually the converse, crime causes poverty.

People (of any income level) who rob, rape, and murder do so because they lack a functioning conscience and moral self-control. It is not material poverty that causes violent crime, but poor character.

As far as the causes of crime in the black community you don't have to look very far:
  • Over the past thirty years, the rise in violent crime parallels the rise in families abandoned by fathers.
  • High-crime neighborhoods are characterized by high concentrations of families abandoned by fathers.
  • State-by-state analysis by Heritage scholars indicates that a 10 percent increase in the percentage of children living in single-parent homes leads typically to a 17 percent increase in juvenile crime.
  • The rate of violent teenage crime corresponds with the number of families abandoned by fathers.
Read more: Articles: Poverty Is Not The Cause of Criminal Behavior
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

Um....you do realize that violent crime has decreased over the past 30 years right???

Even with the increase in out of wedlock births amongst black people.

Also during that period the out of wedlock birth amongst whites has more than doubled and crime rates amongst white persons has not gone up either and has decreased as well.

Therefore, it is safe to assume that one part of what you wrote is correct - that crime is about character.

Character has nothing to do with out of wedlock birth rates and that statistics cannot be correlated to black crime when black crime has decreased the most of all other demographics since the late 1980s and 1990s when crime was at its peak.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:07 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I'm black. Why should I pay attention to him?

Just because he is black?

FYI - black people overwhelmingly are not criminals, have jobs, have a decent education, make a decent middle class income, and don't live in public housing nor have AFDC or TANF.

LOL at you all.

Pay attention black folk!!!

Like I am going to say

"Oh, here is a black guy that says some things that some white people think represents me as a black person. I should listen to him, he is a "special" negro." LOL

If I should listen to black people talk about black issues then I should also listen to

Louis Farakhan
Tavis Smiley
Barack Obama
Clarence Thomas
Cornel West
Michael Eric Dyson
etc.

Lots of black men speak about race issues. Which one should I listen to almighty white person?
I wasn't going to respond to this thread until I read your post. You are absolutely right, and don't you find it interesting how some people seem to think that black people need to just listen to other black leaders who have all of the solutions to solve all of our people's problems?

What gets me too is how these same people use stats against black people to justify their own racist motivation behind using them, as if to say I am better than you in the first place,and these stats just make the person feel so good about him/herself and their race. It's just sad and pathetic.

When a black person ( or specifically a black 48 year old man like me, who's never been arrested, college educated, has a household income over sixfigures, conservative, married to his baby mama ), I have to deal with the other side of this catch-22 that these same people put black people like me in, that is, now they have a problem with us living the American dream.

So what these same people come up with again to make themselves feel better is to go on attack and say things like well affirmative action got successful black people where we are, we didn't work for it nor earned our good paying jobs because we met required job quotas etc. These same people love to point out how black people mainly get unionized GOVERNMENT jobs, and since most black people don't know how to start businesses etc. that's all we are good for anyway.

So my attitude has become this. I am cool on anyone who finds it entertaining to bash black people because it makes the person feel good about himself. Maybe this person is a loser, maybe this same person listing these stats about black people is receiving public assistance and dropped out of high school and needs to bash blacks to mask his or her pain of not being a successful white person that our society expect him or her to be in the first place.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:27 PM

998 posts, read 665,261 times
I think it's sad that so many blacks fall into the persistent belief that everyone hates them. I've lived in different areas of the world and different communities, and blacks are essentially the only group that exhibit this type of thinking. It's very odd to see an entire group of people blame their failures, whether personal or as a collective, on some notion of "racism". Do they believe there is some element of the human brain that simply hates people with dark skin, and that's just that? What a depressing way to think.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:31 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddingPops View Post
I think it's sad that so many blacks fall into the persistent belief that everyone hates them. I've lived in different areas of the world and different communities, and blacks are essentially the only group that exhibit this type of thinking. It's very odd to see an entire group of people blame their failures, whether personal or as a collective, on some notion of "racism". Do they believe there is some element of the human brain that simply hates people with dark skin, and that's just that? What a depressing way to think.
I see your point, but you tell that to people in my grandmother's generation who experienced hatred towards them because of the color of their skin. I guess you gotta walk in the shoes of the people to understand why some still feel the way that they do. As a black man, I don't feel like that, but it just gets me when you have some people who love to vilify black people to make themselves feel good about themselves. That's what I have issue with. But again, nothing's new under the sun either.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:26 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,349,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I wasn't going to respond to this thread until I read your post. You are absolutely right, and don't you find it interesting how some people seem to think that black people need to just listen to other black leaders who have all of the solutions to solve all of our people's problems?

What gets me too is how these same people use stats against black people to justify their own racist motivation behind using them, as if to say I am better than you in the first place,and these stats just make the person feel so good about him/herself and their race. It's just sad and pathetic.

When a black person ( or specifically a black 48 year old man like me, who's never been arrested, college educated, has a household income over sixfigures, conservative, married to his baby mama ), I have to deal with the other side of this catch-22 that these same people put black people like me in, that is, now they have a problem with us living the American dream.

So what these same people come up with again to make themselves feel better is to go on attack and say things like well affirmative action got successful black people where we are, we didn't work for it nor earned our good paying jobs because we met required job quotas etc. These same people love to point out how black people mainly get unionized GOVERNMENT jobs, and since most black people don't know how to start businesses etc. that's all we are good for anyway.

So my attitude has become this. I am cool on anyone who finds it entertaining to bash black people because it makes the person feel good about himself. Maybe this person is a loser, maybe this same person listing these stats about black people is receiving public assistance and dropped out of high school and needs to bash blacks to mask his or her pain of not being a successful white person that our society expect him or her to be in the first place.
Great post.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:16 PM

200 posts, read 278,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Found this on reallcearpolitcs and just had to share, since it makes some points that I always make.

The True Black Tragedy - Walter E. Williams - Page 1

The pathologies that we see in the black community do not go back to slavery and have nothing to do with racism. They are entirely new and self created. Some facts:

In 1925 New York City, 85 percent of black families were two-parent. One study of 19th-century slave families found that in up to three-fourths of the families, all the children had the same mother and father.

In 1940, black illegitimacy stood at 14 percent. It had risen to 25 percent by 1965, when Daniel Patrick Moynihan wrote "The Negro Family: The Case for National Action" and was widely condemned as a racist. By 1980, the black illegitimacy rate had more than doubled, to 56 percent, and it has been growing since.

In 1948, the unemployment rate for black teens was slightly less than that of their white counterparts -- 9.4 percent compared with 10.2. During that same period, black youths were either just as active in the labor force or more so than white youths.

If we love and value our African American citizens, we will start telling the truth about the dysfunctional nature of the inner city black communities as a first step towards solving the problems. Blacks continue to lag behind whites, Hispanics and Asians because there is a lack of effort, an entitlement mentality, and most of all, a complete dearth of goals, standards, or expectations in the inner city black communities.

In the inner city black community, it is acceptable to not have a job. It is acceptable to use EBT cards and be on AFDC. It is acceptable to live in public housing. It is acceptable to spend most life in a state of intoxication. It is acceptable to have multiple children out of wedlock. It is acceptable to glorify pimps and other villains. It is acceptable, even desirable, to have a criminal record. It is acceptable to fail at school. It is acceptable to resort to violence.

The modern welfare state has made these things not only acceptable, but desirable. When failure brings free goods and services courtesy of Uncle Sam and the tax payer, then failure becomes the goal.

I no longer care if people call me a racist- I consider those who coddle and enable the destructive behavior of the inner city black community to be the true racists. Nor do I care about he faux complexity argument that I always receive ad nauseum . I ask that all those who really care about black people, want them to achieve success and believe in them as human beings stand with me and the author of this fine article in telling the truth.

Peace.
Lord jesus help me (and Im an Atheist)

Now Im gonna keep it 100. You sound like anyone's older black auntie,uncle or mother or father. The things you pointed out are things we in the Black community point out too but with one little difference. We actually live the ish.

The government didnt say "hey heres money" and black folks did a collective "WOOOOO POVERTY!!!" Welfare is bare bones care. BARE BONES.

You have to take into account the history of how this happened in order to stop it or slow it down. Honestly, the poorest of our communities are the residual effects of the war on drugs. Bruthas didnt start selling dope just because they are sociopaths. THERE WERENT ANY JOBS! In comes tge war on drugs and o whole generation of men are in and out of jail for petty drug crimes leaving mothers on welfare. Some of them. Not even most.

It will turn around now that we are in the millineal post civil rights era. As a black man Ive seen all this first hand.

So OP i see what your saying and its not far off from what we say in the black community. Again the only difference is that a lot of is lived it. The rebuilding of our community isnt going to come from government, its going to come from private investment but the money/trend isnt quite there yet.
But lets not forget that the Black community is ripe with entrepreneurship at the moment. There are maaaany black buisnesses out there in our communities. We also dont reside in those once urban areas either. Media talks about white flight TOTALLY neglecting that there was such a thing as Black flight as well.

You dont hear about these things because
A) Its not as exciting
B) Its none of your business

As a community we are not required to check in with the masses saying "Hey boss! I'z makin somthin good on my lifes now! I'z tryin ta stat a bizness" and our assimilation isnt going to look like immigrants because we were never sold an image to look up to.

So yeah.

Last edited by stationplay; 06-13-2015 at 04:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies