Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 09:41 AM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX City visiting View Post
I don't think any Christian denomination would be against a Nativity Scene sitting in front of public buildings by itself without having to be next to a Menorah in order for it to be permitted...
Personally I would. Well, it doesn't have to but if one wants to they are as free to as anyone else.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:42 AM

493 posts, read 385,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I disagree with the very idea of a state sponsored religion or a system of laws that favors followers of any particular religion
You do, but maybe the majority don't. Put it up to a vote; I can guarantee that through democracy most Americans would be in favor of having Christianity a state sponsored religion.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:42 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,780,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Because.......just saying......we get arguments all the time about how great Scandanavian and certain European countries do in their social policies. Providing health insurance, etc. They also use tax money to fund the church.

No, just because you agree with one aspect does not mean you have to agree with all but.........

Church tax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I wouldn't even be opposed to taxes funding religion if Christianity in the US hadn't devolved into a backwards political organization full of hate groups and people who want to undermine science. The Bible is still an important piece of history and I can't say I object to things like charity and personal development. It's just not worth it when it's connected to so much stupidity and hate... and I don't see how you could ever change this or prevent it from devolving in similar fashion in the future.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:43 AM

33,553 posts, read 18,147,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
We are not a theocracy. Religion would muck it all up in no time, Christians would dominate and subjugate anyone not a christian, laws would all favor christians and before you know it, all other religions would be taking the back seat. Sorry, keep your religion out of our government. It is already bad enough that they have a superiority complex.
Removing all Christian influences, which is happening now, this country is doomed to destroy itself. Without morality and standards to uphold we will become more and more corrupt. We are headed there now.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:46 AM

957 posts, read 757,859 times
It's bad enough I have these Christians coming to my door and disturbing me with their propaganda. Keep your religion to yourself and let us live our lives as we choose and we will in turn respect your right to worship as you choose.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:48 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
I don't think any Christian denomination would be against a Nativity Scene sitting in front of public buildings by itself without having to be next to a Menorah in order for it to be permitted...
GEE! Christians wouldn't object to a Nativity Scene! STOP THE PRESSES!

I'll note you haven't answered the question of just WHO in your Christian favoring state would be responsible for determining just who IS a Christian?

Quote:
This works fine in most other nations, why can't it be in America regardless of the "current" Constitution.
While my personal belief is far too much of a fuss is made over things like Nativity Scenes in front of public buildings the fact remains there seems no Constitutional basis for favoring one religion over another and I believe that's a good thing.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:48 AM

957 posts, read 757,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Removing all Christian influences, which is happening now, this country is doomed to destroy itself. Without morality and standards to uphold we will become more and more corrupt. We are headed there now.
How do you explain corruption and pedophilia in the "Christian" community?

Old 05-26-2015, 09:50 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post

It's ridiculous to try and claim morality and standards cannot exist in the absence of religion but I'm sure the extremists of most religions would have us believe that falsehood.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:54 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,737,785 times
Quote:
You do, but maybe the majority don't. Put it up to a vote; I can guarantee that through democracy most Americans would be in favor of having Christianity a state sponsored religion.
Please cite the basis for your statement that "most Americans would be in favor of having Christianity a state sponsored religion."

Hint - your opinion, as well as the opinions of most people you know, are not sufficient basis for your assertion.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:57 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
I'd disagree. As a Christian, I would not support your brand of Christianity being a state sponsored religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies