Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 02:55 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
If right-wingers controlled Hollywood:

No thanks.

You are waiting for the movie "Lorne Michaels Opens Hell!", correct?

Lots of libs will stand in line for that one, especially if he can get a bunch of lefty SNL alumni involved. Good thing Sandler won't be one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 04:37 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,159,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
All of them are bankable stars, so they can afford to be open about their politics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
I said "other than well-established" actors. Eastwood, Schwartzenegger, Sandler, Willis, etc. are famous enough to come out as Conservative and not destroy their career. As for the bulk of that list, if you remove the 10 or so who are dead, the blue-collar comedians, musicians, athletes or actors who haven't gotten any significant work in the past 20 years, the list shrinks down to a handful. Jon Voight, Tony Danza, Heather Locklear, Dean Cain and Stephen Baldwin aren't exactly drowning in roles.

The book "Primetime Propaganda" is loaded with interviews straight from TV writers and producers who openly and shamelessly discuss how they discriminated against Conservatives in the industry going as far back as the 70's.
That's completely nonsensical, its not as if all these conservative actors were ordained by God to be top stars, they got there the same way as everyone else, luck, talent and connections. Adam Sandler wasn't born into stardom, he was a teen actor, then on SNL then made movies people liked. Shouldn't the so called liberal conspiracy have crushed his career when he was young rather than allow him to become a bankable star and Hollywood powerhouse? Lorne Michaels had many conservative stars on SNL like Victoria Jackson, Norm Macdonald, Rob Schneider and Colin Quinn, it's not his fault these people didn't have the talent to make it to the top.

I imagine in Tea Party Land, Tony Danza saying "ay yo oh ay" is considered the pinnacle of talent but hes lucky to have gotten as far as he did with his complete lack of acting skills. Dean Cain and Stephen Baldwin are braindead pretty boys who are lucky to have their B-list careers. Right wing lunatics are the only ones so shallow to think people like them and Kirk Cameron are great talents.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:48 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Quote:
I don't have much good to say about an industry that is openly biased against Conservatives working in it, to the point where Conservatives in Hollywood (other than well-established ones like Clint Eastwood, Patricia Heaton, Kelsey Grammar, etc.) have to hide their beliefs in order to keep working.
If these 'conservative' actors/film industry workers have to hide their political beliefs--how do you know about it? Conservatives Anonymous?

I bet a lot of people who can't get ahead in their chosen careers would love to be able to blame it on their political beliefs.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:51 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,453,864 times
Quote:
Jon Voight, Tony Danza, Heather Locklear, Dean Cain and Stephen Baldwin aren't exactly drowning in roles.
Thankfully you are right.

Though I'm pretty sure politics has nothing to do with them not getting cast.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:32 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Yes, name a highly successful film over the last ten years that leaned left?

Old 05-29-2015, 09:05 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,133,803 times
I don't know why conservatives think liberals love Hollywood. A lot of non white liberals despise Hollywood just as much as conservatives do since they view Hollywood as extremely racist. Many non white liberals actually consider Hollywood to be more racist than the most racist Republicans because to many non white liberals, at least the most racist Republicans don't have the reach that Hollywood does to spread negative images of their respective ethnic/racial group.

BTW, expressing a pro-Palestine or anti-Israel view will get you blacklisted in Hollywood.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:26 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blind melon View Post
Its a business whose ultimate goal is to make money

If conservatives cant get behind that, well then they really dont stamd for anything
This. Very few areas of industry operate under more cut-throat market economy conditions, and very few areas of industry are more focused on the bottom line. Each major studio has about 12 major relases per year, and they're typically gambling $100 million a piece. If you're not very tuned into markets and business management, you're not going to be sitting at the table for very long.

Of course - with a very few exceptions - the beautiful people with the loud opinions in the shiny magazines aren't the ones running Hollywood.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Hollywood is in business to make money. If they can make money by pumping out things I consider junk like Transformers or Fast & Furious 623, I say go for it.

I will say that they do put out very good films. Some of the popular ones that come to mind are Shawshank Redemption, Mystic River, Schindlers' List, The Silence Of The Lambs, American History X, Saving Private Ryan, Unforgiven, The Dark Night, Gone Girl and Fargo. If I were to look at a list and not have to think of them off the top of my head, I'm sure I could point out dozens more from the last 20 years.
The Transformers and the car movies pays the bills that allow the studios to try and stray a little bit from the sure and certain path, at times.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
If that were true, they would create far more product directed at Conservatives. American Sniper made $350 million, is in the top 30 all-time box office and was a January release. Christian films last year earned really well on very modest budgets, while big-budget junk like Noah which treated the Bible poorly, flopped.

If they truly only cared about making money, they wouldn't have kept trying to make so many anti-war, anti-military films in the past decade. They all bombed, but Hollywood kept cranking them out because they wanted to push ideas rather than make money.
See, here's the thing: There is nothing - nothing - keeping a conservative from raising funds, setting up a production company, finding a properly conservative script, hiring crafts and trades and soundstages, hiring talent and shooting their conservative epic. Sometimes it even happens. Sometimes it even works.

The thing is, it's really goddamn hard, and really seriously risky. But if conservative investors want to see it happen, the door is open for anyone willing to put cash on the barrelhead.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:43 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,204 times
Hollywood is incredibly conservative. It's essentially the propaganda machine for the interests of the elite. Notice how many pro-war movies and stereotypical love stories they put out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies