Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2015, 01:14 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,433,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
You're a complete and utter buffoon if you think men like George W Bush didn't support big government.
And to use your rude language, you're a complete and utter buffoon for thinking that I thought that.

I said in my post that there were conservative objections to almost all "conservative" presidents, just as there are liberal objections to almost all "liberal" presidents.
Quote:
Conservatives have little in common with the founding fathers.
Wrong.
Quote:
Not a single one would have said invading Iraq was a just cause. Nor would they invade Vietnam.
But they had no problem with going after the Barbary Pirates, while at the same time encouraging piracy themselves against the British.

They also seemed to have very little concern about the territorial claims of Indian tribes.

Quote:
And social conservatism is big government. Creating laws to interfere in people's personal affairs is the expansion of government into people's private lives.
It's not a question of creating something so much as preserving something.

Or are you going to tell us that casual abortion and homosexuality were just fine according to the Founding Fathers?

Quote:
Big government isn't owned by liberals or conservatives, and anyone who thinks that is a fool.
It is mostly advocated by liberals. Anyone who doesn't recognize that is a "fool."
Quote:
The stripping away of our rights is actually a bipartisan effort.
That's true, so I wonder why you're so thrilled with liberals and think they represent America as a whole when they don't and never have.

Last edited by dechatelet; 05-31-2015 at 01:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Nah, conservatives don't claim any "modern" Presidents as conservative. I pay a lot of attention to conservatives. The only one they claim is Ronald Reagan as conservative. The rest were all heretics in many ways.
If that's true -- which it isn't -- the exact same thing could be said of liberals, for whom most recent "liberal" presidents have been heretics -- e.g., Clinton (NAFTA, "the end of welfare as we know it," putting 100,000 new cops on the streets, signing the repeal of the Glass-Steagle Act which eliminated the wall between retail and investment banks and contributed to the Great Recession.)

But I see that such details will be of no interest to you, given that you are committed to the "many liberal presidents but only one conservative president" delusion.

Quote:
And once again, why do conservatives try to distort the nation's founders as modern Christian conservatives?
Almost all of the country was Christian, the Founders believed in God, and the country was certainly more conservative in its mores with respect to things like abortion and homosexuality than it is today.

But why let the obvious detain you when you find your fantasizing so much more fun?

Old 05-31-2015, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
"Big government" is such a nebulous term and it is totally meaningless when the Framers of the Constitution are trumped out to compare necessary role of a 19th century rural nation vs a highly industrialized nation of the 21st.

I suggest reading Alexander Hamilton's Report on Manufactures to see how at least one Framer of the Constitution correctly foresaw the role of government in an industrialized world.

REPORT ON MANUFACTURES
All you have to do is read the Constitution in order to recognize that a large intrusive government was not what the framers wanted.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:41 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,299,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fickbowt View Post
Cultural Marxism is a codeword for "I don't like Communists, Jews, Subversives and Homosexuals".

...I guess feminists are today's subversives.
Oh, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fickbowt View Post
nononsenseguy there's a website called StormFront where A LOT of people would agree with your views, and you'd probably feel very comfortable there. I hope that makes you question your path. Sorry bub, you're going to have to love everyone - regardless of who they are Jesus still died for their sins, just as yours. Don't disrespect his blood.
Thanks for the advice.

I realize Christ died for all; but, one must accept his sacrifice and believe, otherwise they are not saved. Further, he didn't die so that we may continue in sin. This very question has been addressed by Paul in his writings. One who is truly saved has been "born again." We are changed. Continuing in sin (such as homosexuality) is evidence that there has been no true conversion.

Love does not mean "tolerate." It does not mean we accept all unconditionally. Immorality and perversion are forgivable sins, but the sinner must cease.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Mmhmm. But what does all of those quotations from a false book have to do with G-d?

I have plenty of respect for Christians who don't try to force their beliefs down our collective throats. Don't believe in gay marriage? Don't have one.
Strange, I haven't seen this respect for Christians in any of your posts, including this one.

Many Jews do not consider it a "false book." The New Testament is a collection of writings by those Jews who knew and followed Christ, and were eyewitnesses to his death and resurrection, as foretold by the prophets. Are you denying that these men existed or are you denying the authenticity of what they witnessed and heard?

In our church in San Diego, there was a couple who were believing Jews. This is not uncommon. Here where we live in Ohio (and I'm sure many other places as well) there is a whole congregation of Jewish believers (Messianic Jews). The couple in our church in San Diego taught us much. They didn't just sit in the congregation. They were active in the ministry. I value that highly.Their insight into the prophesy of scripture, particularly as concerning Christ, was invaluable.

This is for your enjoyment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=i60rIMmPrq0

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 05-31-2015 at 05:47 AM..

Old 05-31-2015, 05:29 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
Anyone that considers the Clintons to be liberal is delusional. They are both subservient to the big money that made their careers possible. Their only saving grace is they have stayed bought.

We do not need more of the current Liberalism or Conservatism running this country. What we need is someone that can control the crony capitalists and monopolists destroying any semblance of a real market economy in this country.

FWIW - I was raised in a two person household that was probably more typical of the American family than most. My step father was a mean drunk and my mother a codependent. he considered me and my mother to be his slaves. I was not a happy child. I am beginning to realize I went to 'Nam with a case of PTSD. After I got back I though about killing the bastard but, upon realizing his life had been destroyed by booze and ego, I wished him a long and miserable existence.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Bible doesn't say women are inferior, but just gave men power over the household? Why did he do this? Surely, he would put the most qualified person in charge of the home. Since it's been, he's saying men are better in some way, no matter what.

And no, most women don't accept it. Or if they do, they've been told they have to or a god will get mad at them.

A marriage is a civil contract. If the contract is accessible to homosexuals, as it is in several states and countries are the world, it's legally held to be the same as any other marriage.

A moral wrong can't be a civil right. Give us a reason as to why it's a moral wrong. A good one that delves into moral philosophy. And by the way, this argument has been used to keep a lot of things from happening, like black people being considered people.
Oh, please. When have black people ever not been considered as "people?" By whom? You should read some of Lincoln's arguments against slavery. And please don't cite the 2/3's argument, because that argument had nothing to do with whether or not slaves were people.

Quote:
So, if what makes homosexual relationship wrong is their infertility, why is the infertility of a heterosexual relationship not also unnatural? Presumably you believe in a god, why did this God make them infertile if not to prevent them marriage, which exists for the purpose of procreation, as you claim?
Why do you misconstrue and misstate everything? You seem to have a reading comprehension problem. It's very hard, if not impossible, to argue with someone who cannot understand the written word and basic concepts.

Quote:
Marriage has a lot of purposes. Among them is financial security, which same sex couples have no way of obtaining without a right to marriage. Do gay people not deserve financial security?
Gee, I don't know of anyone who has gotten married for financial security. Interesting concept. Where did you find that one?

Quote:
I think the primary purpose is civil rights and financial security. That's what they've told me, and I would say they know more about it than you.

We aren't a Christian country, so we can betray Christian ethics. We don't stone adulterers, nor require mandatory charity. And I ask again what logic you are using to define homosexuality as immoral?
Were the Founders not Christian? Have you ever read any of their writings? George Washington? Which of the first colonies in America were not founded by Christians? Were the Pilgrims not Christians?

Stone adulterers? What has capital punishment got to do with anything? Mandatory charity?

By "what logic" is homosexuality immoral?

Okay, I'm out. This is the last of any of your posts I'm going to respond to on any thread. I cannot suffer asinine arguments and willful ignorance. You waste my time.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:48 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
If NO----guy was not so absurd and humorous I would consider his posts to be a waste of time. They actually are but they are an entertaining look into derangement.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:59 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,850,288 times
I don't often agree with much of what comes out of "The Hill", but this kind of rings true...

Mixing Christianity and politics is killing the church | TheHill

Old 05-31-2015, 06:20 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,883,872 times
Default The Point!

The US has always been based on Christian /Judo Values and principles. The Churches are growing even what the media says and Non Denominational Churches are taking hold.

Even though DOMA was reversed by the Supreme Court, the majority of people in this country believe One man and One women. The Idea of civil union are reserved for the Equal Protection Clause.(Peoples rights)
However which is not considered "Marriage"

Its the Minority that wants you to believe that these ideas are old and out of step.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies