Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 07:43 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Pertinent quote: "...the chapel is also registered as a for-profit business – not as a church or place of worship – and city officials said that means the owners must comply with a local nondiscrimination ordinance"

Time to choose between God and Mammon, looks like. Didn't someone say something about that?

Pertinent quote: "The amendment stated: “For the avoidance of doubt, nothing in this Act places an obligation on religious organisations to host civil partnerships if they do not wish to do so.”" And it's the Church of England. If you eat the Government's bread, you're expected to play by the Government's rules.

Their Bishopnesses are perfectly free to start a religious society without that pesky Parliamentary influence, but that would mean stepping off the gravy train, wouldn't it?

Ehm - that's a church suing against North Carolina's overreaching ban on same-sex marriage. They want to conduct same-sex marriages. It's the bigots meddling in the church's business, to make it clear.

Those weren't very good examples.
I agree on the first two, however, the third one, is a relevant stepping stone to closing the gap between Church and State. If the church wins the suit, other church's could argue that meddling in states business is an open door. That's why I included it. That and knowing that Billy Graham's home resides in that state, gave cause to find that one, most interesting out of the three.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 07:51 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,133 times
Angry Chapels for Profit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
I agree on the first two, however, the third one, is a relevant stepping stone to closing the gap between Church and State. If the church wins the suit, other church's could argue that meddling in states business is an open door. That's why I included it. That and knowing that Billy Graham's home resides in that state, gave cause to find that one, most interesting out of the three.
The Church does not have direct influence, and there is no Church of America, (Like the church of England) But the Followers of Christ have that discernment that helps our public officials make Good choices for the better good.

But we are a Nation of Christian Judo Nation like it of not.

However if a Chapel is running a Marriage business for Profit they should not be tax exempt. That is a business for those who want some sort of ceremony. ( Justice of the Peace). Instead of a Court House Marriage.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:55 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
The Church does not have direct influence, and there is no Church of America, (Like the church of England) But the Followers of Christ have that discernment that helps our public officials make Good choices for the better good.

However if a Chapel is running a Marriage business for Profit they should not be tax exempt. That is a business for those who want some sort of ceremony. ( Justice of the Peace). Instead of a Court House Marriage.
sigh...

You know what, I'm not gonna try and correct you. I'll just say this: if our nation is based on Christian values, than Christianity is among the worst things ever invented. Any set of values that teaches competition as being greater than kindness and that military action for selfish reasons is perfectly fine if you say you're doing it for freedom, then that set of values is cruel and evil and should be reject by anyone who has any sort of moral compass.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:59 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Yes, businesses have to follow anti-discrimination laws. If you have a problem it isn't with SSM it's with anti-discrimination laws. The chapel changed the classification of their business and no longer have to follow the anti-discrimination laws. And no one even ASKED them to provide services for a SSM, the business owners chose to sue the city after asking if they would be required to follow the law.
It did say in the article that they had turned down someone who called , inquiring as to a SS ceremony, and they said they wouldn't do it. But, your right, my problem is with , so called, anti discrimination law, as I have made it quite ain I don't have issue with SSM.

As I said, I don't think there should be any winners or losers here. Life can just go on, and everybody can quietly live as they see fit.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:

Some one is going to want their cake and eat it too.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:11 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
It did say in the article that they had turned down someone who called , inquiring as to a SS ceremony, and they said they wouldn't do it. But, your right, my problem is with , so called, anti discrimination law, as I have made it quite ain I don't have issue with SSM.

As I said, I don't think there should be any winners or losers here. Life can just go on, and everybody can quietly live as they see fit.
According to the city they have not received any complaints against the chapel, so if they were asked nothing came of it. And the city has told them that since they changed incorporation they no longer have to follow the law.

Last edited by jjrose; 06-01-2015 at 08:21 PM..

Old 06-01-2015, 08:29 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
sigh...

You know what, I'm not gonna try and correct you. I'll just say this: if our nation is based on Christian values, than Christianity is among the worst things ever invented. Any set of values that teaches competition as being greater than kindness and that military action for selfish reasons is perfectly fine if you say you're doing it for freedom, then that set of values is cruel and evil and should be reject by anyone who has any sort of moral compass.
Good I have made my point and you are pondering my points. Christian values , verses lawlessness really?

You truly do not know the Lord.

Even Gay People excise Christian values everyday. There you go a Moral Compass!

One Man One Women , Marriage, Spiritual Level
Civil Unions for peoples Rights and those who wish to be legally bounded to anther.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:30 PM

82 posts, read 272,877 times
I take a libertarian approach to the whole gay issue. I couldn't care less what consenting adults do behind closed doors, and could care even less if they get married. The government should have zero involvement in it. Most gays who want to marry seem to want it for insurance and tax reasons.

What needs to stop though are public schools openly preaching homosexuality to the students- Liberals want to flood public schools with liberal propaganda. Gays should be able to marry and live their lives, and I have an equal right to find the lifestyle disgusting- but I don't care what strangers do with consenting adults . Don't give the power to the government to legislate morality, as the government is not qualified- it is made up of liars and egomanaics

Old 06-01-2015, 08:33 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,282 times
Quote:
Good I have made my point and you are pondering my points. Christian values , verses lawlessness really?

You truly do not know the Lord.

Even Gay People excise Christian values everyday. There you go a Moral Compass!

One Man One Women , Marriage, Spiritual Level
Civil Unions for peoples Rights and those who wish to be legally bounded to anther.
I draw a line between Christian values, as in the values that come from the general teachings of Christ, and Euro-American values. They are not the same.

I've read the sermon on the mount, and quite like it. I find Jesus' message to be a very simple and elegant one. But American culture in no way emulates that. Some do, but the collective do not, and certainly our government doesn't.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
No we are not "crack pots" as you choose to call People of Faith, which you have not yet reached a understanding or a Relationship with God and Jesus. Its a sin on every level and is a downward immoral life style. But to be fair even the most devoted struggle with Sin everyday. Its how one handles awkward situations.

But when we speak of man's laws and the Constitution gays should enjoy some of the legal benefits of One Man and One Woman , Married.

Yes most Conservative do believe in self protection and out 2nd amendment rights. The Right of self defense, (Castle Law) Verses being Sheep and hoping a Police office will show up while you check your IPod and have your Latte.

We are Patriots and many have made the ultimate sacrifice in protection of Americans at home. You may not understand a Greater Good.

WE stand to our values and most will even politely ignore a Gay Couple showing affection in public. The Gay community makes its own choices and this is a big country there is plenty of room for all . Redefining relationships is not going to get you far.

This Country is still very much traditional and fair more Moderate / Conservative than one would think. Even with all the protesting and high paid lawyers to defend your beef.

I hope all states address the Civil Union Issue so we can put a end to all of this name calling. If you want civil rights and equal protection that great! If your cause is true put it to Ballet vote.
Good Luck with that.?

Marriage is still one Man and One Women, which its has been in recorded time.:th ink:
Quote:
If your cause is true put it to Ballet vote.
Pushing at an open door: When can personal stories change minds on gay rights? - The Washington Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies