Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 05:16 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnitegracie View Post
The State.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96QTR9Q4VrY The Life of Julia - rely on the government for every need.
I didn't finish the video. After about 3 and half minutes, it became clear this had nothing to do with the topic, and frankly, I already got that after the first 30 seconds, but I tried to give it the benefit of the doubt. But a not very funny satirist can only keep my attention for so long.

We've already discussed this though. Technically, the state can benefit from it. The question now is: is that actually even happening. I'm not so sure it is, nor do I think we're very far in the process if it has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 05:19 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,453,864 times
Quote:
You realize that study was completely debunked because the author made up the research, right?

An Author Of Paper About Changing Minds On Gay Marriage Seeks Retraction | ideastream
Classic.

Quote:
I am deeply embarrassed by this turn of events and apologize to the editors, reviewers, and readers of Science.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:30 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
You realize that study was completely debunked because the author made up the research, right?

An Author Of Paper About Changing Minds On Gay Marriage Seeks Retraction | ideastream
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrexDigit View Post
Classic.
Well, it certainly changed minds. You want it to be true as well?

Old 06-02-2015, 08:52 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:

Yes.
I saw it in passing through the Science mag recent topic publications. Remembered a post by GHOSTRIDER AZ where they had said something about putting civil rights and equal protection to a vote.

Found the article (one doesn't have to pay for one) and did a quick post. Later, saw the retraction.

Quote:
Update, 10 a.m Eastern, 5/22/15: LaCour sent us (and others) this message:
I will supply a definitive response (including a timeline of events) on or before May 29, 2015. I appreciate your patience, as I gather evidence and relevant information, since I only became aware of the allegations about my work on the evening of May 19, 2015, when the not peer-reviewed comments in “Irregularities in LaCour (2014),” were posted publicly online.
I must note, however, that despite what many have printed, Science has not published a retraction of my article with Professor Green. I sent a statement to Science Editor McNutt this evening, providing information as to why I stand by the findings in LaCour & Green (2014). I’ve requested that if Science editor McNutt publishes Professor’s Green’s retraction request, she publish my statement with it.
It would have been a good find, (provide voters response in that situation) if the data gathered had been validated.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:54 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Well, it certainly changed minds. You want it to be true as well?
It would have been nice and may have given us some insight. I was hasty and I apologize.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:30 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
IVF, surrogacy... No sex required.
Sounds fun, like a dental appointment.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:50 PM

366 posts, read 596,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
We've already discussed this though. Technically, the state can benefit from it. The question now is: is that actually even happening. I'm not so sure it is, nor do I think we're very far in the process if it has.
By diminishing the importance of the nuclear family, the incidence of children born out of wedlock (or if you prefer, "to single-parent households") goes up. Single parents are under especial pressure given the brutal labor market for all but specialized and skilled labor, which only benefits a small percentage of the population. It doesn't help that the economic elite overlaps with demographics that are less likely to have children out of wedlock. Given these conditions it logically follows that there is the creation of an underclass that is entirely reliant on government benefits. The cultural and political implications of this are not to be underestimated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies