Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 10:50 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Thank you. 100% correct.

Even worse is Sewell is ignoring that there are differences between southern black culture and blacks in other parts of the country.

Part of the problem is that it's largely subconscious thinking that drive this type of thinking.
It is largely subconscious thinking, but that thinking is largely based on the racist narrative.

People seem to believe that racist explanations for the state of America are going to be obvious and sound cartoonishly evil.

Like I hate n-words kinda racist rhetoric, but that's never been how debates about race are conducted.

No racist explanations for the state of America often " sounded rational" and "common sense" to a lot, a lot, a lot of Americans.

So you have posters and Americans in general that believe if an explanation makes sense or sounds good, it can't be racist, because racist explanations would be cartoonishly evil, but that viewpoint is not historically correct of how racist arguments are made.

Look, there has always been a debate in this nation about the condition and treatment of black Americans and 100% of the time the black Americans were blamed, not racism.

And the people in support of the racist status quo, didn't come out with I hate n-words for why they supported the racist status quo, no they had explanations they sounded rational to a lot of Americans, but which inevitably blamed the collective racial failings of the black race as the reason to support the racist status quo.

As a nation, we have never moved beyond this thinking, we fundamentally believe that "something is wrong within the black race", and that what is lacking within the black race is the real cause of huge across the board racial inequities that exist in America.

And Americans continue to make fundamentally racist arguments like black culture, black on black crime, etc, we continue with the idea that something is different and wrong within the black race that explains American social problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 12:13 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
on economic and racial issues involving black people, Republicans and conservatives usually quote Sowell as if his writings were from the Bible.

Now that he has turned the tables, people have a problem with it.
That's what cracks me up.

It's just proof that while white conservatives LOVE to talk about blacks being on some liberal "plantation," they've got a plantation system of their own. And their designated black talking heads had better stay on it.

It goes something like..."you can criticize and belittle other blacks all you want (to amuse us and buttress our anti-black sentiments), but watch your mouth when you talk about us (meaning white folks).

This thread made it clear as a bell...not that I didn't already know it beforehand.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:14 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Yes.

I always wondered why black people get the fried chicken stereotype. Everybody eats fried chicken. It is the culture of white southerners too.
I love chicken too... but not like these folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pyW6w5B7Aw

Old 05-31-2015, 01:40 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times
I always heard the fried chicken stereotype was a Southern Baptist thing.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:36 AM

72,977 posts, read 62,554,457 times
There is something I had to think about this morning. On another thread, I found a link leading me to the murder by causes. It is well known that half of all murders in the USA are Black men murdering other Black men. There is something else to consider. A large part of those murders are related to arguments. Going back to the 1800s in the USA, the murder rate in the Deep South was quite high. Considering that Blacks were enslaved and considered property, well, I don't think Blacks would have been counted in the crime statistics. The White murder rate was much higher than elsewhere in the USA. There was that "honor culture" that existed. This idea of "you disrespected me, now you must pay". Getting "slighted" often resulted in a violent reaction. This was among the underclass segment of the White population, also known as "redneck culture". Fast forward to now, where those in the "ghetto culture" often get mad over being "dissed". Redneck culture and ghetto culture are more similar than some would want to admit.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:38 AM

72,977 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I love chicken too... but not like these folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pyW6w5B7Aw
You realize this is Rochester, NY. If you know anything about that city, it is an example of "ghetto culture" taking hold among many of the residents. I live in the Atlanta area, where everyone eats fried chicken, Whites as well as Blacks. I've never seen anyone where I live get angry over fried chicken running out. At least in the areas where I've been. Maybe in rough areas perhaps.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:44 AM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
I must admit I've never met or known any "southern rednecks", however it would make sense that poor people, regardless of skin color, would have similar cultures.

After all, middle class whites have much more in common with middle class blacks than they do with poor whites.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:44 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,528,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
There are 8 pages of conservatives saying he is wrong on this subject, you are the exception, not the rule so how exactly can you say "you really cant get anything right " ????
You didn't qualify your statement did you? So you weren't right were you, and you have a long history of not being right. I'm not the only conservative that agrees with Sowell by a long chalk so get off your broad brush denigration.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:22 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I must admit I've never met or known any "southern rednecks", however it would make sense that poor people, regardless of skin color, would have similar cultures.

After all, middle class whites have much more in common with middle class blacks than they do with poor whites.
To be fair: it's more a "class" thing than a "money" thing. Some people who are "poor" ain't PWT or hood rats in how they do things, they try to be respectful. Other people who have some money def HAVE those bad attitudes.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:39 AM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times
I don't think what Sowell is saying is all that ground breaking. He's an academic and is used to pumping out a "scholarly " article to keep up his reputation. Recently a book was published and featured on NPR about black dialect being derivative of blacks proximity to poor whites in the south like Welsh and Irish indentured servants.
Many of the first white musicians to play ; Blues, Soul, R&B, Rap, and Jazz came from what was probably working class or lower class economic status. But leave it to Sowell to make it a black and white thing instead of a geographical or socio-economic pattern of behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies