Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 10:22 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times

Advertisements

I speak a dialect of something mostly So CA with some NYC. My natural accent however is a soft drawl and usage common to one who grew up in Louisville, KY.

If I spend a few days in a southern city I almost immediately pick up a little drawl and start using y'all.

I can control but not shifting to the drawl is the unnatural act. I can turn on the drawl but have to be careful or it comes through forced and phony. But in the presence of users it comes back quite natural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 10:24 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
I speak a dialect of something mostly So CA with some NYC. My natural accent however is a soft drawl and usage common to one who grew up in Louisville, KY.

If I spend a few days in a southern city I almost immediately pick up a little drawl and start using y'all.

I can control but not shifting to the drawl is the unnatural act. I can turn on the drawl but have to be careful or it comes through forced and phony. But in the presence of users it comes back quite natural.
Your "drawl" is likely faint to nonexistent to the ears of a native Southerner.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:26 PM

27,137 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Hillary speaks different accents, cultures, ethnicities, whatever she thinks it calls for to her advantage only.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Hillary speaks different accents, cultures, ethnicities, whatever she thinks it calls for to her advantage only.
So will Obama and any other pandering Democrat looking to whip up a couple of good ol' boy votes down South.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:28 PM

29,520 posts, read 19,616,477 times
Hillary Clinton would make a horrible POTUS.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Your "drawl" is likely faint to nonexistent to the ears of a native Southerner.
Actually not true. Any southerner who would hear me in full drawl would know I am not a Yankee. The Louisville accent is quite a pleasant one. And it was strong enough that I was nicknamed "reb" during my last year of high school on Long Island.

I tend to pick up the local dialect a bit anywhere. My youngest sister speaks Brit with a lot of NYC and some undertones of Louisville. I expect she would begin to drawl in a couple of days in the south.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Actually not true. Any southerner who would hear me in full drawl would know I am not a Yankee. The Louisville accent is quite a pleasant one. And it was strong enough that I was nicknamed "reb" during my last year of high school on Long Island.

I tend to pick up the local dialect a bit anywhere. My youngest sister speaks Brit with a lot of NYC and some undertones of Louisville. I expect she would begin to drawl in a couple of days in the south.
Come to any rural Southern area. I bet your accent would fit in as well as Hillary's. Remember - Louisville is the absolute border of the most liberal definition of the South. Many Southerners don't consider Louisville Southern at all. Whether or not the accent is "pleasant" is immaterial to whether it is Southern or not.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Come to any rural Southern area. I bet your accent would fit in as well as Hillary's. Remember - Louisville is the absolute border of the most liberal definition of the South. Many Southerners don't consider Louisville Southern at all. Whether or not the accent is "pleasant" is immaterial to whether it is Southern or not.
I suspect you know little of Louisville. It has at least three distinct accents and you know who they are as soon as they open their mouth. Now that was when I was there but I expect it held through the years. And one of those accents is strongly southern. Not Alabama. But southern.

And I also suspect it is not a southern city...but that is a different subject.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:26 PM

27,137 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Picking something up after living there for a time is quite different from picking it up just before the speech..........and then it's gone.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:05 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,641,002 times
It must be embarrassing to stoop so low as to attempt to defend the indefensable..
Those of you who continue to defend that horrible woman and tell us they too slip into an accent when around others who have an accent, really mean to say that their heads are so far up killary's backside that they can't speak at all..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies