Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the USA switch to the Metric System?
Yes 23 26.44%
No 62 71.26%
Unsure 2 2.30%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 01:08 PM

493 posts, read 385,928 times

Advertisements

Chafee: Go bold, go metric - CNNPolitics.com

May God give him strength and power and let's once it for all convert to the Metric system like 99% of the world and get rid of the archaic U.S./Imperial system that does not make any sense in the 21st Century no matter if people are not "used" to it but will in short amount of time because it it so simply based on multiple of 10. Include degrees Fahrenheit switch as well!

Benefits of switching over to the metric system like Canada and Australia did in the 1970s when America was suppose to do the same would outweigh the cost of replacing new signs. With globalization, not using the metric system costs us plenty of money for converting into nonsense "body" language units! Hawaii has a proposed bill that would be the first state switching over to the Metric system by next few years' as well, hopefully it will pass as it makes economic sense!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 01:12 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,906,515 times
We tried this in the 70's -- It didn't work.

The Australians converted in 6 days however - and short of a couple of accidents with trucks and low bridges, it worked out rather well for them.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:13 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,861,848 times
I understand why we use the metric system... I also understand why we use the English system... Diversity is good except maybe when it comes to car parts... I like my inches rather than centimeters... I like my gallons instead of liters.... A gallon of gas is much more cost effective than a liter of gas, think about that...

Old 06-04-2015, 01:17 PM

45,420 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX City visiting View Post
Chafee: Go bold, go metric - CNNPolitics.com

May God give him strength and power and let's once it for all convert to the Metric system like 99% of the world and get rid of the archaic U.S./Imperial system that does not make any sense in the 21st Century no matter if people are not "used" to it but will in short amount of time because it it so simply based on multiple of 10. Include degrees Fahrenheit switch as well!

Benefits of switching over to the metric system like Canada and Australia did in the 1970s when America was suppose to do the same would outweigh the cost of replacing new signs. With globalization, not using the metric system costs us plenty of money for converting into nonsense "body" language units! Hawaii had a proposed bill that would be the first state switching over to the Metric system by next few years' as well
You do realize that most US industry has been doing metric for decades, right?

The Fahrenheit temperature scale is actually better because it's more precise.

Of course, if the reason is because "the rest of the world" does it then I guess when your best friend jumps off a bridge you will, too.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:17 PM

493 posts, read 385,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I understand why we use the metric system... I also understand why we use the English system... Diversity is good except maybe when it comes to car parts... I like my inches rather than centimeters... I like my gallons instead of liters.... A gallon of gas is much more cost effective than a liter of gas, think about that...
The main important thing is using metric units on road signs; products could still include both units like they currently do, as well as car parts. You're used to gallons, that's why you don't like liters. 60 - 80 cents gas/Liter sounds better and cheaper than $3 - 4/gallon.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:18 PM

45,420 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX City visiting View Post
The main important thing is using metric units on road signs; products could still include both units like they currently do, as well as car parts.
Is that like the importance of amber brake lights?

Old 06-04-2015, 01:21 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
I've used it for years at work so it would be no big deal but as noted above, we've been saying we were going to convert since the 70's.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:22 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,096,953 times
That'd be great, though I'm not optimistic that he's gonna win the nomination. Hillary's realistically gonna get it. But we really should be using the metric system. It's a much more sensible system. I mean, really, inches are divided into 1/16, there are 12 inches in a foot, 3 feet in a yard, and 1760 yards in a mile. What an absurd system that is, and that's just units of distance.

Metrics are in segments of 10 which is far easier to learn. People who think metrics is harder only feel this way because they still think in terms of the Imperial system. And indeed, converting feet to meters can be a pain, but if we don't need measure in feet, it won't matter.

By the way: there are three counties that don't use the metric system. The US obviously, and then Liberia and Myanmar. Gonna guess that many of you don't even know where those two countries are on the map, but I assure you, that's doesn't make us look great. Every other country uses the metric system or is in the process of fully implementing it. We should catch up. It's absurd that we haven't yet.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:29 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,584,434 times
It's a perfect issue for a democrat candidate, pointless, useless, a waste of time and money, but an issue they can get behind.

Pretty much the same system we have for language these days: "for English press 1".

I for one don't care what the rest of the world does, we are a soverign nation and can choose our own path instead of slavishly following the rest of the herd.

I was forced to take metrics in school, many years later and having lived all over the world where it's used, it's still a dumb system as most places where it's the "official" system still uses the system the people want.
You still hear stones and miles in England for example.

What the government likes and wants usually has no bearing on what the citizens find best and easiest to use.

Let Chaffee run for president from his home in Canada. Queen Hillary needs strawmen to make it appear she wasn't annointed for the democrat nomination while avoiding questions and interviews that all the other candidates have to answer.

What a pathetic situation we have as our modern "culture", just as Orwell wrote about in 1984, it has now come to pass.
Don't say anything of substance, don't do anything that will improve anything, just do what Big Brother tells you to.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:33 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,588,653 times
I'm glad to see a candidate finally getting down to the most critical issues....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies