Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2008, 02:18 PM

8,064 posts, read 17,947,681 times

Advertisements

I'm only a second-generation American, 3 of my 4 grandparents were born in Europe. Only my paternal grandmother's family has been here for hundreds of years. I was raised in a very European manner -- strict discipline, strong Protestant work ethic, and very different values regarding material goods. My parents were satisfied with a modest home that served our needs, were energy-conscious and thrifty, and they were not big consumers looking to impress. I thought it was because they were working with limited finances, but when they passed away, I found out they had a lot of money squirreled away. It was just their values and lifestyle.

When I first began to visit Europe, I discovered that I felt more comfortable there. I never realized how European my upbringing was and how much the traditions and values I hold dear are actually Western European. Two of my grandparents were from Prague and, oh my, what a beautiful city that is! My other ancestors are from England and research has shown that they were quite successful there. How I wish I could return to either of those homelands!

If my parents were still alive and saw what has become of America, I'll bet my father would be investigating a return to Europe. America seems to have lost its sense and gained too much arrogance. I don't feel comfortable here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 08:48 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,456,870 times
Arrow Another interesting perspective....

..from the World forum section. From/posted by: FunkyMonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Wow, this thread really hit home for me right now and I read through every post with great interest.

I am an American, 27 years old, born and raised in the San Francisco Bay Area, currently living in San Diego, California. I managed to graduate from college a month ago, and I now have many, many more options open from myself than I ever did before, I guess i've finally "made it" into the white collar world after years of enormous uphill battles and challenges.

But yes, I hate to say it, I feel that the U.S. is going down the tubes. Maybe the War in Iraq is what did it? Globalization? Other changes in the world? Whatever it is, America's status as a super-power is diminishing quickly along with our economy. The dollar is very weak, other countries are uniting against us. In the global race for power, leadership and control, American is falling behind and other countries are coming up fast. This is starting to effect Americans as individuals more and more, our jobs, as well as our quality of life and hopes of saving money.

The jobs in the U.S. don't pay well right now and the benefits and perks aren't too impressive, and with the VERY HIGH cost of living that is spreading from coast to coast, how am I supposed to ever own land, retire and be happy by working and living in America? I think my future in America is one of living paycheck to paycheck and even going into debt. Or making enormous sacrifices in the hopes of saving just a little money.

I can deal with the ignorance of America. The over-consumption, the strange religous climate, the materialism, the arrogance, the aggression and dominance, the alienation. All of these things i've learned to take in stride as a born and raised American.

But there are some things i've been through in the past few years that are just unnacceptable and dehumanizing. Like not being able to make rent even though working full-time, living in my car during my entire last semester at the University just so I could graduate.

Parking my car outside the luxerious, huge houses of rich people to try to sleep in the backseat, even though i'm a student and a "productive member of society", I wasn't even accepted to get a welfare check, and the college money I recieved went straight to tuition and other necessarry expenses until I couldn't afford the deposits and rent necessarry to move into a place. Had to save the rest just to have food money for the next few months.

And when the cops come to make me "move along" I say, "Where the am I supposed to move to? I've got school in the morning tommorrow right down the street there. Now leave me alone, i'm doing what I have to do." Eventually I made my home in the forest in a tent, but I STILL got a 3.1 GPA that semester

Or having a huge cavity in my tooth and can't afford to fix it properly, so I go to Tijuana, Mexico to see a dentist, then they give me a bad filling that falls out. Or other health care issues, like when I broke my hand and had to go to some scummy, free clinic to get a cast, or else get stuck with a couple thousand dollar bill. I also waited to see the doctor for a few days with a broken hand, because I didn't have any money to spare.

Is THIS what life is like in the wealthiest nation on Earth? I'm definantly not enjoying this wealth too much, except maybe for the good infrastructure. Beyond that it's just a very expensive place, with lousy political leadership, with people who are obcessively money driven because you NEED to be that way to make it in America.

No, no, no,....... This is where I draw the line in the sand and say enough is enough. Right now I can afford to "make it" in America, but i've seen the dark underbelly of this nation. After seeing what i've seen, and doing what i've done, it's VERY hard to just want to live a typical American life of money of shallow consumption.

I have a good opportunity to move to South Korea, where I can live incredibly cheap and make good money, probobly save a lot. It is a HUGE move, an American going to South Korea.... but I think it is time to do it. I know that South Korea might not be the greatest country either in many ways, but I feel it in my heart that America is no place for me. For the past 5 years i've been seeing a huge decline in the quality of life for myself and others. And I do not see it reversing in a good direction, quite the opposite.

Just like my great-grandpa immigrated to America from the Europe in search of a better life, I will now move to Asia, in search of a better life. America is a great place. But the world has plenty of great places.

The prospects for any working-class person like myself in America are very, very bad. Even for a college graduate. It makes more sense to break into other economies that are on the rise and coming up in the world. And being an American does seem to be like some sort of status symbol that carries clout in some other nations, allowing for more opportunity. We are GLOBALIZED in 2008. Forget about being tied down to countries and borders, just go all over the world if your life will allow the option. Why not? The world is all so connected these days. The idea of claiming full allegiance to a country and just staying thee for your whole life is becoming less of a necessity. It's not "My Country", it's "My World".

America reminds me of the Soviet Union in it's final stages. The Soviets continued to masquerade as if they were powerful and in control of the world, even though people were beginning to starve and go homeless everywhere. The signs of it's impending doom began to show and the people could see it on the streets, in spite of the political rhetoric. Then eventually, it all fell down. Are we seeing the same thing begin to happen here? I hope not, cause then our enemies will swoop on us like vultures.

The world's history is full of fallen empires. America is an empire.....

Goodbye America, it was fun. Maybe i'll come back when I save a couple hundred thousand dollars, then I can be a "real American".
Interesting perspective, indeed!

Old 01-26-2008, 08:58 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,139,168 times
I am considering Thailand. Low cost of living. Perhaps 50% of the population speaks english to some degree. Modern and the people are beyond friendly. My wife is Thai and I speak some thai. But best of all its never cold. Heat never bothered me and the beaches are awsome. Great food. Good medical care is available. Down fall is that they drive on the wrong side of the road.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:26 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,792,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I am considering Thailand. Low cost of living. Perhaps 50% of the population speaks english to some degree. Modern and the people are beyond friendly. My wife is Thai and I speak some thai. But best of all its never cold. Heat never bothered me and the beaches are awsome. Great food. Good medical care is available. Down fall is that they drive on the wrong side of the road.
You'll get used to it,Australia,NZ an dthe UK do too.

Quite interesting that democracy has returned to Thailand.

Be aware of the Muslim terrorism in the south,quite a few people murdered there.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:05 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,647,589 times
I would consider it if we had a dem controlled congress and President. They will turn us into another freak show with their terrible values.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:08 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,139,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
You'll get used to it,Australia,NZ an dthe UK do too.

Quite interesting that democracy has returned to Thailand.

Be aware of the Muslim terrorism in the south,quite a few people murdered there.
True about the south land. Up north is nice my wifes family is big into rubber. So I guess I have a job when I want it. I am good at fixing machines. LOL I proved my worth last time we visited.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:11 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,185,630 times
tinman, not so cheap now. The USD dropped by over 30% and costs have risen by 20%. Still - I'll probably see you there in a few years.

Might I suggest the book Thai for Beginners by Benjawan Poomsan Becker. Easy way to learn. Has easy to follow CDs to go with it.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:50 PM

83 posts, read 381,757 times
I hear more and more people discussing moving out of this country, most as a result of the last 10-15 years of our goverment mismanaging anything they touch. I know a guy that worked for me that just told me he is leaving to work in the Phillipines to teach...he said the American dollar is a big concern for him and it's going to get worse.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:56 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,506,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Just wondering if anyone seriously considered moving out of the U.S.?

If so, for what reasons and how would you go about it?

I honestly thought about it from a few factors in my life.
Here goes: from living in Detroit as a youngster and spending alot of time as a teen/young adult in Windsor, Ont., it's hard to believe the differences in the two areas being 'just right across the river'. It really is a microcosm of the differences of the two countries via history, politics and social strata. (ect..) Sometimes, as a teen, young adult, i would feel something 'ain't right' with the U.S.

Another thing is how we're programmed consumers in the U.S. is really disturbing. Take, for instance ,the art of bartering. Most U.S. consumers walk into a store willingly pay for what the price says on most consumer goods. Having lived in Phoenix with a high Mexican/hispanic population coupled with visiting the border town of Nogales, Mexico. I got to see that side of the coin. The art of bartering is lost among many ("mainstream") Americans. It is if though the U.S. (consumer) is one big mass of sheep.

Another reason is the healthcare in the U.S. (that needs no explaning other than the fact that it is fundementally flawed..in a nutshell)

I would like to hear your stories and reasons if you did move out, thought about it or in the process of doing it.

B.G.F.
I don't even want to leave town, much less the country of my birth. If I had my way, no one would EVER move from the place they were born.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:18 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,185,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't even want to leave town, much less the country of my birth. If I had my way, no one would EVER move from the place they were born.
Good thing the world is not your way. Why would you want to deprive others of experiences outside of their birth areas?

I'm way too inquisitive and interested in others to be happy stagnating with nothing new to experience. The world is so vast and there is so much to learn that travel excites me like nothing else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies