Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 08:01 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times

Advertisements

considered & did, never again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 08:06 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
considered & did, never again.
How was it different than what you expected?

Old 01-20-2008, 08:09 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Some posters menton that those who are planning to depart are giving up instead of staying to fix things.
Many would like to see things fixed, but they are not enough in numbers.
I have started threads recently regarding similar views: about problems and one entitled "God Bless all Dictatorships and Third World Countries".
Before any problems can be fixed the first hurdle is to acknowledge that problems exist. This is the hard part because the majority believes everything is fine and wonderful. Trying to tell them about problems is like talking to a rock.
One thing that is missing in America is quality of life. That's a theme which finds little interest. (also a thread I started months ago). Americans have (or make) little time for quality of life. People view everything in financial terms, especially taxes. People talk about money, but does anyone talk about quality of life? Very seldom.
In some European countries the taxes are higher than in the US, but if higher taxes mean a higher quality of life, I'm for it.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:24 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Guys, all of Mexico is not like the dirty border towns and the little dusty villages in Western movies. There are lots of beautiful cosmopolitan areas once you get further into the country. There are plenty of people living in the cities that have more cash than you do if you are a "middle class" American. You would not attract too much notice... and there are a lot of gringo communities where the Americans live together somewhat separately in gated communities.
Absolutely, I could move to a resort area, but then I may as while just stay in the USA because they are so americanized, and everything there is so expensive.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:27 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Just wondering if anyone seriously considered moving out of the U.S.?

If so, for what reasons and how would you go about it?

I honestly thought about it from a few factors in my life.
Here goes: from living in Detroit as a youngster and spending alot of time as a teen/young adult in Windsor, Ont., it's hard to believe the differences in the two areas being 'just right across the river'. It really is a microcosm of the differences of the two countries via history, politics and social strata. (ect..) Sometimes, as a teen, young adult, i would feel something 'ain't right' with the U.S.

Another thing is how we're programmed consumers in the U.S. is really disturbing. Take, for instance ,the art of bartering. Most U.S. consumers walk into a store willingly pay for what the price says on most consumer goods. Having lived in Phoenix with a high Mexican/hispanic population coupled with visiting the border town of Nogales, Mexico. I got to see that side of the coin. The art of bartering is lost among many ("mainstream") Americans. It is if though the U.S. (consumer) is one big mass of sheep.

Another reason is the healthcare in the U.S. (that needs no explaning other than the fact that it is fundementally flawed..in a nutshell)

I would like to hear your stories and reasons if you did move out, thought about it or in the process of doing it.

B.G.F.
Umm. Comparing Detroit to Windsor and drawing a conclusion that it is the same thing as comparing the USA to Canada is kind of unfair. For god's sake, you went from Barter Town to a place that doesn't have a murder rate similar to Bogota's. Hardly the same thing.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,750 times
Default que?

I agree with the idea about staying and fighting for what is right and changing things. It is WE THE PEOPLE, but we the people have forgotten that..due to the people in our govt. it is now WE THE CORPORATIONS AND WE THE PEOPLE need to change and vote out the persons in Govt. that take money from the Corp. If things keep going the way they are, I will have to move to a Spanish speaking country, in order to have a good life in my old age.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:28 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,893 times
Default Sorry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Umm. Comparing Detroit to Windsor and drawing a conclusion that it is the same thing as comparing the USA to Canada is kind of unfair. For god's sake, you went from Barter Town to a place that doesn't have a murder rate similar to Bogota's. Hardly the same thing.
..for not getting the gist of what i was trying to convey. I understand this is the internet and one has to spell it out from point A to point B so it doesn't get misconstrued or misinterpreted. But i'm feelin' a bit lazy and this is a rather bright group of people here on C-D.

A rather strange metaphor to run with : think of the U.S./Michigan/Detroit as a kettle with the pressure point/valve being around Detroit and the steam/molecules of water gets released into/around Windsor/Ontario/Canada.

Again, my apologies.

So?! Have you ever thought about moving out of the U.S. for one reason or another? Political or otherwise?

Old 01-21-2008, 06:33 AM

Thumbs up Good post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Consider the possibility that the "someplace else" to "start fresh" might be within the human experience, rather than a change of geographic real estate: what I mean is, the possibility of conquering disease, environmental problems, war, violence, even tribal and religious conflicts. Maybe Americans will turn to seeking and hopefully finding better ways to live...
...well put!

Old 01-21-2008, 06:37 AM

Thumbs up Another good point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
One thing that is missing in America is quality of life. That's a theme which finds little interest. (also a thread I started months ago). Americans have (or make) little time for quality of life. People view everything in financial terms, especially taxes. People talk about money, but does anyone talk about quality of life? Very seldom.
...well said!

Old 01-21-2008, 06:39 AM

365 posts, read 699,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Just wondering if anyone seriously considered moving out of the U.S.?

If so, for what reasons and how would you go about it?

I honestly thought about it from a few factors in my life.
Here goes: from living in Detroit as a youngster and spending alot of time as a teen/young adult in Windsor, Ont., it's hard to believe the differences in the two areas being 'just right across the river'. It really is a microcosm of the differences of the two countries via history, politics and social strata. (ect..) Sometimes, as a teen, young adult, i would feel something 'ain't right' with the U.S.

Another thing is how we're programmed consumers in the U.S. is really disturbing. Take, for instance ,the art of bartering. Most U.S. consumers walk into a store willingly pay for what the price says on most consumer goods. Having lived in Phoenix with a high Mexican/hispanic population coupled with visiting the border town of Nogales, Mexico. I got to see that side of the coin. The art of bartering is lost among many ("mainstream") Americans. It is if though the U.S. (consumer) is one big mass of sheep.

Another reason is the healthcare in the U.S. (that needs no explaning other than the fact that it is fundementally flawed..in a nutshell)

I would like to hear your stories and reasons if you did move out, thought about it or in the process of doing it.

B.G.F.
I never thought of living anywhere else, and after I had to once for a while, I was glad I didnt have to ever think of doing it again... if I had been born in another place it would not have bothered me, but life here is better than any other country in the world....never doubt that, no matter how bad it gets....it will always be the most sought after life and country there is....I truly believe that....

in Spain, we went days and days w/out water.... we had to bathe at the military base, my daughter was less than a year old, after she wasnt nursing anymore, and there was no water, it was hard to feed her, had to go to the base after work to do formulas and such for liquid nutrition... in Spain, when something broke, they didnt hurry to fix it, but that was their custom... you can take the memories home with you, but when youre born here, I think its hard to ever really leave it for good... especially if you are already grown up...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies