Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 10:45 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,529,071 times

Advertisements

So the union goons were all out marching and waving their signs and stomping their feet and slandering the opposition so the could get the new minimum wage instituted by the idiotic city government in Los Angeles. Now that they've got it they want an exception for union employers.

Now Union Opposes the Minimum Wage - Bloomberg View

There's no hell hot enough for this scum.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:53 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
So the union goons were all out marching and waving their signs and stomping their feet and slandering the opposition so the could get the new minimum wage instituted by the idiotic city government in Los Angeles. Now that they've got it they want an exception for union employers.

I though unions were for the working man....

Old 05-29-2015, 10:59 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Well, his point is that collective bargaining agreements are a fair substitute for minimum wage laws. This is true in other countries too.

I believe that American owned and operated small businesses with American employees should be exempt from minimum wage laws. We should only be going after the nationless corporations that undermine our economic output and abuse employees in other countries. If they want access to the largest consumer group on the planet, and all the benefits that come with that, they better be prepared to pay Americans a fair wage and cut a little into their record breaking after record breaking profits.

If not, we can kindly show them the door. No more help from Uncle Sam and our mighty military in your ventures around the globe. No more writing legislation and no more favors from politicians. No more looking the other way by our media. These parasitic nationless corporations and banks would be bankrupt in a matter of weeks.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:04 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Unions were able to exist and use blackmail and intimidation to get their members wages well above the minimum wage. That brought them new members-even with money taken from them in the form of union dues, they still might have more money in their pockets at the end of the week. Now, with a minimum wage of $15 per hour, there is far less reason to join a union in the first place.

Even union goons should have been smart enough to foresee this happening.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:04 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:

You will note that the article you link to says that this union is coming under fire from both the left and the right.

Rightly so.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:47 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
i say tough. the unions wanted a $!5 an hour minimum wage, and now they have it, along with all the consequences that go with that level of minimum wage. who knows, perhaps it will be a success, and the liberals who pined for such a wage will be vindicated, and have the ammunition they need to get it instituted at the federal level.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
You will note that the article you link to says that this union is coming under fire from both the left and the right.

Rightly so.
You deny that unions are leftist? The fact that there are rifts in leftist world is not unusual. You've got the idiots and then you've got the morons, and then you've got the completely brain dead.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:04 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
You deny that unions are leftist? The fact that there are rifts in leftist world is not unusual. You've got the idiots and then you've got the morons, and then you've got the completely brain dead.
You called all leftists hypocrites because *one* union is asking for an exemption from the minimum wage. Since lefties, including me, are among those calling out this union, it is apparent that not all lefties are hypocrites. QED.

I didn't address the question of whether all unions are leftist. I don't know. What I do know is that quite a few conservative workers belong to unions.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:33 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I though unions were for the working man....
Unions are a business exactly like any other business. The idea of brotherhood and fraternity? Hahaha!

Never forget that and you will be ok.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
What I do know is that quite a few conservative workers belong to unions.
Usually not if they have any other option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies