Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 10:19 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,513,185 times

Advertisements

You really cannot make this stuff up. How corrupt can you possibly get? And how corrupt do these union people believe the Democratic City Council leaders are that they approached to ask for this special treatment from?

Kudos to those Los Angeles Democratic City Council members who apparently told these union thugs to go screw themselves.

Quote:
Unions demand exemption from LA minimum wage law they pushed

Union leaders in Los Angeles are being accused of hypocrisy after being caught trying to exempt themselves from a new minimum wage law they tried to impose on others. For months, organized labor went after companies like McDonalds and Walmart, shaming any business that paid the old minimum wage.

Carrying signs saying, "We see greed" and "We are worth more," union members marched outside businesses and appeared at City Council meetings demanding Los Angeles raise the minimum wage from $9 to $15 by 2020.

Yet after pushing through the new wage law, union officials are asking for a waiver that would allow any company that unionizes to avoid paying the minimum wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 10:50 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
You really cannot make this stuff up. How corrupt can you possibly get? And how corrupt do these union people believe the Democratic City Council leaders are that they approached to ask for this special treatment from?

Kudos to those Los Angeles Democratic City Council members who apparently told these union thugs to go screw themselves.
Yeah, I couldn't believe that one!! OH, WAIT! Hold the phone batman! YES, I could!!

Old 05-29-2015, 11:03 PM

29,799 posts, read 24,880,628 times
I did a google search. FOX is the only one talking about this, along with the usual circus of right wing sources that cite FOX news. In circumstances like this, I take the information with a large grain of salt. FOX news lies all the time. I don't mean telling half truths. I mean, telling blatant lies and spreading misinformation. As a former viewer, I can't stand FOX news any longer.

Old 05-30-2015, 12:10 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I did a google search. FOX is the only one talking about this, along with the usual circus of right wing sources that cite FOX news. In circumstances like this, I take the information with a large grain of salt. FOX news lies all the time. I don't mean telling half truths. I mean, telling blatant lies and spreading misinformation. As a former viewer, I can't stand FOX news any longer.
Does the LA Times also lie ?
L.A. labor leaders seek minimum wage exemption for firms with union workers - LA Times

Does the LA Daily News also lie ?
Los Angeles’ minimum wage law moving forward without union exemption

Does Fortune also lie ?
https://fortune.com/2015/05/27/la-minimum-wage-unions/

There are more websites that I could have included but the 3 above should suffice.

I think your google is broke

Old 05-30-2015, 01:08 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
Yeah, I couldn't believe that one!! OH, WAIT! Hold the phone batman! YES, I could!!

It`s a brilliantly sleazy move on the part of the unions because union labor would then be made cheaper than non-union labor.

Employers would be happy to bring in unions if it reduces their labor cost.

Of course non-unions jobs would then become far fewer in number.

The employers would get cheap labor and the unions get a strangle hold on ****ty jobs.

The only loser is the employee who now has to pay union dues for the same ****ty job he or she had before.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:16 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times
Why would anyone be surprised? They supported the ACA too and then demanded exemption....

Old 05-30-2015, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Does the LA Times also lie ?
L.A. labor leaders seek minimum wage exemption for firms with union workers - LA Times

Does the LA Daily News also lie ?
Los Angeles’ minimum wage law moving forward without union exemption

Does Fortune also lie ?
https://fortune.com/2015/05/27/la-minimum-wage-unions/

There are more websites that I could have included but the 3 above should suffice.

I think your google is broke
Ok. All I saw were quotes like this...

“With a collective bargaining agreement, a business owner and the employees negotiate an agreement that works for them both,” Rusty Hicks, head of the Los Angeles County Federation of Labor, said in a statement. “This provision gives the parties the option, the freedom, to negotiate that agreement. And that is a good thing.”

Who are those so called "labor leaders", and what is it they explicitly want?

Small businesses are exempt for an additional year on top of when this takes effect if, I'm not mistaken. Shouldn't unionized small businesses be included in that exception?

Old 05-30-2015, 01:42 AM

109 posts, read 74,538 times
Quote:

Small businesses are exempt for an additional year on top of when this takes effect if, I'm not mistaken. Shouldn't unionized small businesses be included in that exception?
That's kind of irrelevant since there aren't even going to be any more small businesses after this takes effect. Unless you expect them all to operate at a loss.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micla0 View Post
That's kind of irrelevant since there aren't even going to be any more small businesses after this takes effect. Unless you expect them all to operate at a loss.
They will have one year after the fact to figure out how to pay $15/hr MW. So technically, there will be no small businesses one year after this takes effect. Though I doubt that will be the final outcome. Many low value jobs will be lost however. Others will become higher value jobs. The free market will decide, and the free market does not vote Repuke or dumbycrap.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:07 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Rusty Hicks, head of the Los Angeles County Federation of Labor, said in a statement. “This provision gives the parties the option, the freedom, to negotiate that agreement. And that is a good thing.”
And they seek to strip the individuals freedom to do the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies