Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 09:01 AM

1,666 posts, read 1,012,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Everyone goes through the same metal detector.

TSA routinely confiscates guns, knives and the occasional machete or sword from people who intend to fly.

Passengers may carry on mace/ pepper spray. Anyone can bring on hand weights within their carry on.
Good post. God knows what one could hide behind pants, a coat, a t-shirt, shoes, etc... According to his logic we should all just show up for flights naked. (but then who knows what we could be hiding *in* ourselves )

Old 06-01-2015, 09:04 AM

39,007 posts, read 27,392,311 times
I am pretty sure that this is a very uncomfortable experience for this lady, I am also positive that the flight attendant's weapon comment is unnecessary. But I think people should cut this FA some slack. This is not a hate crime of any sort. Just a tired, rushed, annoyed, cranky service person said something she should never have said.

That being said, The Muslim woman wanted a whole can of soda and she wanted it unopened, two things the flight attendant was taught not to do. Then this Muslim lady tried to make a blanket policy about racism and Islamophobia.

United Airlines is taking the matter seriously and doing their best to kiss her ass afterward. And, you guessed it, her social media supporters are calling for a boycott of the airline.

Better training of the flight attendant is all the airline had to do and give the Muslim lady some cash settlement (less than 2000 dollars because she cannot prove any damages besides hurt feelings)

Stay truthful and reasonable. Boycotting the airline? Why? calling the flight attendant all these names, why?

Old 06-01-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
That poster said Christians don't blow up planes.

Muslims did not build gas chambers to destroy 6 million Jews. The holocaust was carried out by Christians.

There's a fine blurred line between religion and political ideology throughout time.

Religion has been used to recruit and motivate the masses since forever.
well, those Hijackers in the September 11 attacks are not Muslims, they are nutcases who hijacked Muslim religion, how's that?

So is it possible for you to accept the fact that holocaust was carried out by nutcases who hijacked the Christian belief and religion?

Stay fair.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:22 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,520,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Not true at all.

Even if it is true, why is it relevant for this particular discussion?
Again.... Fine line between religion and political ideology going back to ancient times.

What better way to recruit and motivate ignorant masses than to convince them they are the chosen people , on God's team and make it clear they are empowered to destroy others?

Old 06-01-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Again.... Fine line between religion and political ideology going back to ancient times.

What better way to recruit and motivate ignorant masses than to convince them they are the chosen people , on God's team and make it clear they are empowered to destroy others?
You are really not a fair person based on the last two posts you made. I think arguing with you is waste of time.

If people want to believe the flight attendant committed a hate crime, more power to you. But I think she was just a cranky, tired, rushed service person who said what she should have never said.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:28 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,821,854 times
If the bed industry had a history of killing innocent people all over the world in the name of their company, yes, I probably would check under my bed.

If beds were currently exploding themselves in crowds full of people, or flying beds into buildings full of innocent people, yes, I'd check under my bed.

Traditional Muslim beliefs are in direct conflict with western values. So I'd be equally as skeptical if a bed showed up at an insomniac convention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple8s View Post
Well obviously the flight attendant didn't think the man getting the beer would use his tab as a weapon, but clearly thought the woman would.

She was wearing a hijab - she didn't have her face covered as you claim. I guess the hijab was enough for the flight attendant to see her as a threat. Do you look under your bed before you get in it??

Old 06-01-2015, 09:35 AM

39,808 posts, read 26,344,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I am pretty sure this is a very uncomfortable experience for this lady. But I think we should put emotion aside and try to be as unbiased as possible.

She said,

""I am in tears of humiliation from discrimination," she wrote. "The flight attendant asked me what I would like to drink and I requested a can of Diet Coke. She brought me a can that was open so I requested an unopened can due to hygienic reasons. She said no one has consumed from the drink, but I requested an unopened can. She responded, 'Well I'm sorry I just can't give you an unopened can so no Diet Coke for you.' She then brought the man sitting next to me a can of UNOPENED beer. So I asked her again why she refused to give me an UNOPENED can of Diet Coke. She said, 'We are unauthorized to give unopened cans to people because they may use it as a WEAPON on the plane.' "

Yes, the flight attendant could have handled the situation a little bit better, The weapon comment is entirely unnecessary. If I were the flight attendant, I would not give her an unopened can either, but I would make sure I keep my mouth shut to avoid a lawsuit. Unless they have changed their policy, and if I remember this correctly, everybody gets their free drinks poured from an open can on the airplane.

But, I think people should just be happy that they always receive free drink poured from an open can just like everybody else. The beer is paid item that's why they get the whole can.
What it came down to was a particularly whiny, spoiled person looking for any opportunity to play the victim card. If the airline's policy is to only supply opened cans, deal with it. Or go elsewhere. Were there non-Muslims on the plane that were given full, unopened cans of free soda?

Old 06-01-2015, 09:41 AM

2,686 posts, read 1,761,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
The last time I was forced to fly commercially, I asked for a full can of coke and was denied. The beer was bought and paid for on the spot. The woman needs to park her outraged.
That seems to be a point that is being missed here. The airline uses one can of soda for two requests of soda because the plastic cup is smaller than the can of soda. A beer is a standard size. You don't split a beer, you either give a full 12 oz or pint. The beer like you said is paid for while the soda is either free or included in the fare. I think that this incident may have the effect of airlines buying 2 liter bottles so that they don't have to deal with this nonsense.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
That seems to be a point that is being missed here. The airline uses one can of soda for two requests of soda because the plastic cup is smaller than the can of soda. A beer is a standard size. You don't split a beer, you either give a full 12 oz or pint. The beer like you said is paid for while the soda is either free or included in the price. I think that this incident may have the effect of airlines buying 2 liter bottles so that they don't have to deal with this nonsense.
Exactly

Old 06-01-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
What it came down to was a particularly whiny, spoiled person looking for any opportunity to play the victim card. If the airline's policy is to only supply opened cans, deal with it. Or go elsewhere. Were there non-Muslims on the plane that were given full, unopened cans of free soda?
yeah, Soda is usually given in a small plastic cup and not usually a full can given. Beer is paid item, so normally they get the whole can.

but it is a big no no to give unopened can to first class passengers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies