Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2015, 01:10 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Oh, I'm one of the libbiest libs that ever libbed, but Elon Musk is the sort of capitalist that I can respect. He uses his money to do stuff and build stuff, not taking over the world with leveraged buyouts and strategic defaults.

I honestly can't say I am up enough on SolarCity to offer much of an opinion.

I think I disagree there. No reason to not harness the power of the market where it's useful. If we accept the premise that we need space launch capacity, let's get some people competing for it to drive the price down.

There's nothing costly about SpaceX, they're slashing prices.

Hope springs eternal, but I do not share your optimism here.
He can have all the great intentions with the wisest ideas he wants but in the end he's still a capitalist. Not that there's anything wrong with that but he will be compelled to play along like everyone else and he will start to do the same things other more openly brazen capitalist do.

Did you know that musk is demanding exemptions from California?

California may waive environmental rules for Tesla battery factory - LA Times

He wants to be exempt from CEQA, enacted by Reagan while he was governor. Jeez!

The Oregonian broke the story that through a third party SolarCity took to prison labor to build their solar panels. The state hired two solar companies; solar world and SolarCity to spearhead a solar array project. The two firms were expected to buy and hire locally in order to goose the regional economy and create high-paying area jobs. What happened? SolarWorld couldn't cut it and so Musk's Solar City took over and created the jobs---in prison for .93 cents an hour!

SpaceX I applaud for bringing ULA to its knees but its outcome is still in the air and its finances shrouded in secrecy.

Whenever I debate my fellow progressives about corporate welfare we see eye to eye when it comes to GOP backed welfare but when it comes to Musk's companies the ends always justify the means.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:40 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Then the argument they need subsidies and mandates is completely bogus.
That isn't the argument. The DOE program is to speed commercial growth of these technologies because they produce beneficial results. The program has clearly been an outstanding success.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
That isn't the argument. The DOE program is to speed commercial growth of these technologies because they produce beneficial results. The program has clearly been an outstanding success.
Can you explain their success? SpaceX's profitability is still under wraps.

The one successful thing I can think if is that it pushed the market for EVs. But then again the DoE also supplied the funds to Nissan and they came out with the Leaf. It's selling better.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:04 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Plainly stated: all failing businesses should be allowed to fail on their own merits.
YES !!!!!!!!

Government should NEVER subsidize businesses or products. That is not a valid function of government.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Get to the point. The issue are Musk's companies worth it? .
No, that's not the point. The point is that Government should never subsidize any business.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Well it is the rich who have the means to use their own money to start an electric car company, solar company, and space company to reap the subsidies.
That's wonderful. So let them do it with their own money. Not taxpayer money.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:27 PM

Roadking that's being too purist. Most advanced nations invest in and take stake in many many joint ventures with private business. That's how richer nations pay for their sovereign welfare while we play cat and mouse trying to tax rich people.

The US is unique in actually offering low interest loans to companies with no strings attached. No stock options! You may not like that, I don't. But can you at least agree that if the DoE would've been a little more demanding with Tesla they could've paid off the dud that was Solyndra?

If the US govt wants to play venture capitalist like the big boys it should demand what all the big players demand in compensation.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:38 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Roadking that's being too purist. Most advanced nations invest in and take stake in many many joint ventures with private business. That's how richer nations pay for their sovereign welfare while we play cat and mouse trying to tax rich people.
They expect something in return. We only expect votes.

Quote:
The US is unique in actually offering low interest loans to companies with no strings attached. No stock options! You may not like that, I don't. But can you at least agree that if the DoE would've been a little more demanding with Tesla they could've paid off the dud that was Solyndra?

If the US govt wants to play venture capitalist like the big boys it should demand what all the big players demand in compensation.
Leaders in other countries seem to have at least some of the best interest of the country at heart. Here they only care about what is best for their party.

That's why we can't have nice things.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:42 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:

The US is unique in actually offering low interest loans to companies with no strings attached
. No stock options! You may not like that, I don't. But can you at least agree that if the DoE would've been a little more demanding with Tesla they could've paid off the dud that was Solyndra?

would you loan money to a stranger with no strings attatched? More realistically and worse yet, would you give your money to a stranger,to loan to another stranger?

Old 06-02-2015, 05:48 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
would you loan money to a stranger with no strings attatched? More realistically and worse yet, would you give your money to a stranger,to loan to another stranger?
It's not the money of the one loaning it. Of course no one else would do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies