Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2015, 02:11 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Bulldawg I agree with you mostly. The right wingers in here tend to be slightly hypocritical in their disdain of Solyndra and Tesla, when they're actually cheaper investments than the corporate welfare queens in the defense industry. Somehow they have nothing to say about Lockheed but a liberal green company with Obamas seal of approval gets all the ire.
The military should be brought home and the overseas bases closed.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:12 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
People used to think that the microwave was this new-age thingy that started fire and poison food.

And this thing called the computer... just a glorified calculator that doubles as a video game.

Well, in all fairness we have to realize many of them are still getting over the shock of learning that the newfangled gizmo those Wright boys were playing with may actually have some practical applications after all.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:15 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
I can agree with what you say. It is something that is rather unique to the USA. It seems that our government gives money to private companies with no strings attached. There is good and bad to that. Good in that the government then doesn't dictate to private companies and turns it into a state-controlled company. The bad - well, often it is just a bad investment and if it is, the tax payer gets no return on that investment. Your points are certainly not lost on me.
That's not unique. Heard of a company called Vestas?

Started out as a blacksmith in a Danish hamlet you've never heard of and now sits on 35% of the world's wind turbine market. Because the Danish government decided that perhaps this wind energy thing was better than having to ask "How high?" every time OPEC says "Jump!". And so they essentially provided massive tax benefits to people building, installing and running wind turbines. Most attempts were rather pathetic fiascos. But Vestas emerged a winner and have a string of firsts in that industry. And the initial lost tax revenue has been amply repaid, too.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:15 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Well, someone didn't. Established US companies are better at buying legislators to defend their niche better than they are at innovating. Listen to their porcine squeals of outrage when Tesla suggests that perhaps the dealer model is a bit on the old-fashioned side...
Tesla is very adapt at buying off legislators. As far as their business model goes they should be able.to run the company as they see fit. Unfortunately when you ask the government to fund you there comes strings attached.

Quote:
Detroit hates the idea of having to come up with new technology when they can keep building the same-old and tell the American consumer that it's what they really want.
I wish him well but if he is going to use my money, I want a cut.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:19 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,406,437 times
Quote:
That's not unique. Heard of a company called Vestas?

Started out as a blacksmith in a Danish hamlet you've never heard of and now sits on 35% of the world's wind turbine market. Because the Danish government decided that perhaps this wind energy thing was better than having to ask "How high?" every time OPEC says "Jump!". And so they essentially provided massive tax benefits to people building, installing and running wind turbines. Most attempts were rather pathetic fiascos. But Vestas emerged a winner and have a string of firsts in that industry. And the initial lost tax revenue has been amply repaid, too.
I didn't know Vestas story! It is a good one! Those of us within the electronics/computing/technology fields are salivating at the many potential applications possible with Mr. Musk's new battery. Or should I say - "our new battery"!

Old 06-01-2015, 02:20 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Tesla is very adapt at buying off legislators. As far as their business model goes they should be able.to run the company as they see fit. Unfortunately when you ask the government to fund you there comes strings attached.
Texas state government funded Tesla, now? They're the latest to surrender to the car dealership lobby...

Old 06-01-2015, 02:21 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,003,408 times
Quote:
Well, someone didn't. Established US companies are better at buying legislators to defend their niche better than they are at innovating. Listen to their porcine squeals of outrage when Tesla suggests that perhaps the dealer model is a bit on the old-fashioned side...

Detroit hates the idea of having to come up with new technology when they can keep building the same-old and tell the American consumer that it's what they really want.
I don't at all disagree but Detroit aren't the only manufacturers. BMW and Mercedes will swoop and take over the market that Tesla opened the door to. They'll probably create, sell and engineer better models. No one talks about the other investment the DOE made to Nissan which spawned the leaf, currently the most popular EV outselling the Model S.

I don't care how much of an underdog story Tesla motors is, it's not sound. It did what it was supposed to do and make the EV more appealing for auto makers to sink their teeth into.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:27 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,406,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I don't at all disagree but Detroit aren't the only manufacturers. BMW and Mercedes will swoop and take over the market that Tesla opened the door to. They'll probably create, sell and engineer better models. No one talks about the other investment the DOE made to Nissan which spawned the leaf, currently the most popular EV outselling the Model S.

I don't care how much of an underdog story Tesla motors is, it's not sound.
Tesla doesn't need to be super sound (it certainly could have been better) and it doesn't even have to endure - but, it needs to open up the way for itself and others to do something better and different. That, alone, is a worthy investment. Companies left to their own invest almost nothing until they see someone have success with it. Once that success - even though it may be a limited success - will be built upon and then the rewards come.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:31 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,113,448 times
Quote:
>

Vs....its not right for the government to risk taxpayers money either way.
Lolz.... Take a look around you.... Where'd telecommunications be without government subsidies? Aviation? Medicine? Transportation? Seriously..... You live in a different reality....

Quote:
Someone could have developed a battery for a hell of a lot less in taxpayer money than Musk has been handed.
Based on what?

Old 06-01-2015, 02:33 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,113,448 times
Quote:
The military should be brought home and the overseas bases closed.
Well when you start speaking more about the vast waste in the military industrial complex then your other complaints will be taken more seriously. We are undergoing the biggest military boondoggle in history so refocus your priorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.