Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 12:16 PM

110 posts, read 123,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Really. 20 years. Not 40 years or 60 years...but 20 years.

Lol...you folks want your great grandparent's America...but that America sucked big time.

LOL - we want our children to have a better life than we had, and this nation is NOT headed in that direction. But you keep thinking that "progress" is the only way forward and lets see what you are thinking when you are an old fogey like me. Your arrogance belies your youth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 12:47 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnitegracie View Post
LOL - we want our children to have a better life than we had, and this nation is NOT headed in that direction. But you keep thinking that "progress" is the only way forward and lets see what you are thinking when you are an old fogey like me. Your arrogance belies your youth!
I'm a middle aged African American male...I'm not a kid. I've seen plenty.

We're living in the best time in human history.

I'll take THIS America and THIS world...you can have the misery of yesteryear and put cake frosting on it.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:54 PM

206 posts, read 215,477 times
Quote:
I love how some posters belittle "old people" as some sort of idiots who are incapable of independent thought and discernment. The reason older people argue that "modern society" has devolved into the prophetic reality of the movie Idiocracy (and if you haven't seen it, you should!), is based on LIFE EXPERIENCE and having had the advantage of an education that taught students HOW to think for themselves using logic and discernment. People under 30 had been taught what to think by public schools and have been taught the politically correct versions of American and World history.

There is nothing "cute" about the death of a culture where people were valued over materiality. Where once this society existed as a meritocracy and success was valued and viewed as something to emulate, not denigrate and despise.

Shame has been replaced with arrogance. Judgment has been replaced with group think. Individuality has been replaced with collectivism. Admiration of the successful has been replaced by envy and blame. Tenacity and initiative has been replaced by victimhood and rationalization.

Nah, this is NOT the best time in this nation's history...this is the downhill slope of a once shining city on a hill.
I agree with you too. Us older ones are the ones who have been watching this happen. We're fairly intelligent people and we see what has been happening for some time now. It used to be that people were taught to respect those who are older, because we have gone on before them, and we have the wisdom and knowledge of our years. We see the evidence in front of us.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:02 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,600,418 times
Quote:
For someone with children who are black, female, gay, etc., claiming that our kids were better off in the old days sounds astonishingly ignorant.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:06 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish437 View Post
I agree with you too. Us older ones are the ones who have been watching this happen. We're fairly intelligent people and we see what has been happening for some time now. It used to be that people were taught to respect those who are older, because we have gone on before them, and we have the wisdom and knowledge of our years. We see the evidence in front of us.
Maybe it just YOU that the young people don't respect.

I don't have that problem from the youth.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:26 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times
Quote:
I love how some posters belittle "old people" as some sort of idiots who are incapable of independent thought and discernment. The reason older people argue that "modern society" has devolved into the prophetic reality of the movie Idiocracy (and if you haven't seen it, you should!), is based on LIFE EXPERIENCE and having had the advantage of an education that taught students HOW to think for themselves using logic and discernment. People under 30 had been taught what to think by public schools and have been taught the politically correct versions of American and World history.

There is nothing "cute" about the death of a culture where people were valued over materiality. Where once this society existed as a meritocracy and success was valued and viewed as something to emulate, not denigrate and despise.

Shame has been replaced with arrogance. Judgment has been replaced with group think. Individuality has been replaced with collectivism. Admiration of the successful has been replaced by envy and blame. Tenacity and initiative has been replaced by victimhood and rationalization.

Nah, this is NOT the best time in this nation's history...this is the downhill slope of a once shining city on a hill.
Well, I have to say that from some of the posts on this thread "old people" do, indeed, come across as idiots.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:30 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish437 View Post
Being old does not equal being wise. Seriously!

Old 06-03-2015, 02:40 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Being old does not equal being wise. Seriously!
No, but it hardly akin to ignorance and irrelevance.

I wish I knew at 21 what I know now.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Well, I have to say that from some of the posts on this thread "old people" do, indeed, come across as idiots.
Well, that was rude.

Last edited by Tish437; 06-03-2015 at 03:02 PM..

Old 06-03-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
No, but it hardly akin to ignorance and irrelevance.

I wish I knew at 21 what I know now.
I've often said that I wish I had my youth back with the wisdom I have now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies