Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 10:19 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,548 posts, read 16,528,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Now, they're fighting FOR the reinstatement of it.

Have you people ANY standards?
This is another fallacy, the president is in favor of continuing the Patriot Act, but senators like Sanders and Wyden have always been against it and have never changed.

people are individuals and you seem to not be able to understand that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 11:21 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Aren't you the one that wants the state to imprison people and take their money and assets for the crime of possessing a plant?

I have spoke out against the Patriot Act from day one, but unlike most on here I am consistent in my views.
As am I.

Heroin and cocaine comes from a plant, too. I am for the Patriot Act. What makes life miserable for some is okay with me. My cell phone is rarely used since there is very little cell phone coverage where I live.

So I don't get teary eyed over the possibility that someone may here me say "the current idiot infesting the White House".

Old 06-01-2015, 11:32 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
I know both liberals and conservatives who are against it for the same reasons. Invasion of privacy has a way of going over party politics as it is a very personal issue.

I am a moderate and am not fully in support of the Patriot Act and have never been.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:42 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:

It passed the Senate 98-1.
It passed the House 357-66

They Nays were almost all dems.

In general though, many that have flip flopped positions only objected to oppose the other parties president and thus garner constituent support....or to join with the same parties president (now).

Which brings us full circle to all the republicans that went from Yeas to Nays for the exact same reason.

They had no problem with it when it was Bush in office but now it's time to stop Obama! lmao.

You've got a huge blind-spot for your own parties hypocrisy.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:55 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:

Like hell they did!
A decade ago, liberals and conservatives alike acted in a moment of societal panic. They both had the same exact standards! Everyone wanted to be safe from the threat of getting on an airplane and end up getting flown into a building instead of transferring to another flight in Cleveland.

Don't try to paint a different picture, because none existed. The easiest and fastest was to make us all feel better was to throw a big protective blanket over everything. You were just as anxious as any other common person was, and don't try to deny it.

And don't try to claim the liberals don't want to dismantle the huge over-reactive abridgment of our liberties and freedoms as much as the conservatives, either.

The Patriot Act must go. We need protection, but we do not need such encroachment into our personal lives to achieve it. All the Patriot Act really did was to turn us into a nation of cowards momentarily. We are not cowards, and we will risk the damages that may come from killing off the Patriot Act for good and all.

It has become a greater threat to our nation than the terrorists can ever be. Liberals and conservatives alike see this equally.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:55 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It passed the Senate 98-1.
It passed the House 357-66

They Nays were almost all dems.

In general though, many that have flip flopped positions only objected to oppose the other parties president and thus garner constituent support....or to join with the same parties president (now).

Which brings us full circle to all the republicans that went from Yeas to Nays for the exact same reason.

They had no problem with it when it was Bush in office but now it's time to stop Obama! lmao.

You've got a huge blind-spot for your own parties hypocrisy.

The Republicans didn't stop the Patriot Act. At least in the Senate an extension would have easily passed. Obama said he supported what the House passed.

Patriot Act light. Rand Paul stopped it (for now).

Old 06-01-2015, 12:39 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,432,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
So you support Rand Paul?
well on this issue, he is right. Though I don't know where we will end.

I see no reason for the patriot act to continue. The reasons provided are those born out of fear and threats, not reality.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:43 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,432,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
As am I.

Heroin and cocaine comes from a plant, too. I am for the Patriot Act. What makes life miserable for some is okay with me. My cell phone is rarely used since there is very little cell phone coverage where I live.

So I don't get teary eyed over the possibility that someone may here me say "the current idiot infesting the White House".

^^^^^
Look at this.

There are those who's only requirement to dimish liberty and remove freedoms and privacy is the self-centered observation that they don't use the said liberty much. . .

Guess what dude, I don't own a gun. So . . lets just remove that liberty as well.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:02 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
^^^^^
Look at this.

There are those who's only requirement to dimish liberty and remove freedoms and privacy is the self-centered observation that they don't use the said liberty much. . .

Guess what dude, I don't own a gun. So . . lets just remove that liberty as well.
I also don't own one. I have no plans to get one either. But yeah, I'll defend the right for others to do so.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:25 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
^^^^^
Look at this.

Well said; It's frightening how myopic people can be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies