Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2015, 09:19 AM

13,307 posts, read 7,864,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Yeah she came to the interview like that and otherwise would have gotten the job.

That is because of the job duties. If it was say an HVAC you couldn't wear ahijab because it could get caught in the units. At a Hooters they cannot because dressing scantily clad is a part of the job description. A hair model would need to show their hair. Show me anywhere where it says Abercrombie & Fitch employees NEED to have their hair out in the open. That is the difference, and the rain for "they do not but you do," there needs to be a reason for that to be essential to the duties of the job. Think of it this way, the fire department isn't hiring a wheelchair bound person for truck duty but they could for dispatch work because the BFQs of being on an engine that don't exist on the dispatch position.
We live in a culture of images and appearances designed to sell PRODUCT.

Doesn't Ambercrombie have a scarf department?

Scarf it up, man.

Scarf it up.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:24 AM

571 posts, read 790,604 times
What are "anti-scarfers" looking for here, by the way? Freedom of religious expression is literally as American as it gets! In a good way.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:27 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,684,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan39126 View Post
What are "anti-scarfers" looking for here, by the way? Freedom of religious expression is literally as American as it gets! In a good way.

Same argument as always. "When you're on the clock, your employer owns you, mind, body and soul. Don't like it, find a new job." Same tired BS.

That or they are simply just bigots or nuts. "See, see, this is where it all begins, Sharia law in America."

Old 06-04-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
To many, corporations are religions.

Branding, man, it's all about branding.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:36 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,684,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Absolutely. I'm not going to feel bad for them when someone starts a boycott.

A boycott might actually improve their sales numbers. Considering that A&F has been drowing and losing money left and right, I don't see what they have to worry about. Their former CEO pretty much destroyed them with his own comments.

Quote:
The loafers had stopped working. Sales at established stores had fallen in five of the past seven years, and 2014 wasn’t looking good, either. Profits were expected to be about $106 million, less than half of what they had been in 2012. Jeffries’s pay had been cut by about 70 percent, he had lost his position as chairman of the board, and his employment contract was expiring in February 2015.

Its the year 2015 and Abercrombie, at least until recently, was still operating with the 1960's-jock-kicking-sand-in-the-face-of-the-nerds philosophy. Being a bit more inclusive, a bit less snobby might actually end up working out to their advantage. The old business model sure wasn't working anymore.

Quote:
But sensibilities have since evolved; casual prejudice is not as readily tolerated. Today’s teens are no longer interested in “the elite, cool-kid thing” to the extent that they once were, says Gordon, the Michigan professor. “This generation is about inclusiveness and valuing diversity. It’s about not looking down on people.” And with the help of social media, for the first time critics have succeeded in putting Abercrombie on the defensive. .
Why Abercrombie Is Losing Its Shirt -- The Cut

Quote:
The attitude—conformist, sexy, exclusive—hadn’t evolved much, either. But teens have. They are shopping at fast-fashion chains such as Forever 21 and H&M, which are dirt cheap. Jeffries didn’t think A&F should discount. He wouldn’t sell clothes bigger than women’s size 10 until about a year ago.

Considering how badly they've been struggling, I doubt the company cares very much that some old farts on the internet are upset at the possibility that Muslims wear hijab's might end up employed in their stores.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:41 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I was deleted for saying this on this topic.. I will post again. I was in Sears saw a middle eastern woman in a head scarf. I was not offended and I am a Christian.
How is offense relative or about the topic?

Old 06-04-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Yeah to countries that allow headscarf or religious facial jewelry and don't have companies that say "you can't have that head covering."
Its allowed here also.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
It has nothing to do with a scarf.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:45 AM

Maybe she could have worn a wig over the hijab.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
A boycott might actually improve their sales numbers. Considering that A&F has been drowing and losing money left and right, I don't see what they have to worry about. Their former CEO pretty much destroyed them with his own comments.
A/F profits or lack of profits are none of my concern.

Quote:
Considering how badly they've been struggling, I doubt the company cares very much that some old farts on the internet are upset at the possibility that Muslims wear hijab's might end up employed in their stores.
It's not about Muslims but rather the role of the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies