Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 10:30 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times

Advertisements

Check out which countries have the best and worst school lunches!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqJLS0qdNX4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 10:31 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Give it a rest already. There was nothing wrong with school lunches before Michelle Obama got involved.
Partisan hackery at its finest.

You really believe that reheated junk food-- with little nutritional value-- provided by SODHEXHO is a better school lunch than nutritious meals that are locally sourced?

There's very good evidence to suggest that nutrition is predictor of school achievement and performance as well as good/bad behavior.

How the right wing can justify being against nutritious school lunches because they don't like Mrs. Obama is beyond me. Before you start screaming "Nanny state" or other such nonsense, realize that every parent is free to malnurioiush their kids with a lunch provided from home if that is their choice.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:33 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Right. It's the veritable land of milk and honey. That's why people are clamoring at the gates to move into such a bastion of well being. Free health care for children exists precisely because of the intense poverty level. It's not inverse.
No one said it was Utopia. If the cost of living is low, does a lower income mean as much or not?

Old 06-03-2015, 10:37 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
....and you will NOT eat what we say you cannot eat. Why do we have so many people who just have to tell other people how to live their lives and how to raise their children? Why do people think the idiots in government are smarter than the rest of us even after decades of failure?
-----------------------
WILLIAMSON, W.V. – Students and parents are rallying to the defense of a teacher who is accused of violating federal school snack rules.

The Williamson PreK-8 teacher, who was not identified, would give her students “wrapped candy” as a reward for their hard work and good behavior.

Because the practice was an alleged violation of the federal rules championed by first lady Michelle Obama, Mingo County Schools Director of Child Nutrition Kay Maynard “placed a call to officials at the West Virginia Department of Education (WVDE) to report the incident,” the Williamson Daily News reports.

Maynard also spoke to Williamson PreK-8 principal Shannon Blackburn, telling him about the possibility of a monetary fine for the teacher.

When news spread, parents and student mobilized, collecting pennies to pay the potential fine on the teacher’s behalf.

WV teacher threatened with fine for violating Michelle O’s school snack rules - EAGnews.org
I call BS on this thread and your link. The actual news report stated:
Quote:
The West Virginia Board of Education Policy states that food cannot be used as a reward and it cannot be withheld as a punishment. Policy also sets standards for School Nutrition, food and drink offered to students at school must meet certain guidelines.
RWNJs and their web links will look for any excuse to bash the Obamas.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:39 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post

You really believe that reheated junk food-- with little nutritional value-- provided by SODHEXHO is a better school lunch than nutritious meals that are locally sourced?

There's very good evidence to suggest that nutrition is predictor of school achievement and performance as well as good/bad behavior.

How the right wing can justify being against nutritious school lunches because they don't like Mrs. Obama is beyond me. Before you start screaming "Nanny state" or other such nonsense, realize that every parent is free to malnurioiush their kids with a lunch provided from home if that is their choice.

This post summarizes this entire manufactured issue by the right-wing!

Old 06-03-2015, 10:45 AM

19,757 posts, read 22,661,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No one said it was Utopia. If the cost of living is low, does a lower income mean as much or not?
Income at or below poverty levels does mean a lot- a hell of a lot. It wasn't 'dirt cheap' when I lived in the Eastern Panhandle nor was it cheap in North Central Clarksburg/Bridgeport. $350 got you a slum in Clarksburg, if lucky. Gas is more expensive than neighboring states, groceries as high as anywhere else and frankly clothing and other staple costs are no cheaper than anywhere else either.

So if you think reduced housing expense is the only factor to compare against wages to support a claim that WV is 'not impoverished' - you are factually incorrect.

Not sure why you want to argue that WV is not a 'poverty stricken state'. At this juncture I'm not inclined to illustrate any further in light of the preponderance of evidence to the contrary.

Maybe a trip to Mingo, McDowell or Logan counties should be in your vacation plans.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:51 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Income at or below poverty levels does mean a lot- a hell of a lot. It wasn't 'dirt cheap' when I lived in the Eastern Panhandle nor was it cheap in North Central Clarksburg/Bridgeport. $350 got you a slum in Clarksburg, if lucky. Gas is more expensive than neighboring states, groceries as high as anywhere else and frankly clothing and other staple costs are no cheaper than anywhere else either.
The eastern panhandle is inflated because of its proximity to D.C. those that don't want to live in Virginia move to the eastern pan handle.

$350 a month in Clarksburg probably isn't going to get you much but can you get anything in NY for $350 a month?

I live on the border and gas is pretty much exactly the same as across the river.

Quote:
So if you think reduced housing expense is the only factor to compare against wages to support a claim that WV is 'not impoverished' - you are factually incorrect.
You didnt answer my question.

Quote:
Not sure why you want to argue that WV is not a 'poverty stricken state'. At this juncture I'm not inclined to illustrate any further in light of the preponderance of evidence to the contrary.

Maybe a trip to Mingo, McDowell or Logan counties should be in your vacation plans.
Be honest....you aren't inclined at this point to answer my question .

Old 06-03-2015, 11:08 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
....and you will NOT eat what we say you cannot eat. Why do we have so many people who just have to tell other people how to live their lives and how to raise their children? Why do people think the idiots in government are smarter than the rest of us even after decades of failure?
-----------------------
WILLIAMSON, W.V. – Students and parents are rallying to the defense of a teacher who is accused of violating federal school snack rules.

The Williamson PreK-8 teacher, who was not identified, would give her students “wrapped candy” as a reward for their hard work and good behavior.

Because the practice was an alleged violation of the federal rules championed by first lady Michelle Obama, Mingo County Schools Director of Child Nutrition Kay Maynard “placed a call to officials at the West Virginia Department of Education (WVDE) to report the incident,” the Williamson Daily News reports.

Maynard also spoke to Williamson PreK-8 principal Shannon Blackburn, telling him about the possibility of a monetary fine for the teacher.

When news spread, parents and student mobilized, collecting pennies to pay the potential fine on the teacher’s behalf.

WV teacher threatened with fine for violating Michelle O’s school snack rules - EAGnews.org
What in the hell is wrong with Progressive/Insane/Leftist Extremists? What is your damn problem, people?

There are BIGGER ISSUES in our public schools than if some teacher gave the kids a piece of fricken candy.

GD this kind of **** pisses me off.

Instead of focusing on the REAL problems in our schools, we have a bunch of busy bodies aholes trying to dictate the dumbest, tiniest, none of their damn business "issues" in our schools.

It's a good thing that we are not allowed to truly say what we want to say because I would rip some extremist liberal backside up one side and down the other right now were I allowed.

KNOCK IT OFF! Mind your own ******* business!

Old 06-03-2015, 11:26 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post

It wasn't reheated junk food. School cafeterias actually had cooks who made lunch at the school everyday.

Now you have multinationals that deliver plastic trays that get reheated in the microwave.

LOL at the predictor for school behavior. Food is NOT a predictor of school behavior. How you are brought up the first 5 years of your life by your parents is a predictor of behavior.

Eating broccoli has not turned bad kids into good kids.....

Old 06-03-2015, 11:27 AM

19,757 posts, read 22,661,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
What in the hell is wrong with Progressive/Insane/Leftist Extremists? What is your damn problem, people?

There are BIGGER ISSUES in our public schools than if some teacher gave the kids a piece of fricken candy.

GD this kind of **** pisses me off.

Instead of focusing on the REAL problems in our schools, we have a bunch of busy bodies aholes trying to dictate the dumbest, tiniest, none of their damn business "issues" in our schools.

It's a good thing that we are not allowed to truly say what we want to say because I would rip some extremist liberal backside up one side and down the other right now were I allowed.

KNOCK IT OFF! Mind your own ******* business!
Talk to the WV school system. Not sure why you are so mad at everyone when it is a state policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies