Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 08:51 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times

Advertisements

Not outside an elective. I don't have a problem with it being discussed in some type of elective civil rights class but for the most part schools should focus on reading, math, and science.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:53 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snallygaster View Post
Should pubic schools promote gay rights to students? Should teachers state to their students as a point of fact being gay is natural, gays should marry, and people who disagree are homophobic? They do in my district, in fact the rainbow flag flies alongside the American and state flag in front of the local high school. What happens if a student feels homosexuality is immoral and says so- should they be punished? Shouldn't schools stay far away from these controversial social issues? At what point does it become indoctrination? Personally I think promoting homosexuality has no place in school.

Absolutely! As long as they promote heterosexuality, they should also promote homosexuality. If they promote monogamy which they do, they should also promote polygamy.

No I am not joking!

Old 06-02-2015, 08:55 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,848,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snallygaster View Post
What happens if a student feels homosexuality is immoral and says so-
So we're assuming the student isn't so bright?

Old 06-02-2015, 08:56 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,404,313 times
Hell no. How nauseating.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:59 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Gay marriage is a fact (and has been for over a decade). Homosexuality is a fact. These should be taught, just like you learn about other religions in world history and world geography classes. My Jewish beliefs aren't threatened by learning about Hinduism or Christianity, even though neither would be acceptable in my life based on my beliefs. The same is true of gay marriage and homosexuality.

Evolution was taught in my high school in the rural South. Students (and their parents) did not hesitate to let our biology teacher know they did not believe in evolution. Should they have been allowed to opt-out of that as well? Nope.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:11 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,848,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Gay marriage is a fact (and has been for over a decade). Homosexuality is a fact. These should be taught, just like you learn about other religions in world history and world geography classes. My Jewish beliefs aren't threatened by learning about Hinduism or Christianity, even though neither would be acceptable in my life based on my beliefs. The same is true of gay marriage and homosexuality.

Evolution was taught in my high school in the rural South. Students (and their parents) did not hesitate to let our biology teacher know they did not believe in evolution. Should they have been allowed to opt-out of that as well? Nope.
Excellent post, thanks!

Old 06-02-2015, 09:11 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,078,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Promoting acceptance of homosexuality in the schools is entirely appropriate. We have to correct the misconceptions many children learn from their ignorant and bigoted parents. We do they same about race and religion. It's a shame to have to spend school time with this. It would be better for them to learn tolerance at home, but it is obviously necessary.
Good grief, NO!!!!! Schools should ONLY teach basic subjects necessary to understand math, reading, sciences, history (both US and World), comprehension, the English language...properly...get rid of this "like/like/like" and other abominations of slaughtering the English language and only English in the classrooms, foreign languages in older grades, and all those basics. Schools must stay out of religion, politics, social issues and absolutely stay out of "parenting" issues such as sexuality of any kind...that's a home/parent issue...NOT schools.

Our America is sliding toward immorality and 3rd-world country existence; i.e., ignorance of what life is all about, ignorance of responsibility for one's self, ignorance of gaining pride in one's self through accomplishments and how that creates self respect and on and on. Perhaps another good class would be "the basics of Mother Nature" which certainly does not allow humans to procreate without male and female. This "fairness" crap is just creating stupidity and an ugly Society instead of self-responsibility and morality. Study early Greek and Roman history and see where the lack of both of these practices destroyed both these countries. A good Society demands strong citizens who just don't put up with all the ignorance of today. Our Constitution (if followed correctly and not screwed up by arrogant/narcissistic/egomaniacal but very ignorant and misplaced individuals) is still the most powerful document the world has ever had that is the solid foundation for a free people. Bottom line is, though, individuals have to learn to live with "outside the normal" individuals, but never, ever promote same...especially in young minds that are so vulnerable to manipulation in wrong directions.

Our schools have interfered in areas they should never, ever address since the 60's and we are seeing the terrible results in some areas of America. I won't even go into how this da*ned cell phone/Ipad/laptop electronics should never be in the hands of youngsters in school. To just summarize, children have to learn to use their "BRAINS" to actual figure things out...not just push some dam*ed button and it is done for them. That is the quickest way to dumb-down the human brain I know of. This technology is only advantageous AFTER the children have learned to use their BRAINS!

Last edited by lorrysda; 06-02-2015 at 09:25 AM..

Old 06-02-2015, 09:36 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,041,135 times
Schools should teach people to respect each other. That's about it. Reinforcing respect for people regardless of creed, race, or sexuality, even if the parents are idiotic enough to teach bigotry to their children.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:39 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,404,313 times
If they do, they should promote bestiality too. What about the zoophiles? They feel so discriminated against now too. (Cry me a river... )

Old 06-02-2015, 09:40 AM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
If schools concentrated on the three Rs instead of all this diversity, tolerance, sexuality crap perhaps we wouldn't be graduating such stupid students who can't compete in a world economy. Maybe you haven't been keeping up with current events, but we just got our asses kicked, Pal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies