Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 09:01 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snallygaster View Post
White privilege is a fictional concept, a leftist excuse for victimhood- promoted both by racist liberal whites who regard black people as inferior- and feel the bar needs to be lowered for them, and by racist liberal blacks, who despise white people and blame the white man for all their problems.

Conservative blacks and whites agree that the concept of White privilege is utter BS, and is in itself a form of racism against both blacks and whites. Who coined the term, and why do people actually take it seriously?
I'm white and I don't agree that White Privilege is BS. It's less noticeable now that say 25 years ago but there were plenty of things white people could do that blacks couldn't for no other reason than the color of their skin. Red lining neighborhoods comes to mind for one thing and that didn't end until very recently. When my dad was growing up in the south he was used to black men stepping off the sidewalk when he walked by---White Privilege. Are you going to deny that our collective past isn't full of White Privilege situations like that? Sitting in the front of the bus for whites and in the back for blacks was another White Privilege. Either you don't understand the meaning of the term because you're undereducated or you are so filled with hate that you lack an sense of objectivity causing you to ignore the hard fact that White Privilege was very real.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:02 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,466,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Some White guy letting this reality slip. Whites have always been privileged in this country and a fighting hard to keep it that way. I am damn glad I am one. PS don't tell the rest.
Maybe it`s the same guy who coined the term "white guilt". If I treat a black person with the same respect I have for everyone else it`s supposedly because of my "white guilt". Indeed they are fighting hard to keep their supremacy.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:04 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I try to treat all people with the respect they deserve. Behavior is more important than skin color or appearance.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:08 AM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
Great question. "White privilege really came into its own in the late eighties, when Peggy McIntosh, a women’s-studies scholar at Wellesley, started writing about it. In 1988, McIntosh wrote a paper called “White Privilege and Male Privilege: A Personal Account of Coming to See Correspondences Through Work in Women’s Studies,” which contained forty-six examples of white privilege."

http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-...s-of-privilege

Old 06-02-2015, 09:11 AM

82 posts, read 272,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I think this "Your're the real racist!" tactic employed by some white conservatives against white liberals is foolish. Liberals are much more adept at slinging that kind of mud. Better to keep your hands clean.
The problem is that racism is more institutionalized on the left. Both white and black liberals want race to be the determining factor to elevate people, rather than their actual ability.
Unfortunately liberals who buy into BS like white privilege or buy into racist quota programs like affirmative action tend to judge people not by the content of their character, but rather by the color of their skin

Old 06-02-2015, 09:17 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
The same liberals who coined "a living wage" but somehow the people getting the wage are still living. huh... they are getting a living wage. When what they really mean is they want a wage that rocket scientist earn.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:25 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,166 times
Not that I see this topic resulting in constructive conversation, as thus far, the only responses to anyone's post has just been 'I agree with what you said.'

But as a white man, I can say with certainty that it does exist. But it has much less to do with being white, but more how much money you have. A born wealthy white kid and a born wealthy black kid will have very similar lives.

But that's not what makes the race issue interesting. For everyone born wealthy black kid, theres 25 born wealthy white kids. Poverty runs rampant amongst black people, and has for quite some time. And there are systematic reasons for it. If I ask you why black people live in the cities while white people primarily live in the suburbs and you don't immediately know the answer, you don't know enough about the topic to have a valid opinion.

I'll leave it at that for now. Ultimately, we're more divided by class than race.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:26 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,976,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The same liberals who coined "a living wage" but somehow the people getting the wage are still living. huh... they are getting a living wage. When what they really mean is they want a wage that rocket scientist earn.
With leftists, it's always about what the Joneses have. The world will never witness a more materialistic political movement. Its immigrant hotel housecleaners were even going to be homeowners, landed gentry, in the early '00s.

The world won't be equal until everyone can have a late model Sclade or Nissan Altima carrying a monster baby carriage with mylar Tweety Bird balloons and a dash switch to drop 5000 watts of 7 Hz onto a neighborhood.

Last edited by mm4; 06-02-2015 at 09:36 AM..

Old 06-02-2015, 09:45 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,047,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
With leftists, it's always about what the Joneses have. The world will never witness a more materialistic political movement. Its immigrant hotel housecleaners were even going to be homeowners, landed gentry, in the early '00s.

The world won't be equal until everyone can have a late model Sclade or Nissan Altima carrying a monster baby carriage with mylar Tweety Bird balloons and a dash switch to drop 5000 watts of 7 Hz onto a neighborhood.
What? Most of the materialistic people I know are right wingers...

Old 06-02-2015, 09:56 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,976,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westboundrambler View Post
What? Most of the materialistic people I know are right wingers...
Point to one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies